Diet vs Exercise

Options
Hi all - in your opinion, which is more important in your weight loss journey - Diet or Exercise - and why?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Hi all - in your opinion, which is more important in your weight loss journey - Diet or Exercise - and why?
    They are both EQUALLY important. But realistically if you're just trying to lose weight, diet alone can do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • desireedare
    Options
    Both are super important. You cant do one without the other.... if you just diet, you're losing fat AND muscle... the more muscle you have... the more calories you burn when you're not doing anything (sleeping, sitting on the couch, driving, etc). The only way to build muscle is with a strength training program!! If you just exercise and don't care about your diet... you're most likely not feeding your body correctly.. so you may not benefit from the exercise that you're doing as much as you could. both are equally important... and being healthy is a lifetime commitment, so you need to do both!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I've done both.

I ran without paying attention to what I ate. I got slightly slimmer/trimmer but didn't lose much weight.

I "dieted" without working out. I lost weight but just was a smaller version of me...no muscle tone...it wasn' t very pretty.

Neither one is as effective as when I do them together.

When I put both together, I look great and feel great and my body is strong and defined. Not to mention I feel like I can conquer the world "Raawwrrr"!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me, it was definitely exercise. I made very few changes to my diet, as I already ate healthy and I've never been a binge eater. But I had gotten out of the habit of exercising regularly (as in I was doing it about 1-2 a month!!) and that caused me to put on some weight.

So, I started exercising regularly (nearly every day) again and got back to my healthy weight.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am in the both camp. Adjusting your diet, watching your calories & what your put into your body, tracking EVERYTHING on MFP is super important. And, you will lose weight. But exercise, no matter what you do, will help you feel better, burn even more calories, and allow you to see results better. Here's the thing, you don't have to be a gym rat to get exercise. Take walks around the block, do push ups/sit ups. Stretch, yoga, resistance bands. Hell, even get a fitness game for your Wii or xbox. Just do something and balance it with a healthy diet and you will be better off in a month than you are now.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Both are important but as said you can lose weight without exercising. I saw a recent post that put it this way

Lose weight = look good in clothes

Exercise = look good naked

Seeing it put in such simple terms (that I had never thought of) made it simple to understand the importance of both.
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I've just had a month of enforced rest due to carpal tunnel surgery and I've pretty much stayed the same weight by watching my diet. Hoping when I get back into training the last half stone will drop off me. I've been on a plateau since October! Actually maybe my scales are stuck?! I hadn't lost for months then i do no exercise and still stay the same. There is no logic in this journey for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Diet to get to my goal

Exercise to maintain my goal (yes, I know that is diet too .... but exercise has to be life long to give me the extra cushion).
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Ignore anyone who says exercise is important. It's not. Diet is exponentially more important. Your calorie burn from exercise is a fraction of what your body burns just from existing. So the idea that exercise is somehow equally important as diet is pure and utter nonsense. Vast majority of people here will find it impossible to do any meaningful exercise that will really change their caloric demands.

That said, for body recomp and health exercise is critical. But thats different than weight loss now isn't it...

Also to note, once you get good at exercise, then you can start to out exercise your diet. When I actively tried to gain weight, it was sickening how much I had to eat as my metabolism was just on fire from how much I could lift. Eating 5000 calories a day with mostly healthy foods takes an impact, but thats what I had to do to gain weight. Hell, I was losing weight on 3000 a day, and thats just from 7 hours a week lifting weights. So at a certain level exercise starts to make a big difference, but issue is most people just can't get to that level.

Think of it this way, your body burns .8-3 calories a minute just from being alive. Exercise can add to that a bit, but the bulk is just from existing. It's far easier spending seconds monitoring what goes into your body, than hours upon hours trying to work off what's already in. Diet far more important.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have exercised w/o dieting ,

and I have dieted w/o exercise.

Neither lasted long term.

Together with healthy eating and regular exercise, I have maintained a 45 lb weight loss for almost 5 years now.
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, both are important.

I used to think diet alone was enough.. (this was before MFP) and I would never stick with it. I find that when I exercise, I want to eat less not only because exercise will actually diminish appetite, but I don't want to give up my hard work.
  • mirandadeb
    Options
    Diet and exercise are both equally important because they work together. A good way to loose weight is to have the right balance of both. Be consistent with your workouts (cardio is the best for getting rid of belly fat) and to cut out foods with a lot of unhealthy ingredients like fast foods, junk foods, and sodas.
    I hope this helps. Good Luck!:happy:
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    weight loss - diet
    exercise - fitness
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would say diet and nutrition are more important simply because no matter how much you exercise, you can screw it all up by eating improperly.

Some research shows that exercise alone is nearly ineffective for weight loss.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health

Now clearly I'm not suggesting that exercise is bad as there are many other benefits beyond weight loss.