please help me make a wise decision rejoin the y or exercise

Options
I stopped the Y this summer cause I never went. I enjoyed walking outside. I still do but winter is coming. I want a treadmil but can't dig up that much money.

I kind of hate exercising in a room full of people and with the flu, I'd rather be at home. Do I go to Sears and end up with a cheap version of what i want?

I dunno what to do. kc

Replies

• oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    look in craig's list for a tread mill! (and/or other exercise equipement) :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
    a lot of people want to rid themselves of 'em.:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    i've even seen them free there before.:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have been and they are running around 600 bucks. And I'm am very afraid of letting go of that much money for one that is possibly breaking down. That is why most people buy new because they get a warranty. 600 buck is a lot to lose. Thanks for the suggestion, though. kc
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I would buy a treadmill. I got the Proform XP 620 from sears and have had it for almost 2 years now. My brother in law had to tighten the bearing but it is fine now. Can you walk in the mall? That is free. Also you could try some DVDs like Walk Away the Pounds and Prevention Walk
  • katznketo
    Options
    Thank you for the info. I will look this machine up. yes, I've got all those tapes. I think I'm just hormonal. My 55 bday is in three weeks and I want to lose 70 pds before it. lol
    kc
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have a treadmill. If you can swing it, get one.
  • Cheriperkins
    Cheriperkins Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If your interested in working out at home, check out these programs at www.cperkifitness.net and let me kow if your interested in them, I can show you how to get a discount. (Its less expensive than the treadmill) :happy:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    If your interested in working out at home, check out these programs at www.cperkifitness.net and let me kow if your interested in them, I can show you how to get a discount. (Its less expensive than the treadmill) :happy:
    I wish we could just click on these web address's and be able to go to them!!! Thanks! kcwriter, I too suggest the fitness channell on TV or check into the walk away the poungs dvd's! Check ebay for these! I went together with my son and bought a commercial grade eliptical off ebay from a fitness center going out of business, spendy but worth EVERY penny and with just us using it should last for a very long time! I also have a treadmill and I use that when someone else in the family is using the eliptical! Post a WANTED add in your paper but check out treadmills first so you can be specific as to what you really want so you won't get junk calls! I wish you the best!
  • katznketo
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. i don't really know what I want to do. I am just wanting to get healthy and these pounds off. I don't seem to get them off the scale when I exercise. Go figure!

But I do lose inches and am stronger so I guess that's my answer. i need to go where I can afford. And my car is falling apart, I have very low income, and here I am thinking of buy an elliptical? the Y is 39.00 a month for me. I guess that's all that makes sense for now. thanks all, kc
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Personally, I know I hate going to the gym. I went ahead and bought a 6 month membership this summer.... and now haven't been in the past 2 full months. WASTE OF MY MONEY! It irritates me but I knew it would happen. I was hoping spending the money would mean I'd go but it didn't.

If you know you don't want to go to the gym, buy something for home. If you don't have the money now, maybe you can look into same-as-cash type credit payments. (Some people are good with these, some people are not. Depends on your situation and feelings towards credit. I bought a laptop same as cash last year and will have it paid off before any interest hits the charges, so it was a great purchase for me, not having to upfront the money but getting what I want.)

Craigslist is also a great option. (Someone else mentioned that earlier.) Good luck with whatever you choose!

Also, just to point it out, $39 a month x a year membership = $468. (I don't know if there is that commitment to the Y, but I know ours also has a join fee of $50 or $75.) Add that all up and that is a lot of money you could throw towards a nice(r) treadmill for home that you'd own.
  • katznketo
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I didn't go and join this morning. First of all it is beautiful out. I went and walked along the marina that overlooks the San Fransisco Bay. Can't get that at the Y.

But I decided that I will take it a day at a time. I do think I would love a treadmil for the house and I am praying that will happen. Be blessed, kc
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi kc,

I see you live in CA, and mentioned the San Francisco bay. How cold does it get there?

You can buy technical clothes and walk in all kinds of weather.

TJ Maxx or Marshals or any of those types of places have some great deals in athletic gear. And if it rains a lot, well you can buy clothes for that too.

I'd try and keep walking outside myself.

:flowerforyou: