Should you lift weights if you're still sore?

Options
Ok. So I started lifting heavy weights on Monday. Whew that was a workout. I am still sore and it's my weight day again. Should I wait until I'm not sore anymore or is okay to work the muscles again while still sore. They never covered this in nursing school :laugh:

Replies

• acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I was always told/taught that you alternate days w/lifting. M/W/F would be arms/back and T/R/S would be legs. I was also told that if you are sore, stretch well before, lift less reps or weight and stretch well after.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My coach encourages us to come in even if we are sore. I'd never go otherwise! Rolling, warming up, stretching, and a good workout usually much improves things. He encourages us to stay home and rest if we just feel really drug out and tired overall. And if we have a particular injury or strain we just work around it. Hope that helps.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    no reason to do splits unless you're intermediate-advanced. A beginner can handle the volume. They are stronger than they think they are. (Literally. Your brain doesn't know.)

Every other day, 3 times a week. Don't stop for soreness.
    DO stop/reduce for injury.

PS: PUGS!
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    no reason to do splits unless you're intermediate-advanced. A beginner can handle the volume. They are stronger than they think they are. (Literally. Your brain doesn't know.)

PS: PUGS!

Ok so I love your pug. That's a cute one! Also, thanks! That's what I'm trying to do is MWF on weights with rowing machine as my cardio and Tue/Thur/Sat on running (just started the C25K since I'm over my injury and allowed to start running again). :)
  • stacygayle
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone. I wasn't sure if I should but yes, I probably would keep putting it off if I didn't go even while sore ;) Maybe I'll sit in the hot tub after just to relax
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

I'd agree totally with that for full body sets. If it's been 48 hrs. since you last worked out you should be fine even if you're sore and you will be sore especially if you're just starting this routine. It gets better but I generally fell a little bit some somewhere during any given part of the week. Today it's the chest since I did heavier lower reps on Monday. Tomorrow I'm sure my arms will be sore some from last night.

Working out is actually one of the best ways to relieve soreness if you're just moderately sore. I do legs on Friday night or Saturday morning and they're often still a bit sore on Monday morning when I start cardio again. They feel better after I get them warmed up and I usually don't even notice them being sore when I run.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I hear you can and you're kind of supposed to, but whenever I try to lift heavy when I'm sore it's a little painful. I generally do a lower weight at higher reps.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely still lift! Just make sure you take an anti-inflammatory and ice good when you finish!
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options

Agree. I do splits / lift 4 days a week. In the beginning, I was just doing a total body routine for the most part every other day / 3 times a week. Don't stop for soreness. If you feel like you have an injury, then by all means stop. But if you're just sore from a good lift, keep it going every other day.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I also just started lifting on Monday and was thinking the same thing! My arms are ok, but my legs are more sore today than yesterday I think! I guess we will have to suck it up and lift again today:) Feel free to add me as a friend for motivation, maybe we can keep each other on track!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone. I wasn't sure if I should but yes, I probably would keep putting it off if I didn't go even while sore ;) Maybe I'll sit in the hot tub after just to relax

yes def workout while sore - its the only thing that makes it better lol

something else i heard just recently is, DON'T SIT IN THE HOT TUB straight after lifting (or really hot shower) it makes the effects worse. i have a swim straight after then a coolish shower - makes a difference :)
  • stacygayle
    Options
    I also just started lifting on Monday and was thinking the same thing! My arms are ok, but my legs are more sore today than yesterday I think! I guess we will have to suck it up and lift again today:) Feel free to add me as a friend for motivation, maybe we can keep each other on track!

I'll add you! My arms and chest are what's sore. My legs aren't too bad since I played racquetball yesterday and loosened them up. I do feel less sore after working out I notices so I guess getting those muscles warmed up does help.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I've lifted on moderately sore days and super sore days. Both times, working out during the soreness has helped it to subside. I'd say do it, but it depends on your pain tolerance level....or level of masochism in my case. :tongue:
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I always have varying degrees of soreness in muscles, but working out again actually helps the soreness go away faster. If I wait more than a day or two in between it actually feels worse or more stiff and sore longer.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options

yes def workout while sore - its the only thing that makes it better lol

something else i heard just recently is, DON'T SIT IN THE HOT TUB straight after lifting (or really hot shower) it makes the effects worse. i have a swim straight after then a coolish shower - makes a difference :)

I was just about to say this! You beat me to it. Hot water will just increase the inflammmation, cool or cold is the way to go. And HYDRATE!