Only a pound a week??

Options
I'm no stranger to the diet & health industry and I know that many health care professionals (and this website) say a pound a week is "recommended & healthy weight loss". I really struggle with patience, but I think for once I'm actually going to take the pros up on their word and strive to lose weight at a slower, consistent pace so I can lose weight and KEEP IT OFF this time.

Thoughts? :ohwell:

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Thoughts? What's the rush? You're 18. You have all the time in the world :)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you. A few extra months of patience is no big deal in the larger scheme of things.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely on the right track....good luck!
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    I've been a yoyo dieter and I intend to go real slllloooooow. Of course I want it all to go right now, but slow and steady.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    These are my suggestions ......

- Make the healthiest possible food choices at each meal & snack !

- Move as much as possible !

:happy:
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are more likely to keep it off, the slower you take it. Still, over 90% of us gain it back so keep vigilant. Try to make it a lifestyle change. If you can't live without ____ food, don't! Find an acceptable sub now, or work it into your calorie plan, so when you hit goal you don't have to resort to going back to your old style of eating in order to be content.
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track. I used to want to drop several pounds per week. I thought that was okay to do and I was able to do it in the past, but I was never able to keep the weight off permanently. I have found it is working so much better for me to take my time and make small changes to my eating habits. This is making me more conscience of my everyday decisions, and I'm still losing weight and becoming much fitter but at a slow and steady pace this time. Good luck!

16774070.png
  • wrecktechno
    wrecktechno Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    A pound is too slow for me. We're told here in Australia that you can lose a kilogram a week. That's what I want. and I want it now. I want you. Cos I'm Mr...

I've lost weight slowly and correctly before and I put it back on when I moved back home. I'd rather lose it quickly and put it back on than slow and put it back on.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Does the story of the tortoise and the hare mean anything to you? Slow and steady wins the race. :)
  • elmarko123
    elmarko123 Posts: 89
    Options
    From what I've read losing 1 pound a week is the ideal amount (ensuring it's not muscle you are losing) - anything over has the possibility of being unhealthy.

The problem is, we have 100's of different fad diet around making people think that losing 4 pounds a week (unless you are already obese) is realistic.

If you are only mildly over-weight then don't expect more than 1 pound a week, do some resistance/strength training to ensure the weight lost is fat & not muscle - as some muscle really helps keep the skin firm & healthy.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way…if you lose one pound a week, you are losing more fat. If you lose two pounds per week you are losing muscle. So after losing ten pounds in ten weeks, you would LOOK THE SAME as if you had lost twenty pounds in ten weeks.

The main goals here are to be healthier (keep/build muscle) and look better (getting smaller in this instance). Both of these are better achieved with slower loss.