5 days post panniculectomy surgery (pics)

Options
kmlt08
kmlt08 Posts: 1,054 Member
I have been keeping everyone updated via my video blog on my youtube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/KMLT08?feature=mhee
(Feel free to watch them..I recommend going from my 1st video to my most recent which was taken 6/13/12)

Anyways just took my 5 days post panniculectomy (with abdominal fascia repair and epigastric hernia of the linea alba repair) comparison pictures and I wanted to share~

Front Comparison~
10o2vlw.png

Side Comparison~
2w4bvc7.png

I look forward to what it looks like once the swelling goes down! But pretty amazed at how great it already looks!

I have lost over 150lbs in 19.5 months through portion control/moderation, increased liquids and staying active. So no crazy weight loss fads/surgeries for me, just hard work and determination! You can view some photos of my size healthier journey here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/608770-150-9lbs-lighter-in-19-months-pics-onederland

A lot of the questions you may have regarding this procedure is likely answered in my videos and if your thinking about doing this surgery I highly recommend watching the videos as they are very informative!

Frequently Asked Questions-
Was your surgery cosmetic or a tummy tuck?
No it was medical necessary and it was originally a panniculectomy but once they went in there they found my abdominal fascia was separated and I had an epigastric hernia linea alba (which they said they wouldn't have known until they went in anyways) So with them tightening my fascia it did go more into an abdominalplasty with hernia repair.

Did your insurance cover it fully?
Yes, since I was having so many other issues they deemed it "medically necessary to remove it" and fully covered it.
(I go into further detail on how I was able to get it fully covered on my video blogs)

How long were you in the hospital?
4 days is how long I stayed from being admitted prior to surgery (Friday 6-8 to leaving around 12pm Tuesday 6-12) I did have some post operative ileus which is a fancy term for my GI Tract stopped functioning for a while and took a bit to come back. I have had to deal with pretty bad nausea following surgery.

How much skin/fat did they remove?
I am unsure the total amount but hope to find out on the 21st at my post-op. (also hoping to see pictures of the skin they removed)
The duration of my hospital stay though I lost 6lbs (granted I am really swollen and bloated right now)

Thanks so much for viewing/commenting!

Replies

• indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    Wow that's quite a difference! I wish you a very speedy recovery. :happy:
  • kmlt08
    Options

Thank you very much!! Taking it 1 day at a time and trying my best to take it easy! :)
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options

Thank you very much!! Taking it 1 day at a time and trying my best to take it easy! :)

I should hope so! It looks like you're likely feeling a bit tender. And I'm fully sympathetic to your post surgery nausea - anesthesia leaves me violently ill every time I've had to be knocked out for something.
  • kmlt08
    Options

I should hope so! It looks like you're likely feeling a bit tender. And I'm fully sympathetic to your post surgery nausea - anesthesia leaves me violently ill every time I've had to be knocked out for something.

Ugh sounds awful! yeah being under 4 hours and then they gave me an antibiotic via IV following surgery made me pretty sick feeling. Luckily I didnt throw up, but came close several times. I have some anti-nausea meds at home here but have only needed to take one this early am when I took my pain pills on an empty stomach. Now I have 2-3 saltines before consuming my pain pills and it helps.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow !!! The difference is AMAZING !!! You're a new woman !!

That's one long scar though, how are you handling the pain? And I notice you don't have any drains.

And its amazing that you're already walking around. You must be so pleased !!
  • jennnnn2u
    jennnnn2u Posts: 133
    Options
    That looks fantastic! And, yes, that is quite a long incision. But a guess I would rather have the scar than all the skin any day!

I had spine surgery a couple years ago and can recall how terrible the nausea was. I took a cab home and almost had to get out and get a different cab because the drivers cologne was making me sooooo sick!!!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You must be so happy! Some people will always say dumb things like, "Oh, you should have done more situps" - get real. When you have skin with stretching like this plastic surgery (or more as needed like in your case) is a reasonable solution - not just for asthetics, but for comfort too! I'm sure that nausea and pain will be just a distant memory every time you look in the mirror or slip into that bikini!

