eating too much?

Options
fibecky
fibecky Posts: 15 Member
hey guys.
think im eating too much in a day can anyone help out this is an idea of what i eat in a day
breakfast
2 slices of wholemeal toast
mid morning snack- apple
lunch- piece of fruit and low fat soup
mid afternoon snack- fruit and a low fat granola bar
dinner time- weight watchers ready meal with veg
im eating my full calorie allowance on the food tracker
but last time i tried doing this i gained weight im really worried that its going to happen again maybe i should aim for 1000 calories instead of 1200 ?
xx

Replies

• Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    U need more food not less
  • dwclaire
    dwclaire Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yeah don't forget eating regularly and the right foods keeps your metabolism going :) if youre really worried maybe have smaller portions (not sure how thats possible with like apples and stuff lol, but u see where im coming from)

you should be fine if youre sticking to your limits!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    1000??? Try 1400 you'll feel much better, also low fat doesn't make you lose any faster, so unless you have a health condition or a dietitian told you to do low fat, I wouldn't worry about it.. =]
  • lnfunchess
    lnfunchess Posts: 20
    Options
    Are you kidding???? You need more food not less. Your may not even be at your BMR just to sustain living. Cal. your TDEE and BMR to determine how much you should be eating. 1000-1200 is not enough.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding???? You need more food not less. Your may not even be at your BMR just to sustain living. Cal. your TDEE and BMR to determine how much you should be eating. 1000-1200 is not enough.

This.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Yeah exactly waht she said!! Go to fat2fit.com and figure out you BMR. Make sure you NEVER go below that. You are safe eating HIGHER than your BMR also...... especially if you are working out!! Just don't go obelow it!! It sounds crazy, but give it a few months, and you will see the difference in your energy and moods, be able to push through workouts and daily activity so much easier, AND you WILL LOSE!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Simpler to open your diary so we can see what it adds up to. Also how tall are you and what is your current weight ?
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Where is your protein? You need more protein.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more. :( Try good fats like almonds and other nuts/nut butters, avocado, and more protein!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have hardly any PROTEIN. I'd have to punch it into my diary to know for sure.

Also, it would help to know your height & your current weight. Do you work out?

Unless you are petite or have other issues going on, 1000 calories isn't alot of fuel.

Good Luck. You've just got to experiment with different things until you find what works for your body.
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    What everyone else is saying, you need to eat more!! It does sound crazy, you have to eat the right kind of foods, drink lots of water, and read as much as possible about which foods are the best for you and whatever goal you are trying to accomplish.
  • uxbridgeheli
    Options
    It looks like an OK menu
    Don't think I'd be having the processed WW meal though.
    You could make your own much more neutritional version at home.
    So many quick and easy recipes.
    Are you exercising? If so you many need more calories.
    It's all about trial and error and what works best for your body.
    Good luck - H x
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    IF this is truly your diet then I believe your body is going into starvation mode. It is simply storing any form of carb and sugar that you intake in fear that it will be cut off.
    You need to up your food calories to 1300-1400 a day. I recently went from 1200 to 1278/1300 and lost 4 lbs.
    Good Luck !
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Your brain
    Your lungs
    Your heart
    Your liver
    Your kidneys
    Your pancreas
    Your veins
    Your skin
    Your immune system
    Your speech
    Your hearing
    Your wanting to change the channels on the tv
    Your not being able to find the controller
    Your crossing the floor to try to figure out how to do it from the screen
    Your accusing your wife/husband/partner of hiding the controls
    Your walking on the remote in bare feet
    Your loud cursing
    Your eventually changing the channels on the tv
    Anything else I left out

..... this all takes fuel to run. Like a car engine needs petrol, diesel or electricity when it is in motion, 'uman beans (us) need a minimum amount of calories to function. Except we need it all the time, not just when we are hopping around the front room in agony cos we stepped on the sharp edged remote with our little tootsies.

You must burn about 3500cals to lose a lb. A 1000cal a day (7000cal a week) difference between calories burned by living and exercise will mean you lose 2lbs a week.

So if it takes 2200 cals to keep your engine ticking over, eating 1200 with no exercise will mean you lose 2lbs a week.

If you exercise, you use up your cals that your body needs to keep the engine running so you have to eat those to keep you in peak condition. So eating your engine ticking over level + your exercise cals burned keeps your body in tip-top condition and makes you fitter too. WIN.

I currently eat about 2000+ cals a day and lose 2lbs a week.
    My ticking over level is 1280 and I exercise another 700-1000 cals on top of that which I enjoy every mouthful of eating back.

You need to work around with the figures and find out what works for you.

Some have to eat more protein to keep them fuller for longer.
    Some have to eat more carbs as they already have very active lives outside of exercising to lose the weight.
    Some have to take a serious look at their sodium levels

Personally, during my TOM, I take my weightloss goal down to 1/1.5lbs per week because I get so hungry. Works for me and I keep on losing.

