Any suggestions for people who work odd shifts

Options
nene01pop
nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
Hi Ya'll...
I am new to this, as of TODAY... tracking everything I eat has been really time consuming, but I learned that I eat entirely all the wrong food, well duh, I am overweight... :noway: I am struggling tonight because I usually eat a meal at home with family before going to work at 6p.m. I wrote down everything I ate, and only had 44 cals left, :sad: and then 6 hours into my shift, I think I am starving... I am LOOKING for food. The closest thing to healthy in the machines were some sun chips... SO, I walked around the complex, then ate the chips with a bottle of water... now I am over my cal limit... but I still feel successful because if I hadn't been paying attention I would have had no telling how much sweet tea and other sneaky calorie foods...

My question is: any suggestions to help with a mid shift eating habits???????????

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• EstellaPNW
    Options
    Hi! I used to work swing and night shift years ago and I would pack fruits and veggies to snack on. (Btw, fruits are low glycemic carbs/low on the glycemic scale. Some would say no carbs at night, but ypu can decide on that one.) I also ate lean protein to fill me up. My routine was to do a workout before my shift to give me energy and then eat a well-rounded meal before work. I would eat my "dinner" at around 1-2 am and I kept it light. With your mid-shift nutritional needs, I would look at what you are eating before you go to work. I would suggest lean protein with your meals (whether animal-based or vegetable-based). This may keep you satisfied (as it does for me) until your next meal, in the morning in your case. Pack veggies and hummus, peanut butter, chicken breast, nuts, etc. for that mid-shift snack. Those are just my suggestions and things I pack/eat.

That's great you are walking around the complex, that will help burn some calories. Good luck and keep us updated! :)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    come to the official night shift thread, we will help you!!!
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I work overnight shift so I know how you feel. My eating habits are so different than others. What I have been doing is packing healthy foods to bring with me so when I do need to have something to eat at least I have the right choices here. If you would like, feel free to add me as a friend on here, we can provide support and encouragement to each other.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get discouraged just yet. The fact that your here says that your at least want to attempt to change your life. First of all it's not going to happen over night. Next it's not going to be easy. It's something that we have to be proactive with. I would start off with tons of research. Topics like what kind of foods to eat. Also look for ideas to get more active so that burning calories isn't a chore. Next make subtle changes and set milestones for yourself. And remember to keep a positive attitude!

Just take a second and breath... you'll be fine
  • yayam28
    yayam28 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, it's a great resource to help you on your journey....tracking food does get easier and way less time consuming as you do it more often. I'm a nurse who works shiftwork.....12hr backshift right now as a matter of fact. I find it a challenge to stay within my calorie goal (1400) on nights because I do have supper with my family before coming to work and then I'm here for 12 hours so yes, I need to eat. What works for me is keeping my supper light....I eat what I cook for them but an abbreviated version. I usually halve whatever I would usually eat so that I've only consumed half the calories of my usual supper. Then at work I have a meal usually around 11pm (usually the same number of calories that my supper had) and a few snacks afterward spaced out enough to feel like you're not starving. Tonight for snacks it was yogurt, almonds, cherries and a treat (Thinsations White Chocolate Drizzled Caramel Corn....so yummy). I also HAVE to squeeze in a workout before nights just in case I end up famished and need something more to eat....then I have the wiggle room to do so and if I don't I've increased my calorie deficit :-) Hope this helps and good luck!
  • nene01pop
    Options
    This is great... I didnt realize people would be up and posting stuff this late, but I suppose there are other night owls. Thanks for all your suggestions and keep em coming! I plan to head to grocery store to get some "healthy" foods tomorrow. My supper was not a good choice, but to my defense I just signed up today.
  • Kelli2u
    Kelli2u Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been working night shift for years. I have recently started really paying attention to what I bring to eat. I pack my meals for the next day the mornnig I get home from work. I work 12 hour night shifts and am on my 7th right now with one more to go. I don't know about where you work but at my hospital our cafeteria isn't open at night which works out great, no temptation until 6:30 am. I make sure I pack only healthy stuff but healthy stuff I know I will eat so I don't just say "I don't want that " and find something else to munch on. I never go to those fast food places at night anymore or accept any offers for someone to pick something up for me. I actually do better on my days working because I have really no options. Its my days off that kill me an what I have to work hard on. I also stick to a schedual if I can of when I eat. I start work at 7pm, take my first break at 10pm and eat a snack, at 2 am I eat lunch and at 630 I grab healthy breakfast from the cafeteria. I make sure the cafeteria staff and my coworkers know I am trying to eat healthy so when they see me come up with my food I am held accountable. (I work in a small hospital so everyone knows everyone and their business, that can be both good and bad).
  • Kelli2u
    Options
    I am also new on here and looking for friends so you and anyone can please feel free to add me.
  • Kelli2u
    Options
    Oh and lots of water!!!!! I try to drink at least 8 glasses a day it makes a difference. I tend to retain fluid a litte. I have enough stuff to watch and I really don't want to add salt to that list. My dietician told me that if I am not a person who adds salt to stuff and don't have heart or blood pressure issues not to worry a lot about the salt but the keep the water intake up. It makes a huge difference to me. I also really don't like plain water so I add Mio and love it.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I switch my goal from 1lb a week to 1/2 lb a week while I am on nights, it gives me more wiggle room and allows me those extra cals I want to help me stay awake. I also make sure I get my workout in before work because I know I am tired when I get done. I switch around a couple times a month and the days I switch are the only ones that are really hard. Because of all the wierd hours, I just log for 24hr periods in 4 hr blocks in my journal.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    come to the official night shift thread, we will help you!!!

