Why is weight loss like a yo-yo?

Options
No it's not a riddle, (Why is a raven like a writing desk?), It's real..... and very annoying.

I weigh myself everyday. I know people say not to do this, but I am a data-queen and like seeing how my body responds to daily situations etc. I don't obsess over it, which is why people say not to weigh everyday..... I just like seeing how my body fluctuates and what the triggers may be.

So what I've noticed for me is that while there is a downward trend in weight, I do it in "phases". It's like I stay in this weight range of about 3 pounds, and it's the range that falls, not the weight. Does that make sense? So for example, I started out at 163lbs (am now 153, well, 153-ish). I would get on the scale on random day and see that I lost one pound (162). YAY.... And then for a few days it would be back up. Then randomly, I would have a new low, say 160.5..... YAY, and then for a few days it would be back up, but not all the way to 163. And it would keep going like that.... So a few days ago, I got on the scale and had a new low of 153.1, but have been hovering at 154.5 for a few days, and any day now, I expect to see a new low, and then go back up. It's like a yo-yo that slowly gets lower and lower every time. Not complaining, just observing.

I know I can't expect to always see a lower number everytime..... that is just unrealistic. I am used to these fluctuations, but I was really just wondering what causes the body to do this.... Yeah, I know changes in water weight, blah, blah, blah, but seriously, it's got to be more than that I think. I don't think my body is CONSTANTLY changing in water weight every day.... not by 2 lbs or so. Does anyone else lose like this? What is the reason for it?

Replies

• j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact situation as you. I can go down 3-4 lbs but by my official weigh-in day it's either at my previous weigh-in weight or maybe a few ounces less. I watch my weight every morning fluctuate those lost pounds but be up again by the next week. And the cruelest thing is it shows a big loss the morning after I do my official weigh-in.:noway:
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself constantly through out the day, for the same reasons I want to see how my body weight is effected by day to day activities. So far I have no understanding of the way my weight will fluctuate through out the day. I record my weight in the morning every morning. My body stays more consistent day to day when I drink tons of water. I usually get 100+oz/day.
  • abermouse68
    abermouse68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is probably like this. Ive noticed the same thing too....Im also a 'data queen'. I think how much we weigh is affected by what we take in, body fluids, etc. And it could also be the scale itself.
  • Annkie
    Annkie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I'm sure you know to weight yourself in the morning (after bathroom and before water and food) to get the most accurate number. I think the yo-yo effect is a result of a few factors one of which is water, as you mentioned it. Another one is just fluids you retain when you weight lift. When a person exercises with weights their muscles retain more fluids. So it would not be a surprise to be a bit heavier on those days or the morning after then in a day drop like half a pound or more. At least I've noticed that with myself. Either way, I find it extremely annoying and sometimes discouraging.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    1 quart of water weighs a little over 2 lbs. 2000 calories of quality food will weigh a little over 2 lbs (assuming water-rich vegetables, fruit and lean cuts of meat). If you weigh 100 lbs, that is about a 4-5% variation every day.