Popcorn?

Options
gecho
gecho Posts: 426 Member
I'm not much of a popcorn eater, however I do like kettle corn (& i like the not at all healthy like marshmallow, carmel corn etc). This being said i'm trying to try some different popcorn ideas 'cause as long as you don't put tons of butter & salt it can be a really low cal snack. so...

ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Replies

• sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I loooveeeee popcorn. So sad it's not in my diet anymore. My trainer says corn is one of the vegetables to avoid if possible.. because of the high sugar / carb content. :sad:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat it all the time! I pop kernels in a brown paper bag in the microwave & add my own seasoning. Way cheaper than the store bought microwave stuff and much healthier. I use 1/4c of kernels (serving size on the bag) on the micro's popcorn setting - works great. You can of course use less popcorn & adjust the time - same as the store bought stuff, stay by the microwave & stop it when there's a second or two between pops.

My usual topping is some coconut oil and a little salt - the coconut gives it a little sweetness and it's a healthier fat that good ol' butter! You could also add hot sauce, parmesan, herbs - whatever!
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    I eat it all the time! I pop kernels in a brown paper bag in the microwave & add my own seasoning. Way cheaper than the store bought microwave stuff and much healthier. I use 1/4c of kernels (serving size on the bag) on the micro's popcorn setting - works great. You can of course use less popcorn & adjust the time - same as the store bought stuff, stay by the microwave & stop it when there's a second or two between pops.

My usual topping is some coconut oil and a little salt - the coconut gives it a little sweetness and it's a healthier fat that good ol' butter! You could also add hot sauce, parmesan, herbs - whatever!

Hey..everything you said is something new to me. I like the idea. How do you put the kernels and coconut oil inside the brown paper? I mean how do you seal them? And do you use a special brown paper made for popcorn or anything?
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    I eat it almost every evening. Pop it, then use spray butter so I keep the calories down. Very filling, and it has helped keep me from eating junk. Seems to be working really well...
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I bought an air popper, and I love having air popped popcorn with different seasonings. One thing I really like is Old Bay seasoning, which is usually used for seafood. It's salty but it also has a little bite to it. Sometimes I use it alone, other times, I'll melt a little Smart Balance spread and pour it over the popcorn. Mmmmm!
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I tried the brown bag method, and it didn't work too well for me. I ended up burning the popcorn a lot.

I make it in a huge soup pot on the stove. I melt a little coconut oil in the pot (has a high heat tolerance) and then add my kernels (about 1/4 to 1/3 cup). Once they start popping, I add about a tsp of brown sugar and a good shake of cinnamon; make sure you keep stirring or it will burn, but keep the lid mostly on the pot. Then when it's all done, I add a tiny sprinkle ground sea salt (to get the sweet and salty).

It's super yummy!
  • jumpn4u
    jumpn4u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    check out hungry girl she has a TON of popcorn toppings i love parmesan cheese, and then maybe some Italian seasoning. I to like the junky kind so I add raisins and some dark chocolate. I keep mine around 150 calories. This helps me to balance the sweetness I craze and the weight I wanna lose!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn sprinkled with garlic pepper - YUMMY
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I loooveeeee popcorn. So sad it's not in my diet anymore. My trainer says corn is one of the vegetables to avoid if possible.. because of the high sugar / carb content. :sad:

Do some more research on your own about this. My chiropractor believes corn to be evil but others will tell you popcorn is a whole grain high fiber wonderful treat.

Do not eliminate anything because one person said so...figure it out with a little research of your own. It probably won't be hard to find evidence to support that one person, trick is, how easy is it to find equally good arguments that oppose that one person?

As far as popcorn is concerned...YUMMMMMMM I love it with butter and salt but I have also sprinkled garlic salt and spritzed with spray olive oil
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options

This.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I only like air popped popcorn and it's only 100 calories for 5 cups! I do add a little bit of butter (1/2 tablespoon) and salt to taste.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I actually bought a popcorn popper because I didn't want all the chemicals in the microwave popcorn stuff. You can make kettle corn using different sweeteners. I also make one when I want something sweet with a little butter spray and cinnamon and sugar mix. then the regular stuff when i want salt etc... works well
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Hey..everything you said is something new to me. I like the idea. How do you put the kernels and coconut oil inside the brown paper? I mean how do you seal them? And do you use a special brown paper made for popcorn or anything?

Don't put any oil in the bag. Just the popcorn. Fold bag over a couple of times. Micro on the popcorn setting. I've never had it burn but I do listen for the popping to slow and stop it if needed. I top mine with a mist of pam cooking spray and then sprinkle a bit of sugar and salt on. (The pam makes the sugar and salt stick)
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Just fold it over once or twice and just use the cheap lunchbags from Walmart/Dollar Store with a flat bottom (most do).
  • lane823
    lane823 Posts: 41
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher's 100 calorie mini bag Kettle Corn! Nom Nom!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I have an air popper (best $25 investment ever!). I spray it with a bit of oil or I can't believe it's not butter and then I flavor with these.

popcorn-salt.jpg

I -love- popcorn.

Love it.

Though if you aren't shooting for straight up clean eating, get some Orville Reddenbachers Ultimate Butter. The entire popped bag has just under 70 calories and it's amazing.

DON'T fall for those 100 calorie packs! They are lies! They are these tiny little bags that you pay premium price for! Like I said, you can eat full bags of popcorn for 70-90 calories (the Movie Theater Butter is also very good for this)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    er...carbs and sugar won't kill you or make you gain weight? It's about calories, obviously you should be consuming better quality calories to perform better but I guess if corn makes you feel sick that would be a legitimate reason.

Anyway, OP, I don't like cheese anymore back in highschool I used to put parmasean cheese or shredded cheddar on my popcorn.
    Garlic or onion powder is good too.
  • mkgrayson
    mkgrayson Posts: 17
    Options
    I bought an air popper, and I love having air popped popcorn with different seasonings. One thing I really like is Old Bay seasoning, which is usually used for seafood. It's salty but it also has a little bite to it. Sometimes I use it alone, other times, I'll melt a little Smart Balance spread and pour it over the popcorn. Mmmmm!

HUGE pop-corn / old bay addict! Even my little girls like it. They call it Daddy's spicy popcorn. No butter or anything else, just popcorn and old bay. Practice Baytriotism.

-Stay Happy
  • valeriejbardini
    Options
    I love sitting with my daughter and watching a movie with a big bowl of Popcorn to share, I think its much better than crisps (potato chips to our American Lovelies) :-)
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i love air popped-great snack-in a pinch i also love Skinny Pop-for a prebagged popcorn (in chip aisle) it is pretty overall not that bad for you, and it tastes DELICIOUS!