Need more fiber

Options
Help please!! I need ideas here. I am relatively new to all of this calorie, etc counting but I am not getting anywhere close to my recommended fiber intake. I need help with ideas to boost my fiber without going crazy with the fat. Any help???

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Can't see what you're eating or how far short you are as your diary is private.

Many vegetables have significant fiber counts. I eat a lot of peas (rather high carbs as well, but I like them (this is important)) and they're high in protein (for veggies) and fiber. I also do mushrooms, green beans, and peas/carrots mixed. I eat all of these steamed with a little salt, so it doesn't add fat.
  • tgordon2004
    Options
    Thanks so much!!

I am very new to this site so I am still learning my way around with things. :)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Apples
    Fiber One bars
    High fiber cinnamon swirl oatmeal (Quaker)
    Strawberries
    La Tortilla low carb high fiber wraps

Check Google, too. Can probably find lists of high fiber foods out there.
  • jswain34
    jswain34 Posts: 2
    Options
    Flatout tortillas, La Tortilla Factory makes high fiber tortillas. I also get fiber from broccoli and almonds.
  • btraversbuzay
    Options
    If you like Flax seeds they're an easy way to add fiber and heart healthy fats to your diet. You can get the already ground into meal or whole seeds that need to be ground. I add them to Oatmeal, yogurt,and smoothies. But there are plenty more ways to incoropate them into your diet.
  • clotho
    clotho Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and veggies in general. Beans, 100% whole grain bread.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My fiber is always over. But to me the recommended intake on here is low. I have steel cut oats with chia seeds and ground flaxseeds for breakfast. Lots of veggies, berries everyday. I rarely eat bread or have other carbohydrates besides my oats. I love carrots, cucumber, celery, grape tomatoes with hummus.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    These are some of my fave high-fiber foods:

* Brownberry Double Fiber Whole Wheat Bread (or another brand of double fiber bread)
    * Fiber Plus Antioxidants Chocolatey Peanut Butter Bars
    * Vitafusion Fiber Gummies (2 gummies = 5g fiber; great in a pinch, available at a lot of grocery and drug stores)
    * Veggies, as others have posted. I like to make a combination of sweet potatoes, black beans, tomatoes, onions, corn, and minced garlic - it goes great with BBQ (but it's also good on its own), and the mix I make usually has about 9g fiber per serving, with only 1g fat
  • bballentine8132
    Options
    1/3 cup of all bran bites with yogurt (:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Beans
    vegetables...
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    fiber pills ...... they make gummies that taste like candy
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    RUN from white bread when you have a choice, always reach for whole grain.
    My fav's.:
    3 or 4 prunes on a fork - loaded with great nutrients, 3 gms. fiber
    Damascus Bakeries Roll-Ups - Whole Wheat - Roll-Up - 7gms. per serving (I found them at BJ's Wholesale club)
    Apples, raw carrots, smoothie with a cup of raw baby spinach thrown in, beans, hummus,
    hummus ON tomatoes ON whl. wheat crackers = yummy AND fiber! Tomato sandwich (on wheat of course), if you just have to have a chip, Sun Chips are whole grain.
  • outlaw5353
    outlaw5353 Posts: 50
    Options
    Everyday i just take metamucial fiber one scoop it works great for me plus alot of veggies
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Cereal (twigs 57% daily need) put them in your morning yogurt or with a very ripe banana! There are also those drink sticks that have fiber in them. a little change of pace from plain water and a little sweetness at night instead of dessert
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Metamucil keeps you regular too and is good for the heart too !!!!
  • JenInAustin
    JenInAustin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas so I make sure not to leave the house without having drunk at least 12oz of water first. So I use generic brand metamucil and mix it in water and drink as I'm getting ready every morning. Do the same in the evenings. It's not the way to get All your fiber but a good supplement.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's fiber bars! YUM!
  • cherylmonson
    Options
    The great thing about choosing fiber foods is you stay fuller longer. Whole grain anything, raw fruits and vegetables (leave the skins on when you can) all help to fill your tummy. Fiber also slows down the body's absorption of sugar so I feel that helps to ease my junk food cravings because I tend to not get blood sugar dives. FIBER IS MY FRIEND! :)
  • leapheart
    leapheart Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I use to eat GNU bars. They can be found in store like Homeconomist, Earth Fare, etc. However, MUCH cheaper if bought online. They average $1.50-$2.00 a bar. Check it out at www.gnufoods.com
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    avocados, fiber one bars, progresso high fiber soups(i love the tomato basil), whole grain pasta, corn, beans, brown rice, edamame, lentils, pears, whole grain breads, oatmeal, broccoli, etc...