PCOS and fertility

Options
13»

Replies

• Tiff6884
    Tiff6884 Posts: 28
    Options
    I am really hoping losing weight will help. PCOS had a lot to do with my weight gain, 50 lbs in less than a year. I was always a size 6, suddenly I was a 12 it felt like overnight. I have tried several times, but 3 different doctors, including a reproductive endocrinologist won't give me metformin. So I have to lose this weight on my own

I will tell you metformin works good for some people and not so well for others. I got extremely sick from it, and so did my cousin They ended up putting her on BC pills and she was able to conceive and have a child within about 3 months of taking BC. I even tried clomid to conceive and it caused an adverse reaction and caused my cyst to hyperstimualate. They preformed laproscopic surgery with a laser and haven't had trouble since. Be persuasive about getting what you need to treat PCOS because I had to go through multiple doctors and even my doctor was giving me trouble until I told them I know what my body needs and I should have a say so in what needs to be done, and it saved me from getting cancer.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Metformin did not work for me, but that's because PCOS has caused auto-immune liver disease. I'm infertile, I've developed endometriosis, and PID. I plan to never have children, because every generation of females in my family has it worse than the one before. I can't take birth control because my body can't handle the hormones. I'm on my own with this one! PCOS has ruined so many major parts of my life, and I'm not going to let it ruin my self esteem. Good luck to all of you ladies!
  • Lillyjohn
    Lillyjohn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I ve PCOS nd TTC. Was on medicines till Sep last year. Then stopped as I found it not useful. Now i am trying to reduce my weight to get things easy. I am hitting the gym regularly and am on a healthy diet too. I am worried as there is no much change in my weight. i have inch loss but no much weight loss.....Some one pls tell WHY....
  • Tiff6884
    Options
    Hi, I ve PCOS nd TTC. Was on medicines till Sep last year. Then stopped as I found it not useful. Now i am trying to reduce my weight to get things easy. I am hitting the gym regularly and am on a healthy diet too. I am worried as there is no much change in my weight. i have inch loss but no much weight loss.....Some one pls tell WHY....

I tried many different avenues of treatments when I had active PCOS, and nothing worked Birth Control was way to hard on me with all the hormones, and metaformin kept me sick, and exercising was near impossible, so my doctor suggested laser surgery, originally her intentions were to just exploratory surgery to see what was going on and she found my cysts were worse then initially thought, and as i said in my previous post she found precancerous cells on a couple of them, and when she was in there she also found each one of my ovaries were the size of softballs, and could have ruptured any day. Try asking your OB/GYN to see if they will be willing to do laser surgery to remove them it gave me relief and they never returned again. When I had an ultrasound with my children the tech said he saw no sign of the surgery or the cysts and it has been 8 years since I had the cysts removed. Don't give up on trying to lose weight because that is the number one helper in PCOS. You have to have patients and the weight will fall off. As a matter of fact I am doing the diet now that I was told to do back when I started gaining weight and that is a 1200 calorie diet with out cutting carbs, because my doctor said to cut all of 1 item out of your diet is not the way to go because you still need carbs and a balanced diet. I hope this helps, you are more then welcome to add me as a friend if you would like. Good luck..
  • Tiff6884
    Options
    Metformin did not work for me, but that's because PCOS has caused auto-immune liver disease. I'm infertile, I've developed endometriosis, and PID. I plan to never have children, because every generation of females in my family has it worse than the one before. I can't take birth control because my body can't handle the hormones. I'm on my own with this one! PCOS has ruined so many major parts of my life, and I'm not going to let it ruin my self esteem. Good luck to all of you ladies!

That is the best way to look at it look at the bright side of things, but there is no reason to give up complete hope. I was like you about to give in and say the heck with it, but I found hope, and looked into other options. The internet can help be a great resource in searching for help. My friend had endometriosis and they said she would never have children but she was able to still had 2 kids by not giving up hope. I wish you the best.
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I can completely relate. i'm sorry. it SUCKS! We've never been able to get pregnant in the 16 years we've been married.
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    bump
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We have not really tried for almost 3.5 years, when we were not married, I gained 45 lbs, in that time. My hormones were worse. We just married this past weekend and I have lost 8 lbs, I was dignosed in 2010 that I had PCOS, I am on metformin now, and we will see what happens, we are both going to eat healthy,and start walking to get in better shape and health.
  • PrincessShay135
    Options
    If they won't give you metoformin I would find a doctor that will.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from PCOS....please do not give up hope!! Just like others, I was told to accept the fact that I would probably not be a Mommy, and now I am spending my days chasing my little man!!
  • Persian99
    Persian99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from PCOS....please do not give up hope!! Just like others, I was told to accept the fact that I would probably not be a Mommy, and now I am spending my days chasing my little man!!

This is really inspiring.

I just finished a 2nd round of Clomid, but I think I'm done with it for now. I'm going to discuss some next steps with my doctor next week. I think I'd like to put the fertility treatments on hold for a while, and focus on losing weight and getting healthy. I weighed in at 241 lbs this morning - way too heavy to carry a pregnancy in any healthy way.

I know I'm able to get pregnant, but my only pregnancy was ages ago, and I weighed significantly less. I'm hoping to kickstart my fertility by losing weight, so my son isn't an only child.

I'm one of those people who signed up for MFP but never followed through. I hope this TTC struggle is the kick in the pants I need.