Paleo Diet... yes.. no..

Options
Aross83
Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
Hi All,
I was doing some research on the Paleo diet. I would like to hear from people who are on it or have tried it.
what do you like about it and what dont you like about it..

Replies

• shaedreams
    shaedreams Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this slowly but surely. I am starting out with baby steps and so far, so good! I try to eat as clean as possible, although I am not 100% yet. I have a few friends who eat Paleo and feel great and look great too! It's natural so it's not bad for you. I say try it and see if it's the right choice for you.
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    There are several paleo groups on this message board where you can get information from a lot of people who are eating some/ mostly / completely paleo. Just search in groups for paleo.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it can be bad for you as long as you're paying attention to what you're eating and make sure to get all the nutrients necessary to function.

I also don't necessarily agree with the idea behind it...not that it's bad...it just seems that most of the people who do it are doing it because "that's what our ancestors ate thousands of years ago"...

It's perfectly reasonable that our bodies would adapt and evolve to benefit from other foods (like grains) over time.
  • robichek
    robichek Posts: 2
    Options
    Just want to say that I went Paleo a few weeks ago and I disagree with the comment that people who do it are doing it because "that's what our ancestors ate thousands of years ago". It's also not very reasonable that our bodies "evolve" in 10,000 years. Evolution is not that fast. The jump in obesity in the last 100 years alone proves that our bodies can't handle what our society develops. Our bodies respond best to a more primal way of eating, it's not some sort of ode to our ancestors. I honestly didn't think this was true, but just the last few weeks alone are proving it to me.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Just want to say that I went Paleo a few weeks ago and I disagree with the comment that people who do it are doing it because "that's what our ancestors ate thousands of years ago". It's also not very reasonable that our bodies "evolve" in 10,000 years. Evolution is not that fast. The jump in obesity in the last 100 years alone proves that our bodies can't handle what our society develops. Our bodies respond best to a more primal way of eating, it's not some sort of ode to our ancestors. I honestly didn't think this was true, but just the last few weeks alone are proving it to me.

10,000 years ago? Homo Erectus was more like 1.5 million years ago (unless you don't believe in...you know...science). So yes...there's been plenty of time to evolve.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options

10,000 years ago? Homo Erectus was more like 1.5 million years ago (unless you don't believe in...you know...science). So yes...there's been plenty of time to evolve.

I do believe she meant since the advent of agriculture.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Paleo diet is flawed, the majority of what people seem to eat on that diet never existed back then anyway. BRB eating paleo cookies, brownies.
  • lukeout007
    Options

I do believe she meant since the advent of agriculture.

This is going way off topic and we'll probably be told to knock it off...but you're saying that despite the fact that humans (or some evolutionary form of human) has been around for millions of years...agriculture is only 10,000 years old? Unlikely.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    The most important aspect to choosing a "diet", is are you going to be able to eat like this forever? If Paleo sounds sustainable, then from what I can tell it is healthy and not some crazy fad. If I thought I could live without grains I would do it too.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    The most important aspect to choosing a "diet", is are you going to be able to eat like this forever? If Paleo sounds sustainable, then from what I can tell it is healthy and not some crazy fad. If I thought I could live without grains I would do it too.

That's a good point.

Honestly the thought of living without bread, pasta, etc. isn't enticing to me. I do think however that cutting down on those things can be beneficial. I don't eat nearly as much bread as I used to. The occasional sandwich but thats about it.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You'll want to view it more as a lifestyle. My brother has been doing it for years and he encouraged me to give it a try.

I won't get into the theories or rationale behind it, that's already been hashed out elsewhere and there are many resources on the web for people to do their own research.

I went completely strict for 30 days to get an idea of what foods are irritating to me by slowly experimenting and adding things back in. I dicovered that I am in fact sensitive to many grains, something I wouldn't have realized without giving it a try. When I "cheat" I have a whole host of problems for a day or two and I'm encouraged to keep with it, you begin to decide whether junk is really worth it.

Here is some of what we've experienced
    - Less to no cravings for sweets and junk
    - IBS symptoms improved or gone
    - No more afternoon crashes
    - Feeling satiated
    - Drop in BF%
    - Real food tasting better
    - Surprisingly easy to go wothout the breads and pastas, I thought this would be the hardest part, but again, cravings go away quickly.

My problem with strict paleo long term is that it is difficult to get my calories up high enough without eating when I'm not hungry. I have been eating cheese and some yogurt again since about March which helps get calories up, but no more milk. Even the cheese and yogurt sometimes triggers IBS, so I'm working on limiting that.

