Napping... Good or Bad?

Options
I have been feeling extremely sleepy the last month. ( I do have a cold of course) But right after lunch, I just want to take a nap. Like I feel as if I could just pass out where I'm at. I take about an hour to hour n a half nap when my son takes his. Are naps bad if you are trying to lose weight?

Replies

• techcommdood
    techcommdood Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    They're not inherently bad, no. It just means you're not moving during that time. But you're not eating during that time, either. I wish I could nap. I either end up staring at the ceiling or sleeping for hours.
  • ashley2586
    ashley2586 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against naps. But i also dont know if they are good or bad for your dieting journey. I wouldnt think they are bad though really, i see it as resting up to wake up to have energy to tackle the rest of the day. maybe its a sign that you just need a little nutritious boost of energy and you should have a small snack and/or quick work out? I know working out helps wake some people up and get their energy back up!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    They are terrible if you've eaten right before as your metabolism will slow down and you'll store it as fat. Also make sure you eat right after waking back up to jump start your metabolism
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have heard that sleep can have a positive effect on weight loss- essentially ensuring one gets enough sleep. So I would vote it's good!

But then again, any excuse to take a nap is good by me!!

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping
    http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Drop+donut+take+sleep+loss+lead+diet+says+study/6760254/story.html
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    They are terrible if you've eaten right before as your metabolism will slow down and you'll store it as fat. Also make sure you eat right after waking back up to jump start your metabolism

Oh noes!!! Have we lost you to broscience?? Did you finally get tired of researching valuable information only to have someone tell you that you are wrong and that your progress pictures are not proof that you are right?

Did you finally give up on beating them and joined them?

Oh, the humanity!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

LOL.

You realize a good chunk of people are going to read that and go "Oh yeah, duh".
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    napping is the most awesome thing ever - i try and do it every day :)

I set an alarm to keep it to 10 - 15 minutes and need a big glass of water and an espresso when i get up, but I feel awesome for it!!

(I'm not losing much weight, but I've only just started this journey, so hopefully that'll happen soon...)
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    My mom says to much of that and you'll go blind so I try to limit it.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I won't rest until I've lost all the weight. I mean that literally. I have a pantry full of trucker drugs, and I haven't blinked since Feb.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't think naps have any negative affect on weight loss. Now if you are napping after a huge food binge that is another story, but if you are staying active and eating healthy I can only see it as beneficial. There are lots of studies that show people who get enough sleep lose weight more effectively than people who do not. (and by enough sleep I mean enough sleep for you...everyone is different, some people require less sleep.)
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Napping is not bad, is very good for your body to rest. How is your sleep at night? The amount of rest you get per day does matter in your health and effects your exercise.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    i think naps are just fine..as long as you are staying active the other times of the day. Sometimes the body just needs that extra sleep that a 30-40 min nap will take care of.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    funny_pictures_cat_has_naps_on_his_agenda_Cats_and_Dogs_and_one_Bunny-s500x375-2200111.jpg
  • DaleArden
    DaleArden Posts: 26
    Options
    To my mind, naps are GOOD. My brain misinterprets the signals for hunger, thirst, and tiredness all the time so it's really useful when I can identify that I'm sleepy and not hungry. Also, it has been well-documented that when you're underslept you're much more likely to make poor food choices. I know that if I'm tired, I have a tendency to compensate by snacking to get my energy levels up. Hence, nowadays I nap when I need to and it's easier to resist the extra snacks that my body doesn't really need.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I don't think naps are bad for you. I love to nap and I nap whenever I get the opportunity, which is not that often because my work gets in the way :grumble: I want a nap now :yawn:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I won't rest until I've lost all the weight. I mean that literally. I have a pantry full of trucker drugs, and I haven't blinked since Feb.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I just read about 15 foods that will boost your metabolism. Would be best to keep them next to you as you rise from the nap, so as not to induce the dizziness that sometimes accompanies starvation mode that I feel when I nap and then get up too quickly without eating something.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    funny_pictures_cat_has_naps_on_his_agenda_Cats_and_Dogs_and_one_Bunny-s500x375-2200111.jpg

Awww!

You knew this was coming, right?
  • ashley2586
    ashley2586 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My mom says to much of that and you'll go blind so I try to limit it.

I think you're thinking of a different kind of "nap" lol :blushing:
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Looooovvvve me some nappy time! I find that a good 30 minutes will perk me right up but anything over that will leave me groggy, although I'd happily nap for 2 hours if I could!