Lowering carbs - really tough. How do u do it?'

Options
13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am attempting the 'slow-carb' diet. I am supposed to eat beans/lentils with each meal. I have noticed that they have a lot of carbs in them so I guess I'm confused. Maybe that's the difference between 'low-carb' and 'slow-carb'?
    I'm pretty "slow carb". Beans do have a lot, but they are pretty slow.
    My favorite bean, however, is black soybeans. Awesome protein, and super low carbs (8 or 9).
  • rcm1973
    rcm1973 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Instead of not eating or lowering carbs, why not just cut out processed carbs?

Edited to add: the whole grain stuff has less sugar and refined carbs, so you'll still lose weight.

^^^ This. It's all about the GLYCEMIC INDEX.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Is your skinny latte one of those fat free but loaded w/ sugar options? I ask b/c I have a hard time believing that whole milk is the main culprit causing you to go over 170 grams of carbs per day.

Focus on eating real food. No more overly processed carbs like chips, pretzels, etc. And you especially shouldn't be snacking on any sort of processed carb. Ditch any drinks with sugar. And don't replace them with diet soda. Drink water, tea, or coffee instead.

Great advise.
    Eat a lot of protein to fill you up. Try Green yogurt with fruit for breakfast. Instead of starches with meal have lots of veggies. Limit toast to a couple of slices a day (rye or wholewheat).
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Most low carb programs suggest you go nearly cold turkey on them at first, eating meats, eggs, cheese and green leafy veggies. This is gruesome, but it gets you past the cravings if you can take it for 3 or 4 days. Then add the good carbs (starting with nuts, other veggies and then berries) and slowly back in until you reach the amount that you can tolerate without gaining weight. Like others have said, kiss the bread, pasta and potatoes good bye!

Yes this worked for me. It's very hard for the first couple of weeks then after you get past the carb and sugar craving you are all set! That's when you re-introduce healthy foods back in reasonable portions.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've cut milk out of my diet, except for the days I visit my mom, and she makes me a skim milk cappuccino....

Almond Milk, the unsweetened kind, has 40-45 cals per 1 cup. With coffee, I use 1/2 cup and then add some hot water (like a Americano Misto at Starbucks).

Way less carbs and calories in Almond milk, and doesn't create the bloat that Milk does (for me at least)
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Are you maintaining a caloric deficit?

Are you consuming at least 1g of protein for each gram of LBM?

Are you consuming at least .4g of fat for each gram of LBM (including a good portion of omega-3)?

If you answered "yes" to all of the above, then there's absolutely no need to worry about lowering your carbs.

It's all about the GLYCEMIC INDEX.

No it isn't.
  • Jill1249
    Jill1249 Posts: 11
    Options
    I love carbs, but my body hates them. Since I feel like I have to have bread, I have found a low carb (5g) tortilla. For lunch, I have been making nachos with fat free cheese on them. That's only 10 carbs for lunch. I am also eating Atkins bars (net 3 g) for my sweet tooth. Just saying, there ARE ways to cut carbs!!!!!!:wink::wink: