Confused about calories and exercise

Options
If I use up my calories for the day.. But I exercise and gain extra ones.. Does that mean I should use those up too? Because my food diary is saying I am eating too little when I complete it..

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    There appear to be many threads on both sides of the question.

The idea behind the program is that yes, you should at least eat some of them back. Problems can occur if there are inaccuracies in either the amount of food being logged, or if the entry for the exercise isn't accurate for the amount of calories you'e actually burning.

If you're not eating much anyway and you're already close to lean, eating at least half of them back doesn't seem unreasonable.
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I've been here since April 6, 2012 and I have never eaten my work out calories, mainly because I exercise late and it's time for bed. At any rate, some people say you should. I've lost 18+lbs and I seem to be doing fine, some say I could lose more if I ate them back. I guess I'm too scared to try. (Fear of not losing at all) Good luck
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    ^^^
    What he said.

Also, http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

(edit: what EvanKeel said)
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    There appear to be many threads on both sides of the question.

The idea behind the program is that yes, you should at least eat some of them back. Problems can occur if there are inaccuracies in either the amount of food being logged, or if the entry for the exercise isn't accurate for the amount of calories you'e actually burning.

If you're not eating much anyway and you're already close to lean, eating at least half of them back doesn't seem unreasonable.

This is exactly why I am afraid to eat the calories back....... Good answer!
  • bless360
    bless360 Posts: 1
    Options
    bump
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Yes..eat those calories...MFP is designed to work that way. If you don't you're running a double deficit and may not be eating enough. Over time that can make your metabolism slow down, making it even harder to lose.
  • sdavis0224
    sdavis0224 Posts: 23
    Options
    See I wonder the same thing, but I have to agree I work out so late i'm too scared to eat those calories I gained. I just work out and then usually go to bed
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    ^^^
    What he said.

Also, http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/

(edit: what EvanKeel said)

Love that!

Especially with the links to previous threads!