Healthy lunches to bring to work w/ no microwave

Options
slammalee
slammalee Posts: 14 Member
Hi All! I know there are a few other "lunches to bring to work" type of topics on here but this is a little different and I need your help.

We only have a mini fridge and NO microwave at my work. I need suggestions on healthy lunches I can bring to work. Maybe someone knows of a easy way to at least keep lunches warm until lunch time if I heat them up before I leave for work? Or cold lunches that aren't salads (getting so sick of them..).

Anything information will help thanks!!

Replies

• trudefaith
    trudefaith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you could get a small insulated lunch bag ( some of them are really cute) and bring food in that! I like cut up vegetables, like carrots,celery radishes and bell peppers. and maybe a packet of tuna, the kind in the foil pouch has no water that needs drained with some crackers, fruit and nuts keep well at room temp. and a healthy sandwich like whole wheat bread with peanut butter or another nut butter and a dab of honey or if your using the lunch bag you could bring salads a great way to keep it cool is to freeze a water bottle that is filled halfway with whatever drink you like at lunch time and in the morning fill the rest of the way stick it in the bag with your food and by lunch time you will have a nice cold drink to go with your lunch hope this helps
  • tiffany1226
    tiffany1226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try the brownberry 100% whole wheat sandwich thins. Taste awesome. quick and easy. i throw honey turkey on mine with lettuce and tomato and im good to go for a couple hours.
  • slammalee
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    Chicken is good cold. Throw a little salsa on it and you are good to do.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My lunches are usually made up of a lot of finger food that I can eat on the run (I'm a camp director), so I like to bring things like hummus, carrots, celery and pb, a sammie, sometimes salad..

It's always great to change it up, and by having all sorts of smaller portions of things it makes me feel like I'm eating a ton, when I'm really not!
  • wendsong
    wendsong Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you like sardines but I love the mustard kind with wheat crackers or the make your own tuna kits are also convenient! You could also try a wheat wrap with chicken, tuna, etc...
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is my go to:

quinoa/brown rice + as many veggies as you want + protein source (tuna/chicken/tofu/etc) + lemon/olive oil or olive oil/tamari or soy sauce (<-- my new fave!). This keeps very well in the fridge and is awesome cold!
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I always made sandwich wraps and had little baggies of fruits and veggies. I was too cheap to buy a "real" lunch bag though, so I might have brought other stuff if I had. :wink:
    In my desk on the other hand, I had granola bars, those little packets of tuna, boxes of crackers, beef jerky, raisins, nuts ...a whole supply of dried goods :laugh:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    No microwave? Ok, so fish is out of the question. What? Everybody loves the guy who microwaves fish at the office.
  • slammalee
    Options
    oh awesome, thanks!
  • slammalee
    Options
    No microwave? Ok, so fish is out of the question. What? Everybody loves the guy who microwaves fish at the office.

haha! I think that may be why my boss doesn't want me to have a microwave in the office.... too funny.
  • slammalee
    Options
    I always made sandwich wraps and had little baggies of fruits and veggies. I was too cheap to buy a "real" lunch bag though, so I might have brought other stuff if I had. :wink:
    In my desk on the other hand, I had granola bars, those little packets of tuna, boxes of crackers, beef jerky, raisins, nuts ...a whole supply of dried goods :laugh:

That's a good idea- to keep a stash of snacks, etc.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    How about a wrap, but using lettuce instead of bread.

I also like shredded chicken on a slider roll...you can either microwave or eat cold. Then I also bring grape or cherry tomatoes, baby organic carrots, and a clif z bar (for kids).

Shredded chicken...skinless, boneless chicken breasts in the crockpot with Frank's Hot Sauce and some water. (1/2 c. hot sauce, with 1/4 c. water for 3 chicken breasts, but you can improvise). Cook on low for 6-7 hours, then remove and shred the chicken in a bowl. After shredding, return to crockpot for a couple of minutes to soak in the rest of the liquid.

I like Martin's whole wheat potato rolls (slider size) which are 100 calories ea.

This makes great leftovers, easy for work.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've heard of some people make a burrito wrap it in foil than put it in a thurmus with a little hot water and it's supposed to keep the burrito from getting dried out but keeps it warm.
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm on the road in my car most days, so I have an insulted lunch bag that I use. In not-so-hot weather, a small ice pack is usually enough to keep things cold enough...in really hot weather, I do the frozen water bottle trick also. As for the food....

Yogurt with almonds to mix in (I like the crunch, makes me feel like I'm eating more!)
    Veggies with hummus or laughing cow cheese wedge
    Fruit
    Sandwiches - meat/cheese, chicken salad, egg salad
    granola bars
    mini rice cakes (chocolate are my favorite!!)

Good luck!!
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    the wraps and sandwich thins are good options... as well as salads.. cut up fruits/veggies... I personally like pita/hummus or pretzel thins/hummus.. there's lots of low cal munchies. There's a thread on the forums here with like 100 different snacks under 100 calories too.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    have you asked if you can get one? They may provide one or you could buy one and leave it there. I bought one for my workplace. Everyone loves it. I got a cheap one at Fred's. Was well worth the expense.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter, bananas and no-sugar added jelly on spelt or rye bread. And a fruit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    and garlic!