There is honestly something wrong with me

Options
2»

Replies

• Baybbee123
    Baybbee123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with you. It takes time to figure out what is going on. When I started in March 2012 I didn't even lose a single pound (may have gained too but don't know because I never had a consistent scale until recently) until May 2012. And every day and every minute sucked.

I agree with pdj1220. It takes a fairly decent amount of time to figure out what is working. I still don't fully know what is working other than I upped my calories. But now that seems to be backfiring so I am in the same boat.

I started a journal outside of MFP today & made notes to see what I am doing and what I'm trying. Like for instance, I put "higher sodium on ___ (whichever date I'm tracking)" to see if that impacts my weight gain. Also, I decided to try much lower carb & made a note that I am trying to do that to see if it impacts my weight loss. I am hoping it will help.

Give it time. Believe me, anyone who is dedicated to the process knows all the frustrations you are going through. My scale has been up 4 lbs since Sunday and this morning I literally wanted to cry. My birthday is tomorrow....and feels ruined by the thought of this. Not that I was expecting to lose, but to be up 4 lbs is just so frustrating and exhausting - and the opposite of what I had hoped for.

Be patient....trial and error. I think that's the best advice anyone could offer. It's such a long frustrating process to figure it all out. Maybe even try talking to a trainer to see what they recommend?

YOU CAN DO THIS! Don't give up on yourself!
  • Lithriel
    Lithriel Posts: 9
    Options
    Are you on hormonal birth control? Did you weigh yourself during your time of the month?

I quit hormonal birth control and dropped 10 pounds without even trying. It's also the reason why I gained 20 pounds within a year of marriage. I'm not going back.

Also, I weighed 170 last week because I was on my period. Today I weighed 162. Water weight can add pounds to the scale that "special" week and drop the next.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What is your goal weight?

and I agree with everyone else, you need to track everything. What you eat, and exercise. I just joined MFP but I've been working on getting to a healthy weight for a while...every time I got stuck it was because I stopped tracking.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'm practically fed up. I've been stuck around the same weight since March 2012, and now ever since May 2012 I've been GAINING WEIGHT. What the hell is going on? I'm seriously about to cry right now. I know I'm freaking out and I need to calm down but seriously this is just ridiculous. I literally can not lose weight. It's a miracle that I went down from 152lbs to 145lbs, which is why you see on my ticker it starts at 145lbs because thats when I started MFP. But honestly, I just weighed myself, and I'm back to 144lbs.

Just really name every weight loss trick in the book. I guaranteed I've done about 99.9% of them and it HAS NOT WORKED. Please help. Just name every trick or tell me what could be wrong because I don't get it =\

(Here's what I'm currently doing: I play tennis about 3-5 times a week. I've been strength training five times a week with 10 pound weights since I'm a beginner and do my weight training at home. I mix up my cardio ALL THE TIME. I mix up my strength training moves ALL THE TIME. I've tried low carb high protein diet. I've tried eating a 1200 calorie limit, a 1400 calorie limit, and even just did the whole "listen to when youre body is hungry.") I'm stuck.
    Lemme see if I get this straight....

You've been working at this since March of this year? A little more than 3 whole months? And you've tried "every weight loss trick in the book" during that time? It sounds like you want instant results and when you don't get them quickly enough for your tastes, then you change things up only to have the same unrealistic expectations not being met.

The only secret to long-term weight loss is THERE IS NO SECRET. It takes time and consistent effort.

