Personal Trainer question

Options
So, I am considering getting a personal trainer and was wondering what all I could expect from him. I need that extra push to keep me going. Can anyone who has seen a persnoal trainer describe what kind of things you would do on a daily basis? What did it cost you and how many days a week did you attend?

Replies

• caroliiine86
    Options
    I see my coach every two weeks, it changes my program tells me the machine, the settings he encourages me a lot I find it very motivating. it's cost me 45 $/ session
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have a 60 minute training session every other week. Its primary focus is strength training (though we add in things like stairs, jacks, treadmill or gym sprints, etc). He takes me through a new circuit training program, which I then repeat on strength training days until our next session. We do things like chest press, barbell squats, lunges, core work, cable-cross exercises, deadlifts, that kind of thing. I find it helpful for these reasons: (1) form coaching. I am much more confident with heavier weights knowing I have the correct form. (2) learning new exercises. He always has variations and pulls out new things every week. I don't get bored. (3) motivation. it's nice to have friends in the gym and helpful to have a check-in every other week. I'll purposely schedule a session after a vacation or when I'm lacking motivation to get it done. Prices vary widely depending on the gym.
  • gatork7
    gatork7 Posts: 22
    Options
    I see my personal trainer twice a week and about to bump up to three times a week. Every session is something different, he pushes me to my limits while encouraging me. I love having a trainer, he makes me try things I would never think I could do! I wouldn't trade him for the world!!

As long as you get a good trainer it will be something you will never regret!!
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    All trainers are different.

Don't just go into a big gym and say "Hey I want a trainer."
    They will throw any one of them at you.

Always have an initial consultation with the potential trainer.
    Get to know them a bit and find out if they would work well for you.

My Experience

I had my trainer for about 9 months over the course of 2 years.
    He has been more than wonderful.
    When I thought "trainer" I figured, oh no drill sgt. I dont think I can handle it."
    I hadn't exercised in years and my diet... well there was no diet. After a car
    accident that injured my knee I really really didn't think that it was going to happen.

Anyways he was my co-worker's husband and she referred me to him, I was iffy but I
    still went and had my consultation.

I told him about my lifestyle, why I wanted to drop the weight and in turn asked him things like
    "why did you become a personal trainer". He was very fourthcoming with info & was very nice,
    not big itimidating buff guy haha.

Training Sessions
    1 hr per session. Twice a week. $240 monthly.
    Once we started training he did well with making exercises that worked around my knee injury.
    The workouts were tough, but I was fully capable of completing them.
    He never once yelled at me or made me run.
    Instead he motivated me telling me things like "keep it up youre doing great! Dang look at you go!" .
    My first couple weeks of working out SUCKED MAJORLY, but got easier over time.
    He also gave me a meal plan to follow as well as "at home workouts" aka homework to do on my own.

I lost about 40 lbs (which may not seem like a lot to most) but it was enough for my body.

I went in weighing 220 lbs and left weighing 180 lbs. but looking fabulous and being super healthy!

I DEFINITELY reccommend getting a trainer, bc there is so much more than just losing weight.
    He taught me so much! I gained so much knowledge from him and I am truely greatful!

This pic is 220 lbs to 195 lbs 2630369_2883.jpg

This was my final 180 lbs 2630369_3683.jpg

BTW Im only 5'3".
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is it out of the norm to try to go 4-5 times a week?
  • siriusalien
    siriusalien Posts: 207
    Options
    I've had several trainer in several differant gyms. They each had a differant focus. My current trainer I meet with for 1 hour session twice a week.
    He mixes things up cardi/weights, keeps an eye on my heart rate, introduces me to new machines and exercises, pushes my limits.
    Cost? deepends on gym- think I recently paid $550 for 6 months of the above routine.
    I would NOT rely on a trainer for nutritional advice-you are dealing with someone who is in a gym ALL day, EVERY day
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    Is it out of the norm to try to go 4-5 times a week?

Everyone is different.
    Going 4-5x a week could get kind of expensive.

1-3 days should be efficient.

Also depends on how long the sessions are...

Some trainers do 30 min sessions others do 1 hr and 2 hrs.
  • Kitzey
    Kitzey Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer I train with 3 times a week and I go to the gym and do cardio 3 days a week on top of that. We do mainly strength training. It's nice as she keeps the workouts fresh and is able to push me when I need to be, but the biggest PLUS is she MOTIVATES me. We talk about diet and goals frequently... making small goals while we reach for the big goal! The cost through the gym I attend is about $45 an hour. She also helps me with nutrition and listens when I need to babble about the ups and downs of the journey. She has proven to be invaluable to me!!

So far the two of us have kept me on track and I should reach goal on time, barring any hiccups!