Anyone else rinse their hamburger?

Options

Replies

• BeautifulKristen
    Options
    i only rinse the chicken not the meat. I never was told to rinse it. That stuff comes off when you cook it.. And again buy a George Foreman that is the most healthiest way to cook your meat and poultry
  • dan_jones
    dan_jones Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't need to rinse mine because I use a 92% lean meat called , Lauras.
    It really tastes good and after cooking in a pan, there is so little grease
    released it doesn't amount to enough to pour into my greasebottle.

Now thats lean meat. Stick with lean, its got to be better for you and
    if you find a good one I think you will find it tastes better.

I know it costs a little more, but it is worth it, really.
    Its about 6 dollars for one pound.

Dan
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    i only rinse the chicken not the meat. I never was told to rinse it. That stuff comes off when you cook it.. And again buy a George Foreman that is the most healthiest way to cook your meat and poultry

I own a George Foreman, that little grill is not large enough to cook the amount of meat I cook at a time so I cook my lean ground beef or lean ground turkey in a pan on the stove. That's why I rinse the meat off afterwards, because all that unnecessary grease is still on the meat.
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I dont rinse any meat, if i needed to i might blot after cooking , and i now buy Venison burgers when i can , they are delicious and lower in fat than the beef ones .x
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I would just buy the more expensive leaner beef.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Rinsing meat??? urdoinitwrong!

fork over the extra 20c a pound for a leaner grade, mince it yourself or switch meats. Don't waste the glorious flavour for the sake of a couple of grams of fat!

Fat is really misunderstood and even a moderate amount of saturated (animal) fat is fine within the context of a healthy diet. I'm shuddering to think how you must prepare steak! :laugh:
  • ValiCaly
    ValiCaly Posts: 111
    Options
    Rinsing the meat decreases fat content by about 25%.
  • PennyRLane
    PennyRLane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't think that rinsing the meat is very good for you. Unless you are using filtered water. It sounds strange but you can get bacteria from unfiltered water BACK onto your meat and you can get sick... I know it isn't anything that you were asking for my my husband does health service reviews for local businesses and he had read your question over my shoulder and asked if you were using filtered water.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I only rinse ground meat that is being made into a dish like spaghetti sauce, tacos, etc. I do not rinse a hamburger patty that's going to be eaten as a hamburger.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers and high fat content help lose weight now then do they? Why are you buying them?

And as for "Moderate to high amounts of fat are necessary for proper body function all the way down to the cellular level." this is true but HDLs not LDLs, fat from meat is the same consititution as your own body fat. How on earth will that help on a cellular level besides adding more fat to your body fat percentage? What is wrong with you people?

What is wrong with a healthy alternative, spend money on chicken at least that won't be saturated in chicken fat when you remove the skin.

Oh get off your high horse, youve obviously made the same mistakes as others at one point or another or you wouldnt be here.

People are mostly talking about mince, or ground beef anyway,not ACTUAL burgers, and theres nothing wrong with eating red meat in moderation.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So we take a cooked burger and use an immiscible liquid (water) to wash the surface and 25% of the fat is removed ? Yeah, right.

Can I have what you're smoking please :-)

Rinsing meat, oh how I laughed.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    So we take a cooked burger and use an immiscible liquid (water) to wash the surface and 25% of the fat is removed ? Yeah, right.

Do they not mean draining the fat off once its started cooking and rinsing the grease off? It confused me a little too, but Ive strained the fat that comes out of mince once Ive started cooking it.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Lol, I saw this title too and an image of someone holding a cooked burger under a tap came to mind :o)

To non US folk- a hamburger is a ready formed burger. I think people in the US call minced/ground meat 'hamburger'.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Want to get all the fat out, cook your hamburger till it looks and taste like a charcoal briquette.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yep, you 'Mericans are talking about minced beef not actual pre-formed burgers.

No, I'd never do that. It seems ridiculous and, well, some fat is good for you, y'know. I used to work with an anorexic girl who had almost no fat in her diet - she ate lots of veg but nothing fatty and her skin was dry and her hair started falling out. Eat those fats people.

also, if you wash the meat after it is cooked you are washing away the flavour. The "umami" I think its called. those browned bits on the meat from cooking provide the taste.

If you must do this try pouring boiling water over the raw meat and then browning it, might help retain some flavour.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    If Im making my own burgers (I will grind up sirloin or eye round depending on the recipe), I make sure they are grilled - the fat serves multiple purposes: Retains moisture in the burger, flavor enhancer, actually helps to keep it from sticking to the grill and falling apart. No hockey-pucks at my BBQ functions!!!!

If Im making a bolognese or a hearty meat-sauce, I will drain the majority of the fat, but I still need some of if to retain the flavor and it makes a great sauce (dont need butter for thickening anything, the fat is right there)...

Making meatballs, they have to be 73%-80% ratio... as the fat flavors it, it cooks right out of the meat and with proper temperature, the right recipe and keeping track of time, I always run out of meatballs, everyone loves them!

I have beef probably three times per week and my cholesterol is only 117, all my numbers are extremely low so its definitely not harming me any time soon....
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    also, if you wash the meat after it is cooked you are washing away the flavour. The "umami" I think its called. those browned bits on the meat from cooking provide the taste.

Damn right girl!~
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers and high fat content help lose weight now then do they? Why are you buying them?

And as for "Moderate to high amounts of fat are necessary for proper body function all the way down to the cellular level." this is true but HDLs not LDLs, fat from meat is the same consititution as your own body fat. How on earth will that help on a cellular level besides adding more fat to your body fat percentage? What is wrong with you people?

What is wrong with a healthy alternative, spend money on chicken at least that won't be saturated in chicken fat when you remove the skin.

I eat 95% lean hamburger every week. Sometimes twice a week and I have lost 131 lbs. I also have perfect cholesterol, lowered my BP and feel wonderful. I have been doing thsi for over a year. Sooooo....I'm not sure where this 'adding more fat to your body fat %" is.....but it's NOT on me. =)
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i think fat gives beef the best flavor. If your worred about how much fat ur getting eat a little less of hamburger. If there is alot of grease put a paper towel on top and press. i always do that with my bacon and sausage, even when i was not trying to lose wieght.

I eat deer hamburger where we add beef fat, if we did not add that fat it would taste bland.

But the proof is in the pudding if your losing wieght doing it, keep it up and dont let other people stop you, because the biggest rule in wieght loss is a skinnier you is a healthier you, Eating fat or not.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have never rinsed it before. I have always blotted though. Not in an attempt to reduce calories, I just don't care for the greasy taste and texture. I also blot pizza, fried eggs and what ever I can see grease pooling on....yuck. If I am making ground beef for chili or spaghetti sauce I will drain the meat and spread it out on paper towels, then roll it up and give it a squeeze. I don't know why I started doing this, but I was like 9-10 when I started. I also cut visible fat off anything I cook...steaks, chicken, pork, turkey...