^^ I agree with you. You are not going to see a drastic change in weight loss especially weighing 145, its going to take time and effort ( I see you have with working out)
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Have you seen a dietitian or consulted your doctor to rule out possible underlying causes, such as thyroid or hormone imbalances? Good luck, you can do it!
  • ginamaria724
    ginamaria724 Posts: 133
    Options
    Hmm, wonder if this could be your problem. Seems like making a single change and giving it time to work or fail might be better. With lots of changes at once you have no idea what is helping or hurting.
    For the past month, I was doing a high protein low carb, 1400 calorie diet. And I tracked it (I just stopped tracking this week). I was gaining weight. My mom's friend who is a physical trainer told me I was eating way too little and the fact that I was gaining weight is because I wasn't giving my body enough fuel (food), therefore it was using my muscle for food, causing me to gain weight/plateau. Then from March 2012 to May 2012 I was eating about 1200 calories, so then I upped it a little in May. Did nothing.
    This. Stop weighing yourself.
    Get a tape measure. Use that to track your fitness, not the scale.
    I have been using a tape measurement also. Apparently I've increased one inch in my waist and hips.
    Just throwing this out there...are you pregnant?
    Nope it'd be physically impossible for me to be pregnant due to the fact that I'm still waiting for that *~special guy~*. I'm also not on any birth control.
    Lemme see if I get this straight....
    You've been working at this since March of this year? A little more than 3 whole months? And you've tried "every weight loss trick in the book" during that time? It sounds like you want instant results and when you don't get them quickly enough for your tastes, then you change things up only to have the same unrealistic expectations not being met.
    The only secret to long-term weight loss is THERE IS NO SECRET. It takes time and consistent effort.
    Nope I've been working out and trying to lose weight since January of 2012. Trust me, I know this takes time and effort.
  • BleuTree
    BleuTree Posts: 15
    Options
    DON'T STOP. keep pushing. start tracking again and if all else fails go see your dr. there could be a problem with your thyroid which would prevent weight loss
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    DON'T STOP. keep pushing. start tracking again and if all else fails go see your dr. there could be a problem with your thyroid which would prevent weight loss

this.

log everything you put in your mouth for a month. if the scale doesn't move, and you're w/in calories and macros, print out the chart and take it to the dr.
  • arrow460
    arrow460 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It seems crazy, but when my weight loss stops I can cut back on my cardio and it will resume in a day or two. Sometimes I think you have to show your body that your not really trying to break it!!!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine how incredibly frustrated you are. I would be. But, I think everyone needs more info before suggesting help. Obviously you're at least reasonably to very active. Hard to say because what one person thinks is "working out hard" isn't so much to another.

Barring any possible medical issues, here are my suggestions ... go back to square one with a few modifications perhaps...

GET A GOOD HEART RATE MONITOR. One with a chest strap. I have the Polar FT7 and I like it. Seems like a lot of other people have it and like it, too. They make a model a step down from it that's a little cheaper, not quite all the bells and whistles, but still what you need. WHY get a HRM? Because you may not be burning as many calories as you think you are... again perception of effort is different for everyone. Also, I can do the same workout twice, feel like I've really put effort into both times, but get enough differences in calorie burn to make me go "ahhh". Of course even HRMs are not perfect, but they are more perfect than not knowing or guessing or using MFP "generic" logs. :)

START LOGGING EVERYTHING YOU EAT again. Be completely honest... the good, the bad, the ugly. Second problem after many people overcalculating calories burned is underestimating calories consumed. Also, having it in front of your face and everyone else's face every day may help you make better choices. It does help me.

SET YOUR ACTIVITY LEVEL IN MFP TO SEDENTARY - UNLESS you have a very physical job. Then you will absolutely be able to see in your diaries your total intake and burn.

EAT SENSIBLY. Some personal opinion here, but still it's a fact that our bodies are not made to live "only" on one macro-nutrient or another. We're omnivores, so I feel it's perfectly fine to eat carbs and fats and protein. The types and the balance is what you need to strive for. THE GOALS MFP SETS FOR YOU AUTOMATICALLY is a good place to start. You may need to adjust it for your personal needs. For example, some people want to eat fewer fats overall if they have family history of heart disease - or carefully watch their sugar or sodium for health reasons.

OPEN YOUR DIARY to at least your friends. It's hard for people to make suggestions in the dark.

KEEP UP THE EXERCISE ROUTINE. What you outline seems pretty fantastic to me. For your strength training, you may not be lifting enough. I know you say you are new, but you should be able to move past 10lbs pretty quickly. It's good for you! It's good for your bones and your muscles... you will be healthier and live longer and stand up straighter! :)

DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK and DON'T RELY ONLY ON THE SCALES. It will drive you insane. Your body has normal fluctuations. It's the long term trend you're looking for. Remember, scales measure weight. They don't measure fitness.

TAKE MEASUREMENTS ON A REGULAR BASIS. Maybe every 30 days. Maybe every 2 weeks. Up to you. This may show you more progress than the scale.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!! I hope you can break through this barrier. I am so impressed that you are sticking with it and seeking help!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I think you should go to your doctor to check for hormonal issues. One that can cause unexplained weight gain and make losing extremely difficult is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I gained 50lbs in less than a year, keep in mind I was working out and dieting the entire time I was gaining. I have finally lost 6lbs, but still getting my body back is a long road. Not trying to scare you, but often people will say just change your diet or eat more, workout more, sometimes its not that simple. So check with your doctor, better yet your GYN (since it could be hormonal) and ask about PCOS
  • ginamaria724
    Options

I have always thought about this... I looked up the symptoms though and I don't really have any of them... My body is just being stubborn :l
    log everything you put in your mouth for a month. if the scale doesn't move, and you're w/in calories and macros, print out the chart and take it to the dr.

Usually I would but, like I said earlier, everyone has been telling me so many different things to do. 1200 calorie, 1400 calorie, 2000+ calorie, high protein low carb, high carb, etc etc. I just don't know which one to follow.

***No matter how much I'm eating though, I am making sure it is as healthy and non processed as can be. Just incase anyone was thinking I'm shoving McDonalds and donuts into my mouth because I don't know how to eat, IM NOT.****
    I can only imagine how incredibly frustrated you are. I would be. But, I think everyone needs more info before suggesting help. Obviously you're at least reasonably to very active. Hard to say because what one person thinks is "working out hard" isn't so much to another.

Barring any possible medical issues, here are my suggestions ... go back to square one with a few modifications perhaps...

GET A GOOD HEART RATE MONITOR. One with a chest strap. I have the Polar FT7 and I like it. Seems like a lot of other people have it and like it, too. They make a model a step down from it that's a little cheaper, not quite all the bells and whistles, but still what you need. WHY get a HRM? Because you may not be burning as many calories as you think you are... again perception of effort is different for everyone. Also, I can do the same workout twice, feel like I've really put effort into both times, but get enough differences in calorie burn to make me go "ahhh". Of course even HRMs are not perfect, but they are more perfect than not knowing or guessing or using MFP "generic" logs. :)

START LOGGING EVERYTHING YOU EAT again. Be completely honest... the good, the bad, the ugly. Second problem after many people overcalculating calories burned is underestimating calories consumed. Also, having it in front of your face and everyone else's face every day may help you make better choices. It does help me.

SET YOUR ACTIVITY LEVEL IN MFP TO SEDENTARY - UNLESS you have a very physical job. Then you will absolutely be able to see in your diaries your total intake and burn.

EAT SENSIBLY. Some personal opinion here, but still it's a fact that our bodies are not made to live "only" on one macro-nutrient or another. We're omnivores, so I feel it's perfectly fine to eat carbs and fats and protein. The types and the balance is what you need to strive for. THE GOALS MFP SETS FOR YOU AUTOMATICALLY is a good place to start. You may need to adjust it for your personal needs. For example, some people want to eat fewer fats overall if they have family history of heart disease - or carefully watch their sugar or sodium for health reasons.

OPEN YOUR DIARY to at least your friends. It's hard for people to make suggestions in the dark.

KEEP UP THE EXERCISE ROUTINE. What you outline seems pretty fantastic to me. For your strength training, you may not be lifting enough. I know you say you are new, but you should be able to move past 10lbs pretty quickly. It's good for you! It's good for your bones and your muscles... you will be healthier and live longer and stand up straighter! :)

DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK and DON'T RELY ONLY ON THE SCALES. It will drive you insane. Your body has normal fluctuations. It's the long term trend you're looking for. Remember, scales measure weight. They don't measure fitness.

