Don't trust MFP food values

Options
Just some friendly advice,

I decided to manually check everything on my usual days food diary (as I record everything - going by the most popular items on the food list) - by taking the values directly off the package & creating a private food recipes list (so it can't be changed) - it turns out that the total sugar, carb's & calories were around 20% higher than MFP's food list stated.

As I'm aiming for around 1800 on off days & 2200 on exercise days - the 200 variance was enough to wipe off most of my deficit.

Check the values against what's on back of the packaging, each time you do create a new private food & use that - you should notice an improvement.

Replies

• samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    thanks for the tip... :wink: anyway my food is different here so I have to create a new food almost everyday!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    most of the values for food when I input in my diary have verifications from other mfp users...if you find an item that isn't accurate, then you should feed that back.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I always check off the package of anything I eat unless it's not processed and there is no package.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

Check the values against what's on back of the packaging, each time you do create a new private food & use that - you should notice an improvement.

Why create a new one... why not just edit the one that's there to contain the proper values? That's what I usually do...
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    this is very true. a lot of the times the data is inaccurate, which is why I usually take it as a grain of salt and check food labels (which are said to be somewhat inaccurate as well).
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    this is very true. a lot of the times the data is inaccurate, which is why I usually take it as a grain of salt and check food labels (which are said to be somewhat inaccurate as well).

I hope you're logging that grain of salt.... :wink:
  • phil4v7
    phil4v7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Food companies do change their recipes from time to time as well, some of them more often than others. I've also seen the serving size change, possibly to make the product appear healthier by having fewer calories? I'm not sure. So yes, I do a spot check on the foods I eat from time to time, but don't see the benefit of everyone creating their own private food entries.
  • elmarko123
    elmarko123 Posts: 89
    Options
    Well, one point being that I'd wager that in different country's, the same foods have different nutritional values (due to the different EU/US food regulation).

If you change it, you may be changing it from EU to US - with different foods getting switched back & forth - I'd also assume that in the rest of the world they have a different set of food regulations (which could result in even more differences).

The logic behind creating your own, is so that nobody can change it (to a different regions values)
  • sabermax
    sabermax Posts: 69
    Options
    I really have not had a problem with that. What I have a problem with is the calories burned from exercise. I find MFP say I burned more than the machines that I worked out at, Some times by a couple hundred or more. So I go to www.fitclick.com/calories_burned . It gives me a much more accurate reading of calories burned.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I hope you're logging that grain of salt.... :wink:

of course! ;)
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I really have not had a problem with that. What I have a problem with is the calories burned from exercise. I find MFP say I burned more than the machines that I worked out at, Some times by a couple hundred or more. So I go to www.fitclick.com/calories_burned . It gives me a much more accurate reading of calories burned.

I know what you mean, which is why I got myself a decent HRM! Much more accurate! :happy:
  • elmarko123
    Options
    most of the values for food when I input in my diary have verifications from other mfp users...if you find an item that isn't accurate, then you should feed that back.
    Well, the verification isn't the problem - it may be right (to the person who created it) - just not correct for people in other parts of the world.
  • munchie34668
    munchie34668 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info!
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    Well, one point being that I'd wager that in different country's, the same foods have different nutritional values (due to the different EU/US food regulation).

If you change it, you may be changing it from EU to US - with different foods getting switched back & forth - I'd also assume that in the rest of the world they have a different set of food regulations (which could result in even more differences).

The logic behind creating your own, is so that nobody can change it (to a different regions values)
    Thats what I do... anyway its in spanish!!!!! :bigsmile: (forever alone????)
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    I do all my own food because I am anal and obsessive. But it's private so it's not cluttering up the database
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I always use the packaging. Never just what people have put in the database.

1 cup of something? How is that an accurate measure? I hate cups. So glad we don't use them in UK recipes.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options

1 cup of something? How is that an accurate measure?

Because it's a standard sized, uniform unit of measurement, perhaps?
  • LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Thanks FitClick actually says I'm burning more calories than MFP :)
  • elmarko123
    Options
    I always use the packaging. Never just what people have put in the database.

1 cup of something? How is that an accurate measure? I hate cups. So glad we don't use them in UK recipes.
    Yup, another good reason.

I want it per 100g, so I can do it manually (weigh the food).

I also have an inkling that some people are deliberately putting them lower (thinking off, it's 17 so ill put 15 (always rounding down) - as every single item I changed ended up being higher than the MFP data-base stated.
  • Peppah7
    Peppah7 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thank you!