Tofu.....make me wanna go there

Options
Debbiedebbiey
Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
I know it's good for you, can anyone give me some SIMPLE recipes? And which kind to try please!

Replies

• but1fly
    but1fly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Recipe: Crispy Baked Tofu Fries 

Ingredients
    1 8 oz. block of extra firm tofu
    1 c panko crumbs
    1/4 t sea salt
    1/4 t granulated garlic
    1/8 t ground cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions
    1.  Preheat the oven to 375°.  
    2.  Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray and set aside.  Cut the tofu into “fries” of about 1/2″ thick (unless you want them thicker, which is just fine).  Carefully wrap the tofu fries in a couple of paper towels, then set a plate, pan or cutting board on top to weigh them down.  Allow the tofu to sit like that for about 10-15 minutes, until most of the moisture is absorbed into the paper towels.  Unwrap and set aside.
    3.  In a medium bowl, mix the panko crumbs, salt and garlic until well combined.  Set up your “assembly line” with the egg mixture at the beginning, followed by the panko mixture.  Dip the tofu sticks in the egg mixture then transfer to the panko crumbs, coating the fries on all sides until completely covered.  Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the tofu.
    4.  Bake the fries for about 10 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy.  Allow to cool for a few minutes before handling.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Recipe: Crispy Baked Tofu Fries 

Ingredients
    1 8 oz. block of extra firm tofu
    1 c panko crumbs
    1/4 t sea salt
    1/4 t granulated garlic
    1/8 t ground cayenne pepper (optional)
    1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions
    1.  Preheat the oven to 375°.  
    2.  Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray and set aside.  Cut the tofu into “fries” of about 1/2″ thick (unless you want them thicker, which is just fine).  Carefully wrap the tofu fries in a couple of paper towels, then set a plate, pan or cutting board on top to weigh them down.  Allow the tofu to sit like that for about 10-15 minutes, until most of the moisture is absorbed into the paper towels.  Unwrap and set aside.
    3.  In a medium bowl, mix the panko crumbs, salt and garlic until well combined.  Set up your “assembly line” with the egg mixture at the beginning, followed by the panko mixture.  Dip the tofu sticks in the egg mixture then transfer to the panko crumbs, coating the fries on all sides until completely covered.  Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the rest of the tofu.
    4.  Bake the fries for about 10 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy.  Allow to cool for a few minutes before handling.

I make something like this, but with bread crumbs instead. They're really good! Make sure you get extra firm tofu though. Definitely make sure you drain it first though. I usually cut it up in 6 slices, put paper towels down on a cutting board, then put the tofu slices on top, cover with more paper towels and then another cutting board or plate on top of that with something heavy on it. I used to use one of my 5 pound weights or a gallon of water. After it drains 5 minutes or so, cut it up into whatever size you want, then freeze it overnight (at least). You can thaw it in the refrigerator or in the microwave when you're ready to use it. Then you'll have to drain it again before preparing it. Freezing it first makes it slightly chewier and meat like and less squishy. The first time I made it I didn't freeze it, and although I pressed it well they came out more like a quiche consistency. Good luck!
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    Sounds good, maybe a little tricky, but def worth trying!!! Thanks!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've found some good recipes here: http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/tofu-recipes.php

Basically, I love marinading and baking tofu to keep in the fridge for salads, quick meals and snacks. It pretty much perfectly takes up the flavor of the marinade, so I use whatever I'm in the mood for.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    http://chefinyou.com/2011/03/tofu-chocolate-pudding/

Ingredients

1 packet (12.3 oz) Mori Nu Organic Silken Tofu (firm) (or use regular silken tofu)
    2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 tbsp water

tofu-chocolate-pudding40.jpg

Any questions? :smokin:
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    Yeh, that makes me wanna go there ! How pretty!
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    look up alton brown (of food network)'s stuff on tofu. he'll show you how to get the water out, marinade it in a mix of asian flavors. and he makes a chocolate pie with the silken stuff...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=tofuworld&fnSearchType=site
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There's an easier way to make tofu fries... Cut a block of firm tofu into "fries". In a flat based large container, add a splash of rice vinegar, a splash of low sodium soy sauce and two crushed garlic cloves. Place tofu into container. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Turn container upside down so that all sides of tofu get marinated.

Then place fries onto a baking sheet and cook in a 350F oven for 25 minutes. Check if they're firming up nicely. I usually give them another 10 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave them in to dry for about 20 more minutes.

They are best eaten on the day, they get softer (but still nice) if you store them in the fridge overnight.
  • aussiegirl1990
    aussiegirl1990 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I stick tofu in with our chicken stir-fry.

Cook your normal stir fry but replace half of it with firm tofu. Cut it into small cubes and toss it in there for a good 10 minutes so it can soak up the flavor and sauces :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    There are other foods that are good for you too. If it is something you don't enjoy, you don't have to force it. If you haven't tried it, I would suggest getting it at first from someone who knows how to make it. It can be made in ways that are very tasty and in ways that are so horrid that no one should eat it.