Protein Shakes???

Options
Shanel0916
Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
I'm wondering if protein shakes are truly necessary when working out and losing weight. I'm currently doing weight training 3-4 times a week along with cardio. Do I NEED protein shakes in my diet?

Thanks for any responses and opinions.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you get the protein you need through food, then no, there's no need for a protein shake.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I thinkit's easier to get protein with low calories with shakes. Meat tends to have more calories with same protein content.
  • oOTaraOo
    oOTaraOo Posts: 29
    Options
    No you don't need them as long as you are getting the correct amount of protein through your current food intake. As you are doing weight training you need protein to help your body recover after the sessions and you should consume it within 20 minutes after your workout.

I do rockclimbing so I find protein shakes the easiest and convenient way to do it as one of the climbing gyms I go to is 30 mins from home so I take a protein shake with me to have afterwards.
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I find it almost impossible to get enough protein without a shake. I've got my protein set pretty high though, depending on what you've set your macros you may be able to get it through your food without adding shakes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No you don't need them as long as you are getting the correct amount of protein through your current food intake. As you are doing weight training you need protein to help your body recover after the sessions and you should consume it within 20 minutes after your workout.

I do rockclimbing so I find protein shakes the easiest and convenient way to do it as one of the climbing gyms I go to is 30 mins from home so I take a protein shake with me to have afterwards.
    Myth. As long as you hit your daily protein goals, it doesn't matter when you consume it.
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You don't need them at all. I drink them because I'm super busy, and it's a fast way to get protein in the morning (I really hate eating in the morning, too) .

Watch out, though. The muscle building protein shakes are often LOADED with cholesterol. My BF was in serious trouble with his cholesterol until we realized how much he was taking in with his morning shake.

The Special K protein shakes are really good, and have very little cholesterol/excess calories.
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Special K strawberry shake.. Is YUMMY!!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    <comment deleted, I have got to stop reading these forums. Let's just replace them with a shell script that regurgitates the exact same crap over and over.>

*mumbles, kicks dirt, walks out of thread*
  • Denybonita
    Denybonita Posts: 10
    Options
    Read about body by vi!! I take it everyday and I love it!! xoxo
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if protein shakes are truly necessary when working out and losing weight. I'm currently doing weight training 3-4 times a week along with cardio. Do I NEED protein shakes in my diet?

Thanks for any responses and opinions.

None. Eat some real food... like steak... or eggs. Prepare them in advance so they're ready to grab when you get home.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said you definitely don't need them If you are getting enough protein from other sources, i just happen to love them!
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, peanut butter, almonds, egg white, protein bars - all replacements for shakes...
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thoughts. I have a protein shake as one of my snacks throughout the day. It's just about the right amount of calories, has both carbs and protein, and leaves me feeling VERY satisfied (I'm not hungry for several hours afterward). Plus they're actually pretty yummy. I find that I look forward to them. I just has a strawberry banana protein shake that was a little over 200 calories and mostly I felt like I was having a tasty milkshake.

What I will say about protein is this: I was doing the calorie restricted diet the best way I knew how to start with (eating "rabbit food" all the time) and I was ALWAYS hungry. Because I was ALWAYS hungry, I found myself cheating and even binging rather frequently. Then I switched to a low-cal diet that mandates protein and cabs with every meal and snack (6 total meals/snacks per day) and I am so much happier! I'm satisfied between meals, don't cheat nearly as often, and am almost always under my calorie goals.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I have protein powder mixed with 8oz of milk and a piece of fruit as my end of work meal usually 2 hours before I go to bed (in the morning). I work nights so that breakfast gives me much needed protein and keeps me full until I get up and have my evening meal prior to going to work. I have found that I eat less junk by doing this and it's helping me keep on track.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You don't need them at all. I drink them because I'm super busy, and it's a fast way to get protein in the morning (I really hate eating in the morning, too) .

Watch out, though. The muscle building protein shakes are often LOADED with cholesterol. My BF was in serious trouble with his cholesterol until we realized how much he was taking in with his morning shake.

The Special K protein shakes are really good, and have very little cholesterol/excess calories.

What protein shake was he using? Muscle Milk Light from costco also is low in cholesterol.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    What hasn't been addressed is HOW much you may need. MFP default setting is lower than many people think is acceptable when trying to maximize muscle growth. There are various schools of thought. I think established medicine is in the 1-1.2g per KG of weight range. Most in the athletic community tend to shoot for higher levels-1g per lb of lean body mass. So for you that might be over 100gs/day.

I prefer food but keep whey powder and whey bars on hand. I still take whey post workout. But I prefer food that is more satisfying. Chicken breast, egg whites, tuna, 90% or leaner beef and unsweetened greek yogurt are all pretty calorie efficient sources of protein, and can around as cost effective as whey if bought at warehouse clubs.
  • oOTaraOo
    oOTaraOo Posts: 29
    Options

Myth. As long as you hit your daily protein goals, it doesn't matter when you consume it.

I have read a lot of different conflicting articles about this and as I rockclimb on an empty stomach I do need to refuel after I exercise.

From my own personal experience (and from fellow rockclimbers) if we don't have the protein shakes we feel extremely tired the following day. It works for me so I am not going to stop and I am losing weight.
  • darlenem12
    darlenem12 Posts: 18
    Options
    I buy the premier protein shakes at Costco they are the best and when I don't have time to cook, it helps fill me up. They are the best for high protein and lower carbs. A doctor recommended the premier protein drinks to me. If your working out they will work great for you. You don't have to mix it with water or milk their already made.
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I buy the premier protein shakes at Costco they are the best and when I don't have time to cook, it helps fill me up. They are the best for high protein and lower carbs. A doctor recommended the premier protein drinks to me. If your working out they will work great for you. You don't have to mix it with water or milk their already made.

I love these shakes! I get mine at Sams Club. The price just went up to $18.88 for a 12 pack though so I won't be buying them as often as I used to. :brokenheart:
  • darlenem12
    darlenem12 Posts: 18
    Options
    At Costco their 24.49 for 18 but sometimes they have a coupon for 5. off. they are expensive, so I don't always buy them. I wish they were alot less.