Options
2»

Replies

• redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Great rant, I totally agree!
    We all have the right to rant :wink:
    We have to remember that we are all unique, just like everybody else !!
    What works for one doesn't always work for someone else and what I like about MFP is that there are always options ... I love that I can peruse the forums for ideas and suggestions and fine tune things to suit me and what works for me.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Woot! You tell 'em! :)
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got.

Exactly !
    Without challenge, there is no change :smile:
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree totally too. There is no one right answer. Once I find the right balance of calories to exercise calories burned mix- it works for while then after some time I realize it is no longer working and I have to try something else. It is a moving target.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Nice rant Tony. It was perfect.

Huh..my son lives in Morgantown..he's on here too. Small world. :ohwell:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You've got to do what's best for you. I think people rely on people for answers, instead of just using common sense. And don't be afraid to try something for 2 weeks. If it doesn't work, it's 2 weeks. I know it took me 5 years to gain 30 pounds, so what's 2 weeks of trying something to get a few off...

I don't believe you should eat below 1200 - there's no need. Your body needs fuel to live and if you workout intensely you need something to give you energy. I don't believe in eating just to eat, but for those of you who think you can only eat 600-1000 calories and burn a ton everyday you don't need to struggle to lose weight. I lost 13 pounds eating 1500cal/day...
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. In fact, if I come close to zero, I will take a 10 minute walk just to end up in the positive. I feel energetic, not starving, and am eating whatever I want, just in moderation. I must be doing something right because my blood levels are good, my BMI is dropping, and I've lost 36 lbs. When I get closer to my goal, who knows, I may have to change things, but it works for me.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    The self-righteousness on these forums is strong. These are the folks who would believe what corporate funded studies are showing. Studies that are easily manipulated (remember, statistics is an art of lying via maths). Studies that are usually done with small study groups and are usually not backed up by other similar studies.

I eat till I feel satisfied. Yes, I know that ED patients use the same logic however since I'm not cutting down my calories ot a drastic measure, I think I'm safe. I eat what MFP tells me, I try to go a bit above or below. I aim to eat half of my workout calories and I average all these out over the week rather than daily. This allows me to have guilt free spike days.

I eat fruits (oh noes, CARBS!) I eat bread. I eat red meat. I don't heavy lift. I workout sometimes and sometimes I don't. I try to eat multiple small portions a day (though not doign a great job of that lately).

These things works well for ME! The self-proclaimed scientists on these forums can probably point out like 800 mistakes in what I'm doing and thats fine. Maybe that "correct" way works for them but what I'm doing right now has made me lose almost 20 lbs which is a big deal to me.

I tried the eat more to lose weight. I have seen it work for others and bravo to them. I tried it, didn't worked. I am back to eating what MFP suggests rather than eating my TDEE - 20%. I am happy with my results
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I'm next on the soap box..
  • freckledspitfire
    Options
    I would agree that the calorie intake is different for each individual. I have seen two nutritionists as I have not only thyroid problems but Chrohns. This just helps me eat 1200 calories because I wasn't getting enough in and therefore wasn't loosing weight.

I think it is a great tool for someone like me who is just starting off again. They don't count the calories when you get sick right after eating so I still have to adjust for that.

The program isn't all inclusive but I love it as a starting point for me. Plus, it's free!

Hope your weight loss is successful!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Should I eat more? Should I eat less? I think this "eat more to weigh less" is stupid! I think you should "eat more to weight less! Blah. Blah. Blah

Sorry, just sounded like you were mocking the posts that ask these questions. What with the "blah blah blah" and all. I read your rant right after seeing threads titles with these questions, so it appeared as you were ranting about people asking them.

I totally agree that if you ask for advice you shouldn't then argue with the person giving it. I also agree that what works for one won't work for all. But, I think there's nothing wrong with people who are curious bout asking these questions.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Should I eat more? Should I eat less? I think this "eat more to weigh less" is stupid! I think you should "eat more to weight less! Blah. Blah. Blah

Sorry, just sounded like you were mocking the posts that ask these questions. What with the "blah blah blah" and all. I read your rant right after seeing threads titles with these questions, so it appeared as you were ranting about people asking them.

I totally agree that if you ask for advice you shouldn't then argue with the person giving it. I also agree that what works for one won't work for all. But, I think there's nothing wrong with people who are curious bout asking these questions.

Again, taking a small piece of what I said. I was saying that a majority of the time these people are replying to the first two questions. As indicating with the "I think" statements. No mockery intended, just saying I hate all of the people who get on here and say that eat more to weigh less is stupid, and I also hate the ones who think the ones that say that are stupid, because they do not share the same body, metabolism, or lifestyle, and therefor have no clue what it's like for them.

Curiosity might have killed the cat, but I think we'll be alright! II believe you are correct in saying that people should be asking these questions, in the same regards, a little research and experimenting goes a long way.