TAKE MEASUREMENTS ON A REGULAR BASIS. Maybe every 30 days. Maybe every 2 weeks. Up to you. This may show you more progress than the scale.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!! I hope you can break through this barrier. I am so impressed that you are sticking with it and seeking help!

THANK YOU SO MUCH. This is exactly what I needed. I really really appreciate taking your time out of the day to write all of this down, because I'm really grateful for it. It all makes sense and it all seems reasonable for the point I'm at. Thank you so much again.
  • ginamaria724
    Options
    Don't know why this reposted 2 more times.
  • ginamaria724
    Options
    Don't know why this reposted 2 more times.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree with darlilama, that's some spot on advice.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Plateau's suck... I went through one right after I crossed the 200lb mark. For about 6 weeks I was stuck at 198. It was incredibly frustrating. Then I broke through, lost 1lb and then it started coming off steady after that.

Everyone here had given good advice. Keep pushing, track EVERYTHING, and figure out what works for YOU.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It is very strange to me that you have not had a period at 18 years old.. have you talked to your doctor about that? I wonder if that has anything to do with your weight loss problems.

I truly believe that you should stick to the 1650 calorie goal that you have in your diary right now. I'm 2 inches taller than you and eat 1800, so it seems reasonable. I don't think eating low calorie works for anyone in the long run.

But my best suggestion is to do some research, and decide what you think is best for you. Not best for your weight loss, but best for your health and fitness which will inevitably cause weight loss. Then once you decide, do this consistently for 1-2 months to see if it will work.

For example, I ate 1700 calories for 2-3 months and then realized I was still hungry often, so I switched to 1800. It's not easy to lose weight or be healthy or maintain weight or gain muscle. Nothing is easy. Just try your best and eventually it will work!! :)
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You are not going to gain fat by eating 1400 calories at your height and age. It's more likely that you were mis-accounting somewhere. Just to add to what @darlilama said:

-Get a food scale. Even if you log and use measuring cups, you are still likely eating more than you think you are. Don't forget to log every single thing. If you eat out, multiply the calories by 1.2 to account for possible error (better yet don't eat out).
    -If you "eat back exercise calories," realize that MFP overestimates the burn. So eat back only 75% of them. Better yet, get a heart rate monitor to estimate your daily burns.
    -It sounds like you work out an awful lot. Make sure you take at least rest day to let your muscles repair themselves. Weigh yourself once a week, in the morning, on the day after the rest day. Exercise (as well as high carb/sodium diets) causes your body to retain water, which can mask weight loss. Use measurements (waist/hip) in addition to scale to track your progress.
    -Make sure your goal weight is realistic. I am your same height and definitely not "big-boned." But when I weighed 130, I was on pretty thin w/ very little muscle. Everyone's ideal weight is different, but keep your body type in mind when thinking about what you want to weigh.
    -Be patient and don't give up. Give it a month and check your progress then. These things take time.
    -Try to relax. Being stressed will cause your body to hold onto weight and mess with your appetite.

As for how much you should be eating: you want to find out first how much you'd have to eat to maintain your current weight (TDEE). To do that, you first need an estimate of your BMR (what you burn laying in bed doing nothing all day). Using this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator, your BMR comes to about 1500. Based on the description of your work outs, I'd say you're moderately active (this is assuming that you don't have a job where you're on your feet all day). So you multiply your BMR by the activity factor of 1.55 to get your TDEE, which will be around 2300. This is the approximate amount you would eat to maintain.

Now, to determine how much to lose, you set up a reasonable weekly goal. Since you don't have much to lose and you are fairly active, I'd suggest aiming for 1/2 lb per week. Since 1 lb=3500 calories, you would subtract 250 from your TDEE to get your diet calories. You can just make this an even 2000. You could probably bump this down a bit more (e.g. to 1800 for 1 lb/ week), but remember to fuel your body for your exercise and that faster losses typically mean more muscle loss. Using this approach you should NOT eat back exercise calories. Some people find they need to adjust things a bit after the first few weeks and that is fine.