And congrats on your weight loss - so inspirational! :flowerforyou:
  • Smead3369
    Smead3369 Posts: 32
    Options
    Girlie, that is soooo AWESOME !!! Your situation gives me such HOPE !!!! I am sooo HAPPY FOR YOU and you look TERRIFIC !!
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    That looks great! Congratulations on your weight loss.
  • kmlt08
    Options
    Wow !!! The difference is AMAZING !!! You're a new woman !!

That's one long scar though, how are you handling the pain? And I notice you don't have any drains.

And its amazing that you're already walking around. You must be so pleased !!
    Thank you so much! Trying my best to keep it under control!
    I have 3 drains they are just coming out under my underwear and strapped down on the sides (kinda why they are hanging so low on me haha)
    Yup walking feels really good! Kinda got yelled at for walking to much haha!
  • kmlt08
    Options
    That looks fantastic! And, yes, that is quite a long incision. But a guess I would rather have the scar than all the skin any day!

I had spine surgery a couple years ago and can recall how terrible the nausea was. I took a cab home and almost had to get out and get a different cab because the drivers cologne was making me sooooo sick!!!

OMG Completely agree! I am trying to come up with neat horror survival stories on how I have such a long incision hehe!

OH WOW! I can so relate though my husband brought up coffee the next day and I made him walk away to finish it and chew gum before he could come back in the room!
  • kmlt08
    Options
    You must be so happy! Some people will always say dumb things like, "Oh, you should have done more situps" - get real. When you have skin with stretching like this plastic surgery (or more as needed like in your case) is a reasonable solution - not just for asthetics, but for comfort too! I'm sure that nausea and pain will be just a distant memory every time you look in the mirror or slip into that bikini!

And congrats on your weight loss - so inspirational! :flowerforyou:

Thank you so much! Yes with having my pannus for over 12 years and all the medical stuff on top of the fact it was "hindering" me from being able to exercise I definitely feel it was medically just. But people can believe whatever they want to believe and I respect that just as I hope they would respect the fact that I went into this surgery not lightly and knew it would be painful but in the long run make my life 100000x better!

Thank you I truly appreciate it!
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing. Congrats on the weight lost and hope you are looking forward to the shopping!
  • bikechic61
    bikechic61 Posts: 39
    Options
    I certainly understand your need for the surgery. Even if it HAD happened for cosmetic reasons I think that would even be justified. As hard as you worked to lose that weight you would certainly have a right to want to look good. I don't think there should be ANY social stigma attached to cosmetic surgery after weight loss.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    WOW! The difference is amazing! I've always wanted to get my belly "fixed" more for cosmetic reasons than medical. It looks a little worse than yours did prior due to severe stretch marks but this really inspires me to work hard to get to goal. My husband told me if I could maintain my goal weight for a year, we would work it into our budget. You look great my dear! Congratulations on your weight loss and the "new" you!
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I had the same surgery last year...My advice to you is take it easy, rest, and take your pain meds. :) Don't forget to stock up on Mederma so when your incision closes, you can start making the scar heal nicer. Only bad part I've noticed is now I have to watch which bathing suit bottoms I wear because my scar will show in some of the bathing suit styles. I never thought about that, but oh well, life goes on and I'll take my body now over what it was then. You look great and happy healing!
  • kmlt08
    Options
    Girlie, that is soooo AWESOME !!! Your situation gives me such HOPE !!!! I am sooo HAPPY FOR YOU and you look TERRIFIC !!
    Thank you!
  • kmlt08
    Options
    That looks great! Congratulations on your weight loss.

Thanks so much!
  • kmlt08
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing. Congrats on the weight lost and hope you are looking forward to the shopping!

Well I am excited to see what pant size I will be in thats for sure! :D Thanks!!
  • kmlt08
    Options
    I certainly understand your need for the surgery. Even if it HAD happened for cosmetic reasons I think that would even be justified. As hard as you worked to lose that weight you would certainly have a right to want to look good. I don't think there should be ANY social stigma attached to cosmetic surgery after weight loss.

I completely agree with what you said! Thank you so much!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!