Wife not losing weight and she's frustrated

Options
Since I'm an engineer I'll give this in bullet format:
- Wife is 28 years old - never had kids 5' 2" SW 149 CW 137 GW 120
- We both started monitor calories and exercise in January
- I have lost 24lbs she has been stuck at about 12 lb lost for 2-3 months now
- She eats between 1200-1500 calories a day - 90% healthy/fresh/unprocessed etc
- She works out for anywhere between 20 min-50 min most days - sometimes a bike ride, ripped in 30, tread mill - nothing crazy intense
- She stopped hormonal BC 2 months ago
- Her measurements are very very slowly decreasing

All in all she keeps getting frustrated because she's working very hard and by all accounts doing everything right. I suggested seeing a doctor today thinking maybe a thyroid issue - I read the symptoms list and they seem like something anybody could have...

Unless she's sitting at work eating twinkies that she's not telling me about we're kind of at a loss for what else is in our control to help her out - Are we on the right track with a doctor or can anybody relate that they just lost really really slowly?

Just trying to help her out

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    You don't say what kind of healthy food she is eating. If the eating plan she is currently using is not working, my next suggestion is to tweak it.

I busted my butt in the gym for 3 months, and only lost 7 pounds. The first week in May, I decided to cut my carbs down ( to under 100g a day. Normal is 250g or so a day). The first week I lost 4.8 pounds, and I have lost 1-1.5 pounds a week for the last 4 weeks for a total of 9.8 pounds in 5 weeks.
  • TinaBina313
    TinaBina313 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that she goes to her doctor or a dietician. Anyways tell her to be proud of the 12 pounds its better than zero
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    For someone that works out every day, she may need to eat a bit more. If she burns ~300 and is only eating 1200, that's only 900 calories her body has to function and repair itself. A more accurate amount of calories would be TDEE - 15%
  • enginerd81
    enginerd81 Posts: 50
    Options
    You don't say what kind of healthy food she is eating. If the eating plan she is currently using is not working, my next suggestion is to tweak it.

I busted my butt in the gym for 3 months, and only lost 7 pounds. The first week in May, I decided to cut my carbs down ( to under 100g a day. Normal is 250g or so a day). The first week I lost 4.8 pounds, and I have lost 1-1.5 pounds a week for the last 4 weeks for a total of 9.8 pounds in 5 weeks.

Her diary has her at about 100-120 g per day. She has been eating gluten free/low since it tends to upset her stomach a bit.
  • MicheleTh
    MicheleTh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Want to follow. I have the same problem.
    My carbs are fruits and veggies. Very limited processed carbs (bread, pasta and rice) maybe 1 to 2 servings daily.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Has she thought about taking a break from the exercise for a couple of weeks? Maybe a total over haul of exercise? Maybe more strength training? Are you encouraging her? Oter than suggesting she see a doc? Or maybe just maybe her body is trying to tell her this is exactly where I need to be, leave me alone......just some random thoughts. Hope you figure this out and make sure you tell her she looks great and you are proud of her regardless....oh is there any new stress in her life?
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    She could try more intense workouts to hype up her metabolism?
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It would be easier for us to help if your wife had posted, so we could view her diary, but let me tell you what I am doing that is working.

I am 5'4 and currently 119 lbs. SW was almost 130. Anyway, I tried the 1200 cal diet and thought I would die of hunger. I like food. So I set my caloric intake to lose 1/2 per week. This gave me a calorie goal of about 1420+ exercise calories. Edit to add, I have been losing over 1 lb per week doing things this way.

Considering your wife is heavier than I am, her calorie goal should be a little higher than 1200 especially for exercising 7 days a week. Based on the calculator I ran, her BMR should be about 1429. These are the minimum calories she should be eating, and then eating back her exercise calories. Ripped in 30 should be burning about 200 calories for her, if not a bit more.

I would say your wife needs more food. She may not see results for the first couple of weeks after relaxing a bit on her diet, but by then it should pick up.

Hope that helps.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

This. Decrease carbs/ Increase protein. Also, add some strength training. Not 5lb dumbbells, but real weights. She may actually see an increase on the scale at first, but the inches will come off :wink:
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that her measurements are slowly decreasing is a good sign that she needs to (stop comparing herself to you possibly?) and keep on keeping on. It IS frustrating to lose so slow or not at all, especially watching you drop lbs. like flies.

She's so small and not very overweight. It'll be slow for her. If she's working out more than normal, muscle gains can mask fat loss, via the scale.

