Lowering carbs - really tough. How do u do it?'

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary...my ratio is set to 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats...I'm almost always under on carbs and I eat around 1400 cals a day. Meat, veggies, a couple servings of fruit, more veggies and lean meat...gets the job done!
  • anihop
    anihop Posts: 18
    Options
    I am attempting the 'slow-carb' diet. I am supposed to eat beans/lentils with each meal. I have noticed that they have a lot of carbs in them so I guess I'm confused. Maybe that's the difference between 'low-carb' and 'slow-carb'?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't!

Carbs are not the enemy if you eat clean!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hey there, low carbing takes some getting used to. Basically, you have to vigilant about reading labels. There's a lot of hidden carbs out there. Also, I've found that (for me) it's taken some getting used to in terms of changing what I eat every day. I'm just now figuring out what I can and should eat to keep my carbs lowish (i aim at less than 100 g) and still feel comfortable and satisfied with my meals. Feel free to add me if you want to see my diary. I'm also eating paleo-ish (still have some dairy in my diet... who could possibly give up cheese!)
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    open your diary so we can have a peek. Fruits are high in carbs... slow carb is basically not eating refined white type carbs...
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    More protein (meat-fish-egg) and more foods which are high in fiber -- (organic) oat bran and wheat bran do contain carbs but have a lot of fiber but are low in sugars, which will make you feel full.
  • jpruder
    jpruder Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat under 25g of carbs two days a week at the moment. I do not eat beef, so you'll notice that most of meat is chicken, turkey, and shrimp. Below is what I tend to do:

Breakfast: Kroger Carbmaster yogurt (only 4g!), string cheese, and/or nuts.
    Lunch: Chicken sausage or grilled chicken, 2 baby cucumbers, kale, and some cheese or a chicken salad with nuts
    Snack: Low carb protein shake (I personally like the Dark Chocolage Royale from Atkins) or nuts
    Dinner: Turkey patty with cheese and lettuce/kale with zucchini and broccolli OR shrimp with a salad and zucchini.

At first I totally hated doing the low carb days, but after about the 3rd or 4th day I stopped hating it so much. Now it really doesn't bother me at all.

Good luck!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Simple. Don't eat bread or grains.

It's not possible to get zero carbohydrates and still eat the things you need to eat. If you eliminate, or drastically reduce, your grain intake, you will be eating a low carb diet by default.

I'm not here to talk about whether or not I AGREE with going on a low carb diet, but I rarely eat bread/grains and I don't feel the need to cut vegetables or yogurt in order to get my carbs lower. I would never suggest cutting out vegetables (besides limiting potatoes, which are not very nutritionally important) for the carb intake.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Where are your carbs coming from? Look at those foods and try to limit or substitute for them. Also, if you are hitting your protein, you must be way under on fat. Try to limit/ eliminate no fat diet foods since they often have more sugar to compensate for the lost fat. Instead try healthy fats to make you feel more full at each meal. Concentrate on hitting your protein and fat numbers and don't worry about the carbs. If the other 2 fall in line and you hit your calories, the carbs will naturally follow.
  • Getskinny80
    Options
    It's super hard especially starting out. Here is a list of non-starchy carbs:
    • Asparagus
    • Baby corn
    • Beans (green, wax, Italian)
    • Bean sprouts
    • Broccoli
    • Brussels sprouts
    • Carrots
    • Celery
    • Cucumber
    • Eggplant
    • Greens (collard, kale, mustard, turnip)
    • Mushrooms
    • Pea pods
    • Peppers
    • Salad greens (chicory, endive, escarole, lettuce, romaine, spinach, arugula, radicchio, watercress)
    • Tomato
    AVOID: BREAD, DAIRY, SWEETS, FRUIT, AND STARCH CARBS (POTATOS)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I eat under 25g of carbs two days a week at the moment

Do you mind if I ask why you are low-carbing for two days a week? What kind of results do you have from this?
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I cut out all processed carbs, and I feel so much better. I still eat fruit and veggies, lots of eggs, pork, chicken, ground turkey. Very little bread/crackers/pretzels. Only when I'm super sick and it's the only thing I can handle. Sometimes I'll have oatmeal in the morning, but that's rare.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Cut out the grains and sugar, lots of veggies and yummy fats (saturated fats, omega-3's - not the omega-6-laden vegetable oils!) and protein. Eggs and bacon or sausage for breakfast usually, salad for lunch, meat & veggies for dinner (sometimes leftovers from dinner for lunch).

I use coconut milk or coconut oil in my coffee. The coconut milk I have now (I switch up brands depending on what's on sale/what's available) has only 1 carb per 1 cup (unsweetened, not flavored, and I only use maybe a quarter cup).

If you aren't eating rice, potatoes, pasta, or bread - how are you getting so many carbs?? 170 is a lot if you aren't consuming these foods, much less more than that. If you are eating a lot of sugar or fruit, cut that down. Same with sugary drinks (juices, sodas, etc). I still occasionally eat rice and sweet potatoes and bananas, and get in the 100-150 range (though I'm lowering that again now, as my activity level has decreased where I don't need that much).

Also, be careful lowering your sodium. When you detox off the carbs, you'll lose water weight - but the water also takes electrolytes with it. http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/tips-tricks-for-starting-or-restarting-low-carb-pt-ii/
    But at 170g of carbs, you might not have an issue with this - but if you cut them further, keep this in mind.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    MVFN - meat veg fish nuts
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You can't get under 170g ?!?!?!

I am a dude and I don't even go over 100g, and I couldn't hit 170g if I tried!

You are just eating the wrong foods. If you are eating the right stuff you shouldn't even need to track that.
    Meat, veggies, eggs, whole milk (the lower the fat, the more the carbs) and cream... the rest is fruit and nuts. Eat that and you won't have a problem at all. I promise you, you will get lean and tone. And your body will be happy because you will be getting GOOD fat that you have probably been depriving yourself of.
  • tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    my favorite thing to eat is cheese eggs and bacon!!!!! yummy!!!!!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    my favorite thing to eat is cheese eggs and bacon!!!!! yummy!!!!!

:love:
  • only_5mom
    only_5mom Posts: 28
    Options
    Most low carb programs suggest you go nearly cold turkey on them at first, eating meats, eggs, cheese and green leafy veggies. This is gruesome, but it gets you past the cravings if you can take it for 3 or 4 days. Then add the good carbs (starting with nuts, other veggies and then berries) and slowly back in until you reach the amount that you can tolerate without gaining weight. Like others have said, kiss the bread, pasta and potatoes good bye! BTW- A good replacement for milk with low carbs is almond milk. I really like Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Coconut Milk, especially in a protein shake. It has only 1 gram of carb per cup. Make sure you drink a lot of water! For the frappes use the almond milk and a chocolate or vanilla protein powder added to coffee. Add ice and whirr it in your blender. I put heavy cream and/or almond milk and xylitol in a flavored coffee as a sub for a latte, pretty yummy!
  • ms_sparky
    ms_sparky Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know where your carbs are coming from because we can't see your food diary. The key for me was knowing where my carbs were hiding. Carrots for example are tricky...baby carrots are higher in sugar (carbs) than big carrots. Pretty much anything that glazes or becomes sweeter when you heat it is a clue that it's likely higher in sugar.

I'm not sure why you would want to go "lower carb" only two days a week. You're sending mixed signals to your body. Being consistent with your food choices will help your body run more efficiently.

Protein is important. It will help you to not be hungry.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    interesting stuff here!! bumping for later!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: