Amusement Park Apprehension

I decided to post this on the message boards because I'm really struggling with alot of apprehension towards going to an amusement park with my family and none of them understand why. I'm at the beginning of my weight loss journey, I still weight 275 pounds. My dad has been begging me for months to go with him to Six Flags over Georgia for Father's Day, so I finally agreed, but it is literally keeping me up at night thinking about it. I went a few years ago, when I weighed about 245, and had the most embarrassing moment of my life happen: I couldn't fit on a ride. There I was, in the middle of the summer vacation crowd, being told to step to the side and let someone else have my seat. I used to love roller coasters, it was how I bonded with my dad, but ever since that moment I haven't rode one. I felt so ashamed of my self and I hate that feeling. Now, I weight more than I did then and I'm going back, I don't know what to expect. I'll probably not fit on MORE rides than before. Ugh, has anyone dealt with this anxiety before?

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    I know that for a lot of the newer rides, they have seats there that you can test out (sitting near the front of the line). Not that you want to test it out in front of everyone but...

I am trying to think if there is a way that you could kind of discreetly learn about the seat and seatbelt size before you spend all that time waiting in line.

Okay, I checked their webpage and it said you can get the specific ride restrictions at Guest Relations. So maybe you could stop there and check it out and then know which ones to avoid (for now). In no time, I am sure you'll be back to riding everything you want!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Maybe call guest relations and ask them. It will help put your mind at ease.
  • Is there any way you could comfortably broach the subject with your dad? Sounds like you all have some good memories of going to amuseument parks and going on the roller coasters together. I imagine he wants to go there to enjoy the experience with you, not to make you feel uncomfortable. Maybe you can explain to him how nervous you are and how uncomfortable the idea of going is to you.
    At the moment.
    Maybe you can explain how you're attempting to lose weight and when you you do, you'd love to have a special father-daughter trip. It'll probably be an excellent incentive for you too!
  • Thanks everyone! I'm going to talk to Guest Relations tomorrow and ask about the seat size.

I have mentioned it to my dad before, but he says I'm being silly. He's been extremely supportive of me, no matter what my size, and he doesn't seem to notice that I need to lose weight at all.

It is extremely good motivation, though, because I miss riding roller coasters and I want to be excited about them again :) You guys are really great.
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    I feel your pain Peeden! I had that problem before I started, I weighed over 300 in case you didn't know. There is this ride at Alabama Adventure, a water slide(guess it's spash adventure now) anyway it works with your body weight to create momentum to shoot you up one side and down the other. According to one lifegaurd I always went the highest he had ever seen, most people thought it was cool but thanks to the stupid physics class I knew that it was cause I was so big. It wasn't exactly the same but I knew myself and sometimes I scared me, I always felt like I was too close to the weight limit of the rides and that was depressing. I couldn't stand or walk for a long time so I just couldn't enjoy it.

That being said, if I go back now, even though I still have a ways to go, I will feel much better about myself on the rides and be able to enjoy them more. Of course I probably won't cause they took away my favorite parts. Just keep at it, everything gets better with time, you'll see. And just think as a reward for reaching your goals you can go back and show those rides whose boss.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    My aunt is 275 and she goes on rides and squishes in and enjoys them and doesn't think much about it. Not sure if she hasn't fit and had to get off yet, but if you are brave, go for it.

I think most things in life are if you are under 250 (a lot of rides, trampolines, rollerblades, snowshoes, skiis, etc.) but you know there are a lot of big/tall people these days.

I do have a personal goal of zip lining but I won't do it until I have about 50 more pounds off. I am not sure about rides, I prob don't go on them because of my age, but we'll see!?
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    I call it "FGS" (fat girl syndrome)
    When my husband asks me to do something, and I stress about being able to do it, I say to him "I can't because of FGS"
    He gets it and moves on from the topic. (although, last week, I told him that I didn't want to sit on the tailgate of his pickup truck because of FGS and he laughed at me. Yeah, I guess a pickup truck can hold me)