Fitbit

Options
Is anyone out there using a Fitbit. I'm considering getting one as I'm not all that confident in a normal pedometer. I considered HRM but don't know if that is enough. I just want an accurate way to track heart rate and calorie burn. Any help would be great. Thanks

Replies

• sgall123
    sgall123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit but it doesn't track heart rate.. however its very good at what it does and certainly makes you move more!!
  • PurpleGyrl13
    PurpleGyrl13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit. I love it. I love the fact that it tracks your sleep patterns as well. Tells you how long it takes you to tall asleep; how long you slept; how many times you were awaken during the night. Plus it tracks your steps taken as well.

I just realized that all I was focusing on here was "non activity' function! LOL!!!
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How do you wear the Fitbit? I've been holding off buying one depending on how it is attached.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I wear mine on the top of my bra
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    7805 steps taken today
    78% of goal of 10,000
    4 floors climbed today
    40% of goal of 10
    You have climbed: The World's Tallest Sand Castle
    3.33 miles traveled today
    67% of goal of 5.00
    1411 calories burned
    65% of goal of 2,184 edit goal
    436 active score
    44% of goal of 1,000

I quickly copy/pasted some info that the fitbit gives. I love it! :bigsmile:
  • nilesbollinger
    nilesbollinger Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I use the belt clip and wear it on my belt.
  • sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    How do you wear the Fitbit? I've been holding off buying one depending on how it is attached.

I wear mine in the holder on the waist of my pants. Never had a real problem with it falling off. Only if I bang it on something. :)
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I love my fitbit! It doesn't do heart rate - but it's still pretty awesome!

oh, and as for wearing it - if I can I'll clip it to my bra (it's a little tricky with front hook bras!) on the holster. Or wear it at my waist with the holster thing.

But if I'm wearing a dress that is a little tight (but not skin tight) I'll take it off the holster and VERY CAREFULLY clip it to my undies. I say very carefully because I'm terrified that I'll break the damn thing in half lol!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit & find it motivating to get moving. That said it is not an HRM (wish it were) so not as accurate as one on some workouts like 30DS.
  • letswalk
    letswalk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 HRM. I LOVE it! :) Plus it's much cheaper than a fitbit and I feel it's very accurate. I don't need to know how much I sleep or how many steps a day I've taken. I'm a nurse. I take well over 10000 steps on days that I work!
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    LOVE mine!! I wear it on my jeans or workout pants pocket.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit also! Great device and it does motivate but it will not give you a heart rate. If it did somehow, it would be the ultimate workout tool. I wear mine on my belt in the holder supplied. Haven't had a problem yet.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 HRM. I LOVE it! :) Plus it's much cheaper than a fitbit and I feel it's very accurate. I don't need to know how much I sleep or how many steps a day I've taken. I'm a nurse. I take well over 10000 steps on days that I work!

I would sincerely love to find out where you got your Polar FT4 HRM, then - because I found them to be about the same price!

I have a FitBit and have absolutely loved it!

HOWEVER!!!!!! It doesn't do well in a washing machine. Hubby decided to help out on laundry and didn't unclip it from my sports bra (I wear it clipped to the front of my bra or sports bra unless I'm sleeping - then it goes in the wrist band for this purpose). It died. The good news is that if you lose it (or your hubby washes it) they will usually give you a COMPLIMENTARY REPLACEMENT!!! As in...FREEE!!!!! No questions asked!

How awesome is that?!?! Their customer service rocks.

OK - how well does it work?

You can sync it up with your MFP profile, it "talks" back and forth about your calories in vs. calories burned, it tracks your steps and calories burned at 5 minute intervals. You can set the stop-watch feature and track how many calories you burn for a certain time period (such as a workout) or for sleeping (how many times you wake up). It sets daily & weekly goals for you to follow, which you can modify to make easier or harder depending on your level of fitness. It tracks your progress just like MFP - with the added bonus of your Blood Pressure, Resting Heart Rate, Glucose level, and more measurements.

Yes, I love it.
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a fitbit although i am not 100% sure of how to use it, except to track steps. I also own a body bugg. The reason I bought a fitbit was a friend of mine was here and we went every where together and her fitbit said she had about 3000 steps more than I did with my bodybugg. So I got to wondering about it and bought one so I could compare the fitbit with the bodybugg. Do I really like the fitbit? I might if I could get it to turn off the sleep when I tell it to and not to start it back without me saying so. Like I said I am not good at it yet. The one thing I have found is the fit bit says I get many more steps than my bodybugg if I have it attached to my bra or the top of my shirt, if I have it attached to my pocket on my pants it is closer with the body bugg, but still gives me a few hundred more steps, but not 1000s more.

If I could afford a bodybugg vs. a fitbit I would go with it. I think it is much more accurate, but it does not give all the information that the fitbit does, but for steps and how many calories you have burned it seems to be more accurate. I know it uses a more scientific way of calculating the information than the fitbit does. OK I don't guess I can say I KNOW it does, but I should say I FEEL it does.

The bodybugg is on special right now for $99.00 I think.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I use it for everything..But i think you know that already from my logging. It really does motivate me to move more.That is part of how I managed to lose my weight It keeps me accountable for exactly what I have and have not done.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have had a fitbit for about 3 weeks now. 90% of the time I clip it to the front of my sports bra. I basically have it there or in the wristband 24/7. I take it off like once a week to charge it over night.

As a SAHM I put my activity level at sedentary, but until recently I pretty much hit 12,000 steps a day. It is interesting to see that some days I really AM sedentary, but other days I am pretty active just doing my normal daily activities!

When I think that I have been super active, it is cool to look at your MFP account and see that you have gotten a "fitbit adjustment" under your exercise tab!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic.
    I have lost so many pedometers when worn at the waist & really want a fitbit but reluctant to lose something so expensive!! Are they secure??
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Wow...loving all the replies. Thanks for all the help. All input will help me decide whether to take the plunge. Thanks to all of you!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I am not sure I would use the Fitbit all that much. Love my Polar FT4 HRM though. It was cheaper than the Fitbit when I bought it so that is why I chose it.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Are they secure??
    I run with mine and I've never even come close to losing it.