bananas good or bad for weightloss?

Options
i usually have about 2 or 3 a day because i love them so much but realized they are really high in carbs...am i eating too many a day? i've heard they are bad for weightloss and also heard that they are good...help please!

Replies

• laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    all i've heard about them that's bad is that they can be "binding", or in other words, they can lead to constipation... and that can impede weight loss. so if you notice yourself not having as many -- ahem -- movements... maybe cut back on the nanners!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i usually have about 2 or 3 a day because i love them so much but realized they are really high in carbs...am i eating too many a day? i've heard they are bad for weightloss and also heard that they are good...help please!

Neither, calories then macronutrients matter, the actual sources matter little. So if you are getting in adequate protein and fats every day and can maintain a calorie deficit while eating the bananas, then go for it
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Pretty sure that is based off Susanna Holt's study and funny I don't see jellybeans or white potatoes on the chart, both of which scored quite high on the satiety index (white boiled potatoes were actually found most satiating) but since those don't go along with their little low GI for satiety, I guess they left them off
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Neither, calories then macronutrients matter, the actual sources matter little. So if you are getting in adequate protein and fats every day and can maintain a calorie deficit while eating the bananas, then go for it

Plus they make for some radical smoothies!
  • SarahSwimmer
    SarahSwimmer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    hahaha this reminds me of that silly ad MFP has running on it "the five foods not to eat to lose weight" and has an animated banana browning. I lost my first 5 or 10 pounds by dropping a lot of processed carbs and substituting with 2 bananas a day, along with whole grains. I think they're healthy! (As long as you're not counting them as totally "free" because you're on weight watchers and eating loads; either way, I found two a day is a pretty good number)
  • 123Kate
    123Kate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with them IMO. I onyl eat one a day at the most simply because between me and 3 kids thats 4 bananas a day (lucky hubby doesnt eat them!) and they arent cheap lol. I limit all fruits to one a day of each variety between all of us, that way we get lots of different fruits in (apples, bananas, plums, kiwifruits etc) which all have differing nutrients so more balanced than filling up on just one fruit

but overall it doesnt really matter as long as you arent overeating
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    all i've heard about them that's bad is that they can be "binding", or in other words, they can lead to constipation... and that can impede weight loss. so if you notice yourself not having as many -- ahem -- movements... maybe cut back on the nanners!

Same, I've heard that as well. I usually have .5 to 1 per day, 2 to 3 is a little excessive since you may also be going over your sugar intake because fruits are high in sugar. Even though natural sugar is better than added sugar it's still something to watch out for.
  • mando784
    mando784 Posts: 1
    Options
    so.. good or bad... ---> Bananas
  • vijisrik
    vijisrik Posts: 11
    Options
    It has lots of nutrients. Dont have i along with food. Have as a meal of its own and it is good for health.
  • HideNGeek
    HideNGeek Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I go by the idea that it's fresh fruit, therefore, good for you in moderation, too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing.
    I have one every day without fail, for breakfast, great source of energy.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options

Pretty sure that is based off Susanna Holt's study and funny I don't see jellybeans or white potatoes on the chart, both of which scored quite high on the satiety index (white boiled potatoes were actually found most satiating) but since those don't go along with their little low GI for satiety, I guess they left them off

White potatoes are on the chart, they are actually off the chart because of their high satiety rating!
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I usually eat one a day.. any and everything is perfectly fine as long as you can keep things in moderation..its all about balance.. I say if you love bananas there is NO harm in eating them as long as they fit in your daily goal :flowerforyou:
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have never given up bananas. They're great for you! :smile:
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I love bananas! They are one fruit that I do watch how much I eat, though, just because they pack a higher calorie and sugar punch. But, hey, they have lots of good stuff and they taste good with almost everything! :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    bananas are ok but there is nothing magical about them. if you want to use all those calories for that many bananas every day then go for it but I would mix it up a bit more just to avoid all the sugar carbs in that many bananas
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I love me some banana puddin..
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a fruit, and epidemiology (an imperfect science at best) consistantly shows that people who choose to eat a lot of fruit tend to live a bit longer. So they're definitely not "bad for you." But, like any other food, they have calories which must be taken into account. I personally find bananas fairly filling, but there are some people who can really eat a lot of bananas.

And they do make for awesome smoothies!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Banana + peanut butter = awesome, filling, and nutritious.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Definitely continue to eat them! They are good for you. Maybe not 3 a day, but it just depends on how much of your daily intake you want to dedicate to them.