When To Increase Weights?

Options
I have pretty poor upper body strength. This week I am concentrating on my arms at the gym. Here is what I do. I do this machine where you lift up above your head and another machine where you lift away from your body. Not sure what they are called. Anyway, I can do 35 pounds but I can only do about 20 on each machine. At around 15 its gets difficult. But the thing is I am NOT sore the next day. Should I increase the pounds by 5. Isn't it if you're sore the next day you are building up your muscles? I want to eventually be able to do more than 35 pounds, I am just not sure when it's appropriate to change the poundage.

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I always was under the assumption that you don't have to feel sore the next day and the reps that count the most are the ones at the end that you stuggle to do! You could always do something along the lines of 'drop sets' start with the highest weight you can lift...do as many reps of those that you can, be it 8 or even 5....then from there go down a few pounds in weight, do as many reps as you can with those (should be more then your previous reps)...then do it again with a little lower weight than the last! Does that make sense even :) I do this to 'confuse' my muscles and also get the smaller muscles working because I've tired the big guys! :)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would personaly up the weight and drop the reps. Even doing 12-15 reps of something seems like a lot to me, I get bored :) I like the above posters method, I'll have to try that sometime, looks like fun.

Edit to add: You may also look into using free weights rather than the machines to activiate more muscles with your movements. From everything I've researched and read the machines are often more harm than good. I just started my mom and in-law on the New Rules of Lifting plan and so far so good. I know there are a lot of great plans out there though, I'm sure others could add,,
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Increase weights every single workout until you can't increase them anymore. Then, decrease by 20% and start increasing again.

Soreness is an indicator of soreness. IT does not indicate gain of tissue, growth, fitness, or anything but soreness.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I generally increase my weight weekly, but I'm sure it's different for women. I also heat the New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good program to follow.