I've also been playing with adding oats in, so far so good. My brother also does this to help fuel his intense workouts and meet calories. It's not paleo but it hasn't bothered either of us like gluten does and some adaptions need to be made for athletes.

This may all be more info than you need... but it's been a very positive experience for me. I'll stick with it long term as a lifestyle, not a diet, but not beat myself up when I "fall of the paleo/primal wagon" All you can do is give it a try and see for yourself if you think it's doable. Just remember that it can be very nutritious and healthy.
  • darlingkaya
    Options
    I feel like if i cut out the flour and stuff i dont need to go paleo... although fruit and wheat kinda makes me crave it more when i eat it... i just stick with oats and fruit and just try to make it fit in my macros != )

i mean i dont want to have to cut out FRUIT as my treats... i eat fresh dates rolled up in coconut all the time as treats and dont feel like i should have to cut that out when im eating clean :D
  • MonaMel01
    MonaMel01 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm relatively new at doing Paleo, and although I'm not a strict fanatic (eating only organic fruits/veggies and meats), I have lost 20 pounds in 3 months while on the diet.

I have had a few 'cheat' days which have helped to stay on the path, but it's been very easy for me to do Paleo.

My frustration was that although I am very active, I was not losing any weight. I play tennis 2-3 days a week, travel a lot for tennis tournaments and hit the gym when i'm in town. None of that was having any affect on the scale.

It's an easy plan and I don't consider it a 'diet' because it's been so easy to adjust what i've been eating. Like anything, you will have some cravings, but it's getting easier and easier to resist those temptations.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    strict paleo is very restrictive - many will not even eat fruit or nuts.

I've always enjoyed my wine and cheese. I gave up bread & pasta, but will have a cheat occasionally. When I do, as a previous poster mentioned, I too suffer for a day or two after: inflamed joints, bloat and light case of IBS.

I eat some grains - quinoa, hemp, buckwheat (skinny b cereal in my yogurt).

when I went strict for 40 days I lost 6 pounds, all while increasing my strength (I crossfit and set new PR's on all my lifts), but I was miserable because aI missed drinking and i missed my dairy.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This is going way off topic and we'll probably be told to knock it off...but you're saying that despite the fact that humans (or some evolutionary form of human) has been around for millions of years...agriculture is only 10,000 years old? Unlikely.

Uhm, I'm trying really hard to hold back some snarky remarks right now. Do some research instead of pretending to know what you're talking about.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The increase in obesity has much more to do with increasingly sedentary lifestyle, not eating grains. People are eating more food than 100 years ago. 100 years ago the vast majority of Americans were farmers. Today the vast majority of Americans spend all day sitting in a cubicle. All it takes is a little critical thinking to realize that eating more food, while spending much less time being active, leads to obesity.

As for the Paleo Diet, it's a personal preference. Personally, I believe any diet that's based on eliminating entire food sources is silly, whether it's grains, legumes, meat, or fats.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think there are good aspects to the diet. Specifically, striving to eat whole and minimally processed foods is a great idea. I don't think that idea should be an all-or-nothing endeavor, but it's a good principle to learn.

But, I'm not big on food elimination and I don't think there's ample evidence to support the restrictions on the paleo diet.

Lastly, I agree 100% with tigersword, below:
    The increase in obesity has much more to do with increasingly sedentary lifestyle, not eating grains. People are eating more food than 100 years ago. 100 years ago the vast majority of Americans were farmers. Today the vast majority of Americans spend all day sitting in a cubicle. All it takes is a little critical thinking to realize that eating more food, while spending much less time being active, leads to obesity.

As for the Paleo Diet, it's a personal preference. Personally, I believe any diet that's based on eliminating entire food sources is silly, whether it's grains, legumes, meat, or fats.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    strict paleo is very restrictive - many will not even eat fruit or nuts.
    I don't think there is anything paleo about not eating fruits or nuts, but they may not eat them every day.
    Uhm, I'm trying really hard to hold back some snarky remarks right now. Do some research instead of pretending to know what you're talking about.
    Indeed.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just hate it being called the diet of our ancestors... then i go look at these peoples diaries. Olive oils, exotic fruits and veggies, nut flours etc. Yeah our ancestors had access to that ****.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Olive oils, exotic fruits and veggies, nut flours etc. Yeah our ancestors had access to that ****.
    It just depends on how strictly you take it. I like the idea of going in that direction, eating fewer processed foods, less breads, chips, sweets, etc...Many people may feel the same.

If we were going to be really strict we would all eat food we foraged in our backyard along with meat and be done, but I don't think most people want to go that far. That doesn't mean they aren't at least trying to get closer to what we ate prior to agriculture.