Quitting smoking?

Options
I am very close to quitting I have a date set (Monday) how much will it increase my ability to run? How long until I notice a change? Will it slow down my metabolism because I know it is a stimulant.

I'd have to say its the worst habit I've ever picked up and regret. Im ready to quit cold turkey

And finally to any ex smokers out there what kept you motivated to stay quit when everyone around you smokes?

Edit : What helped you calm urges during the withdrawal phase?

Replies

• KenRNhol22
    KenRNhol22 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    good for you on quitting!! I quit for about a month but sadly i started again as I started a new job and am getting married so I felt smoking would help with the stress. (HOPEFULLY can quit again after my wedding!)
    but.. what helped me was LOTS of gum! I found my running increased quite a bit when i wasn't smoking and I did not see any changes negatively with weight when I wasn't smoking.
    as for being around people who smoke just don't put yourself around them.. assuming the go outside, just dont go with. It seemed to work for me and this will be my plan again once I'm done stressing :)
    Hope this helps. I suppose it doens't sound so great coming from someone who still smokes. Good Luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for almost 20 years and have been smoke free for about the same. What motivated me was watching my mother dying of lung cancer, it wasn't pretty and I wouldn't wish this experience on any other family. After a while you'll probably find the smell of cigarettes absolutely revolting and you'll be able to smell a smoker from 20 paces.

It will take a while for your lungs to recover (depends largely on how long & how much you smoke) but you'll find your running will improve. You'll also find that food tastes way better and don't be surprised if you pack on a few pounds, even then the health risk associated with a minor weight gain is insignificant compared to the the harm smoking causes.

Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It will increase your ability to run exponentially and you will begin to notice the effects within 2 weeks. You still have to put in the training though. :) As far as metabolism, I lost weight after I quit but I was already dieting and starting to run at the time. Whatever lowering of the metabolism effect occurs is greatly offset by the newfound ability to exersise without feeling like you're going to die.

I quit smoking using an electronic cigarette that I still use, www.volcanoecigs.com. With that it was easy to quit and stay quit. I stay motivated with my running and remembering how hard it was to do when smoking. I have set running goals that would be impossible to meet with tobacco.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I quit January 26, 2012 after developing blood clots in my heart and legs. 2 days in ICU did it for me.I kept a half pack up in the cupboard for 2 months as a security blanket and then threw them out. I can now breathe without gasping, walk 30 minutes without stopping, and I smell a whole lot better.I did this and have lost 13 pounds so gaining weight is not an excuse.I also can smell everything better. Some things I thought smelled good now stink. Do it for yourself and your health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eiha
    eiha Posts: 27
    Options
    I quit 7 months ago. It's hard I wont lie but it gets easier. Literally take every day as a new day. What kept me motivated during the cravings was to imagine how bad I would feel if I started back smoking again. I love running and since I quit my lung capacity and stamina have increased dramatically. The distances I couldn't run before are no probem to me now. Before I quit while running I had to stop even though my legs were strong it was my lungs that failed me every time. Trust me it's worth it. I find not planning a day is better, if you plan a day to quit it makes it really hard when you wake that morning. What I did was just finish my pack then stopped. Good Luck
  • willkirton
    willkirton Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. It's really confirmed it for me that the time has come to get rid of this habit. I think I will just quit when this pack runs out.