YES ^^^^^This, I work swing shift now, I am at the end of my two night shifts, many people on the nightshift and they all have great pointers.
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I struggle to, I work days & nights. I try to take healthy stuff with me otherwise the vending machine is far to tempting! Also if im awake during the day and then do a shift at night I log everything for that 1 day, even if it's past midnight. It's hard, but if I don't I end up using tomorrows calories before it's even here! Also drink tons, as this fills you up. Just keep going you cam do it!!!!! Feel free to add me! That goes for all of you!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Congrats for making changes for the better.

I spent my first few weeks of logging in total shock. I thought I ate fairly decent, and couldn't figure out why my weight kept creeping up. Seeing what I was consuming has been so empowering. It takes some time, at first, but you'll soon learn how to make better choices.

My biggest piece of advice would be to plan in advance whenever you can, rather than logging after you eat. If you see that your snack is going to cost you too many calories, you may decide on a healthier option, or to decline it altogether. (I have had 1/2 of a small milkshake cost me my dinner. Never again!)

Also...don't trust yourself to estimate portion sizes. Get a scale and weigh EVERYTHING! My food scale and my heart rate monitor have been worth their weight in gold.

Drink your water.
    Eat well and eat often (the hunger-monster will cause you to make bad choices every time!)
    Increase your daily protein target and try to get some protein at every meal (to increase satiety and prevent muscle loss.)
    Try to get fresh, whole foods in your diet. Processed and prepackaged foods are usually high in sodium and low in nutrients.
    Don't obsess over cravings. If you can't stop yourself with certain foods (hmmm...pasta, I hear you calling!) then avoid it when you are hungry. Otherwise, plan foods you really love into your day/week. Denial will only lead to a binge later on.

Good luck!
  • nene01pop
    Options
    Day 2 has been a little bit easier... Made a trip to grocery store and got some salad stuff and deli sliced ham and turkey... I tried to portion out my ranch dressing, but oh man I love the stuff! I did about 3 tablespoons and it was a huge salad... you can eat alot of lettuce for small amount of cals... wahoooo! I splurged and put some crackers on top, but I love croutons too, but rationing crackers seemed easier. I made extra so I have some to munch on tonight at work. I have drank alot more water today too... But, I did get a diet coke on way to work. I will have to log that in too...ewwww This system seems like it holds me alot me accountable then any other, so we shall see.