bananas good or bad for weightloss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    If they fit into your calories for the day, neither good nor bad. I avoid them as they are quite calorie dense and not very filling weight for weight.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana a day. I like the potassium and the fiber. I'll deal with the sugar and carbs to get the other two items. They are filling and sustain me through lunch or are great after a run.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a banana and date smoothie right now as i write this. BANANAS ARE AWESOME!!!!!! I have bananas almost every day, and i have since i started my weight loss. It's better to eat bananas and have enough carbs to be satiated than to sit around all day craving. They are the perfect take along food in the morning, too. Running late? Grab a pile of bananas and eat them later. Don't like littering? Bananas come with their own little wrapper that is biodegradable and can be thrown anywhere. Nature's perfect breakfast food.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Bananas have lots of good things in them. Like fiber, potassium and vitamins. As you notes, they are very high in carbs, and according to the chart, they don't help you feel as full. That said, they are awesome to help with cramping from exercising. I eat one a day.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one per day, and if i have a 2nd it's in a smoothie.

So far I am just ignoring the 3rd eye that has sprouted in my forehead and the 6th toe that doesn't fit right in my shoe......
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I eat a frozen banana (with a little coconut) instead of ice cream everyday. Super satisfying.

If they fit into your macros, I don't see an issue with them.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others: It doesn't matter what you eat so long as it fits your macros. Personally I wouldn't want to eat three a day but that's just me.
  • southernpurplevegan
    southernpurplevegan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Neither, calories then macronutrients matter, the actual sources matter little. So if you are getting in adequate protein and fats every day and can maintain a calorie deficit while eating the bananas, then go for it

Plus they make for some radical smoothies!

Couldn't agree more.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every day before I work out, they're the perfect snack for me! As long as your calories/macros are in check, eat them bananas. At least it's not 2 or 3 candy bars or bags of chips per day!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Bananas are food, they aren't inherently good or bad. They have no magical properties that will make you suddenly gain or lose weight.
    If you like them and you're eating a varied diet and they fit into your calories and macros, I don't see a problem.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I always eat one before I do any type of cadio because of the energy it supplies me before hand
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good. I personally limit bananas and choose berries or melons because bananas are very calorie dense compared to other fruits, and they do bind you.

But ... bananas are very yummy in protein shakes, and nothing beats a peanut butter and banana sammie!
  • kimkim1123
    kimkim1123 Posts: 20
    Options
    Maybe you could try not eating bananas for a week or two, then reintroduce them. That should give you an idea if they are hampering your weight loss or not.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good for you in that they have vitamins and minerals and they are one of the fruits that have a 1:1 ratio of glucose to fructose. Your muscles will use glucose to refuel glycogen stores… but your muscles have no use for fructose. This makes bananas a great post-workout snack (along with a protein shake).

Three a day does sound excessive though. I’m not an expert, but these bananas are pushing your carbs over your limit, you may want to limit them.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Banana + peanut butter = awesome, filling, and nutritious.

^^^^This. I want some right now. But can't eat too often because I'm a bonafide peanut butter addict.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    EVIL !!!!!

a.aaa-banana-art.jpg
    (not really)

Labeling things as "good" or "bad" without context is nonsense.

I love me some banana puddin..

SCOTS FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx8EujvMmSM
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I love bananas and usually eat at least 1 or 2 every day. Assuming you're staying withing your total calories I don't see a problem.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I love bananas and usually eat at least 1 or 2 every day. Assuming you're staying withing your total calories I don't see a problem.

I agree with Brian and others that stated this. The other comment is thier micro nutrient content is good with potassium. I eat them!
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options

I agree with Brian and others that stated this. The other comment is thier micro nutrient content is good with potassium. I eat them!

I agree too. And there is no denying that bananas are delicious... to me they taste as good as any of my treat foods but they have a better nutrient content. Bonus. I had peanut butter and banana on toast for dessert last night and my goodness it was satisfying and worth every, single calorie. Life is about enjoyment, so you can't always let the calorie content get in the way of good food.

Regardless, there are other food that are quite high in calories that I eat all the time because of their nutritional benefits (and also because they taste good) such as nuts.
  • hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a nutrient & fiber dense, low calorie food with a low glycemic index. As such, they are generally "good for you" and should not hamper weight loss, assuming everything else is in line (overall calorie intake, exercise, nutrients, etc).

A couple of posters suggested that bananas are a "binding agent" or cause constipation. This is largely a myth (unless you are eating them green).

Ripe bananas are high in fiber, and "...have the opposite effect [from constipation], particularly for those who consume them in excess, due to their high content of fiber and natural sugar" (1)

"Bananas are high in dietary fiber, which makes you feel fuller longer so you won't overeat" (2)

"Aside from its many nutrients and convenient packaging, bananas also have a low glycemic index, which can help you with weight loss...The Glycemic Index Foundation's website lists ripe yellow bananas with a glycemic index of 51 --- a low value on a scale where anything above 70 is considered high and anything under 55 is low." (2)

Read more:

(1) http://www.livestrong.com/article/496103-do-bananas-give-you-gas-or-constipation/

(2) http://www.livestrong.com/article/278737-why-are-bananas-good-for-weight-loss/