How closely does she track? Does she have any idea how much she expends daily? If so, how much of a caloric deficit is she logging?
  • wayhaps
    wayhaps Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The diet issues coincided with the time she came off hormonal BC? Seems like a large factor to me.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Her diary has her at about 100-120 g per day. She has been eating gluten free/low since it tends to upset her stomach a bit.

have her try to cut it down even lower for a week or so. Eat the lower carb fruits and veggies vs higher sugar or starchy ones. I pretty much eat berries and salad for my fruits and veggies. My "bread" items are high fiber/low carb tortillas, and wheat thins flatbreads for the most part. feel free to check out my diary for ideas... I have been attempting to hit 1200 calories for my net, so you'll see a lot of atkins advantage items...
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Since I'm an engineer I'll give this in bullet format:
    - Wife is 28 years old - never had kids 5' 2" SW 149 CW 137 GW 120
    - We both started monitor calories and exercise in January
    - I have lost 24lbs she has been stuck at about 12 lb lost for 2-3 months now
    - She eats between 1200-1500 calories a day - 90% healthy/fresh/unprocessed etc
    - She works out for anywhere between 20 min-50 min most days - sometimes a bike ride, ripped in 30, tread mill - nothing crazy intense
    - She stopped hormonal BC 2 months ago
    - Her measurements are very very slowly decreasing

All in all she keeps getting frustrated because she's working very hard and by all accounts doing everything right. I suggested seeing a doctor today thinking maybe a thyroid issue - I read the symptoms list and they seem like something anybody could have...

Unless she's sitting at work eating twinkies that she's not telling me about we're kind of at a loss for what else is in our control to help her out - Are we on the right track with a doctor or can anybody relate that they just lost really really slowly?

Just trying to help her out

I just wana say, hats off to you!! You sound like a wonderful supportive husband. Not alot of them would get on here and try and help out. Well done :-)
  • maryaroy32
    maryaroy32 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion is to investigate how frequently she's eating. If you spread it the food intake all day rather than your standard 3 meal plan, it forces your body to process non stop throughout the day. Least that's the line I got from my doctor when I started this weight loss journey. :laugh: Basically I eat 6 times a day; which is three base meals, and three small snacks. It works for me but I think it would be best to ask your doctor to make sure that there's nothing medically preventing her from losing and then ask if they have any advice of what to do next. I know it can be frustrating. Good luck.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I think the fact that her measurements are slowly decreasing is a good sign that she needs to (stop comparing herself to you possibly?) and keep on keeping on. It IS frustrating to lose so slow or not at all, especially watching you drop lbs. like flies.

She's so small and not very overweight. It'll be slow for her. If she's working out more than normal, muscle gains can mask fat loss, via the scale.

How closely does she track? Does she have any idea how much she expends daily? If so, how much of a caloric deficit is she logging?

This. Since she is small, she should be set at about 1/2 a pound a week. Measurements and pics are a much better indicator then the scale sometimes because of water weight, especially with her muscles constantly trying to repair themselves.
    It would be easier for us to help if your wife had posted, so we could view her diary, but let me tell you what I am doing that is working.

I am 5'4 and currently 119 lbs. SW was almost 130. Anyway, I tried the 1200 cal diet and thought I would die of hunger. I like food. So I set my caloric intake to lose 1/2 per week. This gave me a calorie goal of about 1420+ exercise calories. Edit to add, I have been losing over 1 lb per week doing things this way.

Considering your wife is heavier than I am, her calorie goal should be a little higher than 1200 especially for exercising 7 days a week. Based on the calculator I ran, her BMR should be about 1429. These are the minimum calories she should be eating, and then eating back her exercise calories. Ripped in 30 should be burning about 200 calories for her, if not a bit more.

I would say your wife needs more food. She may not see results for the first couple of weeks after relaxing a bit on her diet, but by then it should pick up.

Hope that helps.

What I said earlier, only better. :smile:
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had a simlar problem, I added calories and started to lose, sometimes when exercising, I don't seem to eat enough. I added 300 cals and then the weight started soming off again. If you are starving your body it will try and keep everything you eat.
    She might want to redo her goal with new weight and all of her exercise. It made changes in the amount of cals i eat in a day. I am not losing fast but I am losing.
    Good Luck
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I had a simlar problem, I added calories and started to lose, sometimes when exercising, I don't seem to eat enough. I added 300 cals and then the weight started soming off again. If you are starving your body it will try and keep everything you eat.
    She might want to redo her goal with new weight and all of her exercise. It made changes in the amount of cals i eat in a day. I am not losing fast but I am losing.
    Good Luck

Oooh point. With a new current weight, her stats will have changed. Doing the same thing after you've lost a significant amount will cause you to stall. Change it up a bit.
  • enginerd81
    enginerd81 Posts: 50
    Options
    The diet issues coincided with the time she came off hormonal BC? Seems like a large factor to me.

No, she had stalled a bit before and it was something we thought might be a factor. She's happier now that she's off hormonal.

We did 5 x 5 stronglifts for a few months along with cardio - So we've varied the exercise type.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Mix it up. Your body gets used to the same thing. The other point is that if you keep off 12 lbs for several months, you can think of it as successful maintenance. In order to lose more, you just need to tweak things and make a change.

The last few pounds are harder to lose.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask how closely she's tracking is she probably only burns around 1700 calories/day. If she's tracking 1200-1500 and has a 10% error rate (which is probably one of the BETTER trackers), that would be 1320-1650. If it's closer to the top end a lot of days, that's almost no deficit. I did ignore exercise here and assume sedentary so it's probably not that bad.

But if she's eating on track to lose a half pound a week that's only 2 lbs. a month and she could be offsetting that with muscle gain or even water retention from whatever. Or it could all be lost in food measurement error. Most of us miss stuff. When you get down to smaller numbers, it matters more. And of course we don't know her real burn values, just the averages.

I agree, you're a good hub for helping her!