Read the motivational stories in the Success Stories forum for the 'how I did it' accounts. They tell a consistent story of eating back your exercise cals.

Log your food, log your exercise, use the site goal recommendations as a starting point and adjust from there to get the results you want. Stick around, read a lot. Record everything that seems relevant to you. Weight loss is an experiment in which you find out what works best for you and your body. Best of luck!

If you want more explanation, read this: http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/ I found it very useful.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Are you putting anything on the toast? Are you counting condiments?

I don't think you need to eat less, but you know your body. Are you adding in any workouts as well?

It's hard for any of us to judge what you should eat when we don't really know you/your body/your lifestyle.
  • fibecky
    fibecky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hi guys thanks for all ur help.
    going to try and eat more meat for the protein less ready meals
    im 5ft5 and weight 145lbs
    i work out 60mins cardio 5 times a week + 3 30mins muscular stregnth and endurance session aswell
    sometimes i will add another cardio session if im not to tired plus odd dog walks too and i look after horses few times a week

going to stick at i with the eating as long as i dont start gaining weight have to say i do have more energy and its only week one
    thanks guys xx
  • JenMull44
    Options
    Your brain
    Your lungs
    Your heart
    Your liver
    Your kidneys
    Your pancreas
    Your veins
    Your skin
    Your immune system
    Your speech
    Your hearing
    Your wanting to change the channels on the tv
    Your not being able to find the controller
    Your crossing the floor to try to figure out how to do it from the screen
    Your accusing your wife/husband/partner of hiding the controls
    Your walking on the remote in bare feet
    Your loud cursing
    Your eventually changing the channels on the tv
    Anything else I left out

..... this all takes fuel to run. Like a car engine needs petrol, diesel or electricity when it is in motion, 'uman beans (us) need a minimum amount of calories to function. Except we need it all the time, not just when we are hopping around the front room in agony cos we stepped on the sharp edged remote with our little tootsies.

You must burn about 3500cals to lose a lb. A 1000cal a day (7000cal a week) difference between calories burned by living and exercise will mean you lose 2lbs a week.

So if it takes 2200 cals to keep your engine ticking over, eating 1200 with no exercise will mean you lose 2lbs a week.

If you exercise, you use up your cals that your body needs to keep the engine running so you have to eat those to keep you in peak condition. So eating your engine ticking over level + your exercise cals burned keeps your body in tip-top condition and makes you fitter too. WIN.

I currently eat about 2000+ cals a day and lose 2lbs a week.
    My ticking over level is 1280 and I exercise another 700-1000 cals on top of that which I enjoy every mouthful of eating back.

You need to work around with the figures and find out what works for you.

Some have to eat more protein to keep them fuller for longer.
    Some have to eat more carbs as they already have very active lives outside of exercising to lose the weight.
    Some have to take a serious look at their sodium levels

Personally, during my TOM, I take my weightloss goal down to 1/1.5lbs per week because I get so hungry. Works for me and I keep on losing.

Read the motivational stories in the Success Stories forum for the 'how I did it' accounts. They tell a consistent story of eating back your exercise cals.

Log your food, log your exercise, use the site goal recommendations as a starting point and adjust from there to get the results you want. Stick around, read a lot. Record everything that seems relevant to you. Weight loss is an experiment in which you find out what works best for you and your body. Best of luck!

If you want more explanation, read this: http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/ I found it very useful.
  • JenMull44
    Options
    This is amazing advice. I also upped my calorie intake by 1000 and started to lose weight.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    hi guys thanks for all ur help.
    going to try and eat more meat for the protein less ready meals
    im 5ft5 and weight 145lbs
    i work out 60mins cardio 5 times a week + 3 30mins muscular stregnth and endurance session aswell
    sometimes i will add another cardio session if im not to tired plus odd dog walks too and i look after horses few times a week

going to stick at i with the eating as long as i dont start gaining weight have to say i do have more energy and its only week one
    thanks guys xx

You may gain a pound or two (or maybe up to 5 or so) when you start eating more... this is normal during a re-feeding period and it needs to happen before the weight can start coming off again. The alternative is you lower your calories again and again and eventually you're maintaining your weight on 800 calories/day while your body slowly and systematically shuts down.

Please check out the group "Eat More to Weigh Less" and read through the stickies in there. Don't fear a pound or two on the scale and sacrifice your overall health. When you can't handle seeing a 2 lb gain you might want to consider that your thinking is slightly disordered...

Fuel your body. Live your life. You can be healthy and slim without having to work so hard to figure out how to feel okay eating 1000 calories/day or less.
  • kma72
    kma72 Posts: 2
    Options
    Keep an eye on your sugar intake.