Afraid to be seen working out..

Options
All I want to do is attempt to go for a run outside. If it's not me worried about people I know seeing me, its me worrying about myself looking stupid trying to run and workout in public... I shouldn't worry about what people think but I do.. It gets me so nervous and anxious.
What do I do... >.<

Replies

• scarlettsky7
    scarlettsky7 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    wear sunglasses, makeup, comfortable gym clothes, pop in your headphones, and dont think about it---just do it! no excuses :) everybody needs exercise and has to start somewhere. often people think they have to get in shape to be seen at the gym or outside, but *kitten* the world if anyone has a problem with your healthy running habits!!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    you could try going out in the middle of the night;)
  • mellybelly08
    Options
    Maybe I'll try early morning... I used to walk when it was dark out but I don't think i can anymore never know what kind of creepers are lurking... even if I am in a good area lol!
    Thanks guys... I guess I just need a little push!
  • VeroBerry
    VeroBerry Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I see someone outside jogging, I'm think to myself: Darnit! I need to get in my workout too! lol So it pretty much inspires me to work out.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Check the rules to your local high school track. You might be able to run there. Not many people show up at ours.
  • minnie_monroe
    Options
    or you could just workout at home if that is such a big deal for you :) do some cardio program or sth :)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Put your headphones on, crank up the tunes, and go workout.

Seriously, I have been on both sides of this. I have been the super fit guy running 5-6 miles at a go. I've also been the very fat guy out trying to run 1/2 a mile looking like I was about to have a heart attack, every bit of me jiggling and shaking. Almost everyone I have ever run into that was working out will respect you for getting out there and doing it, no matter what shape you're in.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hell, put the sunglasses and headphones on and just do it, you're doing something good for you, who cares what other people think, what would they think anyway, that this person is working out and trying to be healthy??
  • cmthorsness
    cmthorsness Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I see someone outside jogging, I'm think to myself: Darnit! I need to get in my workout too! lol So it pretty much inspires me to work out.

Yes This!!!
  • fuck3you4LL
    Options
    it did happened to me months ago, but now I dont care.
    I just put my ipod on and focus on my walk. I know my busty chests moving up and down, and some people steal glances at them and maybe making fun of me...but hey I dont care.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard. I workout at home because I'm self-conscious, but I really would love to try running someday. There's a small track at the elementary school just around the corner, but I'm so afraid of being seen (plus I have no idea how many laps = one mile since it's smaller than a regulation track).

I need to get courage, just like you. I keep thinking about buying a treadmill just to avoid being seen, but then I realize it's silly to spend that kind of money just because I'm a chicken. :)
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I understand the urge and need to be outside, and I hate to have people look at me, or so I think they are looking at me. Running is definitely not an option but even walking... I have found a park that not a lot of people go so perhaps I will brave it... refreshing to know there are other people who think the same.
  • cadillacfrank
    cadillacfrank Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    you gotta do whatever you're comfortable doing because if you feel weird or self-conscious, you won't be as inclined to keep doing it... at least that's the way I see it.

I'm the same way. Haven't gotten a gym membership and I don't go out jogging/running because of the perception of "what's a fat guy doing here?" I do agree with everyone else, though, that you should, at least, give it a try. I couldn't get past the weird feeling, so I've found other ways to get my workouts in and as my ticker shows, something's working :)
  • 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    id rather be seen running instead of someone seeing me jumping an imaginary rope like in 30DS. i feel like a total fool doing it.
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    I feel the same way you do, but once I do it and finish I feel accomplished!!!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Run with headphones in, baseball hat and sunglasses, tune the world out.

Run at night (but in well-lit areas, stay off the road and wear reflective gear!)

You probably will look silly, I think most people do when running.

But you will also look like someone who is working to improve their health and fitness, and that is never a bad look. Good luck!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This is what keeps people fat...fear. There is only one way to get past it, and that is to face it head on. Just go do it, use the anxiety to fuel your workout and keep your head up high (figuratively). One day becomes two...two becomes a week, and pretty soon, you have no more anxiety...and a lot less weight on your body!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! YOU DESERVE TO BE ABLE TO MOVE YOUR BODY WHEN AND HOW YOU LIKE!!!! TAKE NO *kitten* FROM ANYONE!!! You are fierce and alive...and you want to move. Go do it!!!
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, but really, just try and remember that everyone's probably too focused on doing their own thing to pay attention to you. If you think you'll be fumbling around, try starting with a heavy walk rather than rushing into a full-blown run.

If you're REALLY nervous about it, get some workout DVDs or look online for them (they are everywhere) and stay inside to get your workout. That's what I prefer doing; my neighborhood isn't really the safest to walk in.
  • tempestrising
    Options
    Hi...don't worry..the anxiety will lessen...& not be so important as time goes by.
    When I got started , I would walk in my local park...there would be times it would be busy w/ other walkers & runners.
    Then hardly anyone at all. I try to appreciate the beautiful landscape surrounding me &
    enjoy the music on my playlists. Hopefully you'll see that everybody is trying to achieve
    similar goals. Good Luck to you.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    In my head I look sexy when I jazzercise, look hot when I run and look hardcore when I am at boot camp.

In the real world I look freaking awkward but it's part of my charm so I own that ship ;) and don't care who watches lol.