Do you run with your dog?

Options
12346»

Replies

• joeysims
    joeysims Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a 2 yr old German Shepard and I run/walk/bike with her all without a leash! :)

I got her at 8wks and started walking her everyday for short walks we started with obediance on a leash. Make sure when you correct wrong behavior it is in a calm cool manner don't over correct. I started with a normal leash then went to a long one then none at all. She will run ahead of me but not cross streets without me and will heel when instructed.

Heel and sit I believe are two of the most important commands you can teach your dog.

The best book on dog training I have found on training is Dog Training : A Manual By Col. Conrad Most

The most important thing you can do with your puppy is begin teaching them the rules right away even if its hard when they are so young and cute! It will be easier for them in the long run.

Also study the breed you are getting not all dogs are designed to do the same things and your both going to be frustrated if you are trying to work against the dogs natural instinct! :)

Good luck excersing with a dog is a great and fulfulling bonding experience for both of you! :)
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I do. My dog is about 2 years old. He is a rescued pitt bull who is just a sweetheart. The only problem I have with him is that he tries to outrun me (which wouldn't be too hard right now) sometimes. AND he's not a good walker. He pulls too much.

If you aren't set on the dog, get a RESCUE! Adopt, don't shop! And a dog who is alittle older is better. Most vets will tell you not to run a dog who is very young.

ours is a pit/lab mix rescue dog (12 years old now), it kills my knees to run with her and she's getting up there in age so even her walks wear her out.
  • FretheMJsmokingcannibal
    Options
    Only if it's cool.
  • nikkicormier82
    nikkicormier82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i have 2 Siberian huskies:) I run with them all of the time. I usually stop and walk with them every so often. They really enjoy it, but when it's hot out i take them to a lake. We run around the lake and then go swim. I'm not sure how far we go, but it's usually 40-60 minutes of run/walk intervals.

I ran with my first husky since he was a puppy and now he just expects to take off like a bullet, he is getting better, but when it comes to training i can't help you. I ruined my pups in that way.
    Maybe you can start with a short run.
  • Ashleacurtice
    Ashleacurtice Posts: 54 Member
    Options

If you aren't set on the dog, get a RESCUE! Adopt, don't shop! And a dog who is a little older is better. Most vets will tell you not to run a dog who is very young.
    [/quote]

COMPLETELY agree with her!!! There are so many rescue groups who have dogs that would fit your lifestyle!

I have a 120 lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever and he LOVESSS to job with me...We usually walk/jog 2 miles. We did training classes for about 6 weeks...and after that he does AWESOME on a leash!

GOOD LUCK!
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I run with my husky-mix. She is 7 yrs old and we have been running since I got her when she was about a year old. She is a true sled dog and likes to be at the end of the leash in front of me. I quickly discovered that I need two arms swinging to run. I found a hands free leash (Cardio Canine - belt around my waist that the leash attaches to). Works perfect for us. I run/walk and my pace is pretty slow (11 min mile is blazing for us) so she is rarely ever truly running. We run in the road (subdivisions) so there are less sniff hazards and on the walk segment I go to the curb so she can do her business. We trained for a half marathon two years ago during a pretty hot summer. She was a trooper and came on all my runs. I thought I would only be able to take her up to 9 or 10 miles but we made it all the way to 14 miles and she still wanted to go for a walk later in the day.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I used to, but both are geriatric now, and get sore with little more than a walk around the block.

German shepard/akita mix: we just started with walks as soon as we got him, and the faster we walked, the faster he would. He loved it. He was injured when the lab was about 2 years old, ended up having surgery on one of his legs. Couldn't really tolerate a lot of jogging after that.

Black lab/rottweiler mix: Started with him as a puppy, about 8 weeks old. He loved to try and keep up with the G-shep. He turned into my jogging partner, and absolutely loved it. I wish we never would have stopped now.

The G-shep also became very upset when I'd jog with the other one, so that was part of my excuse for stopping. Our Lab mix is now almost 9, but his hips are in tough shape. Thus the treadmill, so I'm happy and the dogs don't get upset.

Back to the original question, they both just loved going out with us, and it sort of evolved that way. Both enjoyed it, and neither really needed to be trained to do it. We always carried treats, and the only hold up was usually stopping to let them poop/pee and scoop the poop.
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am working on it currently with my Australian Cattle Dog mix. These dogs were made to run! Unfortunately they were also made to drive cattle so she has recently taken to nipping in ankles to make me run faster.
  • alltalk199
    alltalk199 Posts: 275
    Options
    Hello! I have a pure bred american bull dog who is 2 years old now, had her since she was a puppy.

I walk and run with her everyday, cause she needs it and she loves a good run. I have a very strong bond and connection with her that when we go out for a walk or run, she will always run by my side, she is also obedient and loyal, so I don't have to worry about other people or their dogs. Temperament is great with family and children, so we didn't need to take her to training school.

All the best in finding what works for you and as long as you have a very strong bond with your dog, it will last a lifetime!
  • emom3boys
    emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My Kelpie/Shepherd 7 mo. puppy loves to go on walks, but she is not ready to start running yet (which is good because I'm not ready to run either). Someday I'm sure she will love it though.
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I run regularly with "Kip The Wonder Dog." He is a Mountain Feist. Think of a terrier with long legs but only about 16 inches tall. He walked with us for a long time (several years) before I decided to take him running and now he will not let me run without him. Some folks may not like this, but I swear by the "pinch" collars. If the dog pulls on the leash he feels gentle pressure. If he bolts it pinches! If you want his attention give a jerk.
    Kip regularly runs 6 miles with me and has run as much as 16. Only real problem is the heat (problem for me as well) so we try and go early in the morning in the summer.
    Suggest you concentrate on walking the dog until about 8 months old. Work on getting the dog to walk with you, not pull on the leash, not chase random critters, etc. the pinch collar will help a lot. Then start with short jogs in your walks and work up from there.
  • Ashleacurtice
    Ashleacurtice Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I run with my husky-mix. She is 7 yrs old and we have been running since I got her when she was about a year old. She is a true sled dog and likes to be at the end of the leash in front of me. I quickly discovered that I need two arms swinging to run. I found a hands free leash (Cardio Canine - belt around my waist that the leash attaches to). Works perfect for us. I run/walk and my pace is pretty slow (11 min mile is blazing for us) so she is rarely ever truly running. We run in the road (subdivisions) so there are less sniff hazards and on the walk segment I go to the curb so she can do her business. We trained for a half marathon two years ago during a pretty hot summer. She was a trooper and came on all my runs. I thought I would only be able to take her up to 9 or 10 miles but we made it all the way to 14 miles and she still wanted to go for a walk later in the day.

where did you find your hands free leash?? I am searching for a the best right now! Thanks!