What do you use to saute stuff

Options
So tonight I cut cut one potato, 1/2 onion, can of mushrooms and some garlic for the family. Yes one potato works because they do not sit long enough to eat sometimes. The problem I have is that even with only 3 tbsp on olive oil that is alot of calories to add to the dish. Anyone have suggestions on what they use to saute items. I have tried the sprays and they work for some things but not when you are minced garlic.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Christine

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Interested to read the responses to this.
  • cjdcmom
    cjdcmom Posts: 28
    Options
    Light Zesty Italian Dressing! But I don't saute potatoes. I use it for zucchini.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Use Pam Spray.

Use less olive oil.
  • doulanik
    doulanik Posts: 84
    Options
    I use organic coconut oil.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Chicken/vegetable broth, low sodium. I use sambal for heat, and brown sugar to caramelize.
    I'm getting hungry.....
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I saute, I can use a lot less oil if I just add water. I use an iron skillet. In the recipe you spoke of, I would use 1 tbsp of olive oil and maybe 1/2 cup water, the water spreads the oil around and then boils off.
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    3 tablespoons? That's a lot for the tiny amount of food you mentioned. I use a no stick pan and have a Misto spray. So instead of using something like Pam, which can totally ruin a no stick pan I just use the Misto (filled with olive oil) and it works great to give a little of the taste and make sure it keeps things from sticking.
  • xristysmith
    Options
    I use genric "pam" sprays, you can find different flavors. I use butter flavor. I get the taste without the calories ect
  • tipyourbartender
    tipyourbartender Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Spray canola oil... 0 calories :)
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I water saute .. Dr. Fuhrman style.. do a google search.. it's healthiest (although not tastiest)
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    ONE Tbsp of olive oil
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i always use organic canola spray in the skillet and never have any problems with it
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I can and have saute'd 8 large onions in 2-3 tbsp of olive oil. You're using olive oil as a light coating for the stuff in there rather than using it to be absorbed. Trust the oil and heat and use 1 tbsp rather than 3. 1 tbsp of olive oil goal a long ways imo.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    One tablespoon is the trick, also I toss with less oil and bake in hot oven, some results, be sure to use shallow dish
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I saute, I can use a lot less oil if I just add water. I use an iron skillet. In the recipe you spoke of, I would use 1 tbsp of olive oil and maybe 1/2 cup water, the water spreads the oil around and then boils off.

This is what I do. Sometimes I use a bit of lemon juice with the water too.
  • midcoast_mommy
    midcoast_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You can always cut down on the amount of oil you use. I use a little bit of organic coconut oil, or even just a bit of cooking spray.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    BUTTER!

GOD, I love my low carb diet! Bwahahahahahaha
  • darlyndax
    darlyndax Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too have always sauteed in water and spices. Works great!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • Aqhall
    Aqhall Posts: 1
    Options
    One tsp of oil is all you need, but saute some garlic first. You never need very much oil for great flavor!