What is this vegetable?!?!

Options
cspong
cspong Posts: 260 Member
So, I started a Farm Share, or CSA (Community Shared Agriculure), where I get a box of produce (and eggs!) straight from the farm every week. So, I picked up my box today, and I don't know what one of the vegetables is! Never seen it before...

Its green and straight at the bottom, and curls wildly at the top. It doesn't have a strong smell either...

In the pic, its beside the asparagus and curls all the way over to below the tomato, lol.

wpid-2012-06-12-18-32-53.jpg?w=490

Does anybody know?

Replies

• barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Maybe chives gone crazy??
  • CaroseH
    CaroseH Posts: 72
    Options
    Is it green garlic?
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was going to say chives also.
  • mbk830
    mbk830 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Garlic chives (I only know this because my cousins also get them in their CSA box)
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I would say Garlic chives :).. My guess is decently supported by using Google Images.

http://tinyurl.com/6qvrw2z
  • cspong
    Options
    Aha! I found the name of them, they're Garlic Scrapes (weird name)! They actually taste SO good. In my research I took a big bite of one and now I have breath that could scare away vampires.

Planning on making Garlic Scrape Butter tonight :D
  • cspong
    Options
    *Garlic Scapes... Not Scrapes. I guess my brain just assumed it was Scrape, haha
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Garlic Scapes. They were EVERYWHERE at the Farmer's Market last weekend.
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    it's a garlic scape - the flower stalk of garlic plants. they are yummy! use like you would garlic or even spring onions. they make a great pesto too
  • JulieHearts
    JulieHearts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They make a super pesto too... Dump it all in a food processor. I use roasted walnuts or almonds instead of the pine nuts and low fat parmesan. Measure in the olive oil til its the consistency you want. Super on pasta!

I'm in a CSA in London Ontario and I love it. Can't wait for Veggie Thursday!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Try slicing it, it could be chives or green onion and the smell will be more pungent when the veggie is cut!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Check out this page I found with things to do with them! Now I want some!

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/the-crisper-whisperer-what-to-do-with-garlic-scapes-recipe.html
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Garlic Scapes. They were EVERYWHERE at the Farmer's Market last weekend.

Yup this is what it is. My CSA has been putting them in boxes as well.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Looks like garlic scrapes!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    Those are great in scrambled eggs! :smile:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Yep - garlic scapes. Slightly milder than garlic but you can put them in just about anything you'd put garlic in.

Meanwhile - love having a CSA - I eat so many more veggies now than ever before. Got mine today and spent the evening prepping veggies for various use. :-)
  • kristank03
    kristank03 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Love garlic scapes!