Controlled carb, high protein diet

Options
2»

Replies

• VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    Im in a place where my calories, exercise and diet are very stable so i can tweak to try various things 'scientifically'

I can say that low carb , high carb , low fat , high fat has no bearing. Its simply calories in = weight.

Too many cals you get fat

The correct ammount you stay same

Up to 500 under maintain every day and you will lose a pound for every 3600 under

Eat less than 500 and you wont lose cos you go into starvation .... Or more realisticaly your actual average will shoot up because you will pig out.

Ive tried them all . Tried to be objective .. But its all about cals and low this and high this and that are just 'tricks' to get you to stick to the correct cals

well, as a former type 2 diabetic, I will disagree with you on this.
    1. I don't do well at all on a high carb plan, my body chemistry fails at handling it miserably. I'm glad you can eat however, but many of us can't.
    2. starvation mode is mostly a myth.
    3. there is a 2 calorie/gram of fat advantage to burning ketones as opposed to burning fat. You simply burn more fat grams due to it being inefficient. Great for those needing to lose a large amount.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Quick question (maybe controversial). Those of you who count your carbs, do you count total carbs or net carbs (total carbs minus fiber)?
    Being in the UK it's simple as our labels quote carbohydrates without fibre anyway, which are the same as your net carbs.

"Net carbs" is a construction of the FDA's labelling approach.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So this tells me that my body doesn't not take fiber into account. does that make sense?
    Not really, I think that shows that using more insulin drops your blood sugar quicker. Fibre isn't really digested so shouldn't impact blood sugar much.

Take a slightly extreme case - wheat bran. An ounce of that has 18g of total carbs, 12g of fiber, 0g of sugars, 6g of net carbs and a glycemic load of 2g. I think if you dosed for the 18g you would go hypo.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    my Protein/carbs/fat ratios are: 35/35/30. I am usually a little under on carbs and aim for being over on protein every day. I am often over on fat too... I don't mind at all. I could probably set them for 40/25/35 and be spot on.
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like the term 'controlled carb' - that's what I'm trying to do too (with varying degrees of success). I've been struggling a bit with breakfasts the last week or so (am all egged out!) but I'm ready to get back into the swing of things now. The primary reason for attempting low carb is really to curb my sugar addiction (I don't have much of an issue with grains, can take them or leave them, but SUGAR is my downfall). I also tend to have low blood sugars (my last three fasting tests have varied between 1.8 and 2.2) so I'm also hoping it will help balance out that issue. Would also like to befriend like-minded people!
  • MrsRoundbottom
    Options
    I too am trying to keep protein higher than carbs, its helping me shift the last few pounds. feel free to add for motivation & good luck :D
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options
    Im in a place where my calories, exercise and diet are very stable so i can tweak to try various things 'scientifically'

I can say that low carb , high carb , low fat , high fat has no bearing. Its simply calories in = weight.

Too many cals you get fat

The correct ammount you stay same

Up to 500 under maintain every day and you will lose a pound for every 3600 under

Eat less than 500 and you wont lose cos you go into starvation .... Or more realisticaly your actual average will shoot up because you will pig out.

Ive tried them all . Tried to be objective .. But its all about cals and low this and high this and that are just 'tricks' to get you to stick to the correct cals

well, as a former type 2 diabetic, I will disagree with you on this.
    1. I don't do well at all on a high carb plan, my body chemistry fails at handling it miserably. I'm glad you can eat however, but many of us can't.
    2. starvation mode is mostly a myth.
    3. there is a 2 calorie/gram of fat advantage to burning ketones as opposed to burning fat. You simply burn more fat grams due to it being inefficient. Great for those needing to lose a large amount.

Starvation mode isn't a myth. It just takes a lot longer to kick in than a lot of people think.
  • cheekycherries
    cheekycherries Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The impact that carbs (glucose) has on your insulin levels resulting in weight gain rings true to me. A low fat diet would I'm sure work and in fact I've seen it happen. Maybe it's true to say that most generally work of you stick to them. However due to internal body chenistry, I feel it's more beneficial to the body to opt for controlled (lower ratio) carb diet. At least that's what I prefer and feel it's working for me right now. The body is a genius so who knows when I'll have to change it up!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Cc. Xx