happier chubby?

Options
Do any of you feel like you were happier in general before you started this journey? Now those that drop weight easily and quickly probably won't understand but for those of you that hit a plateau or struggle to lose it might get me.

I am 180lbs and size 14. That is definitely overweight I won't deny. Am I happy at that weight....absolutely not but I am so sick of counting calories while friends don't, about worrying because I enjoyed a few too many cocktails at a party and then feeling horribly guilty the next day because I know that scale isn't going to move. I'm sick of getting annoyed when I can't fit in a workout and getting annoyed when I put things off to workout and it doesn't change a thing. I haven't even lost an ounce in 3 months so the gung ho attitude I had before I've lost :( I was actually happier when I was chubby and unaware of it all. I mean I always wanted to lose weight but I didn't look at myself with disgust as I do now. My entire day revolves around what I'm eating or planning to eat or just ate. I'm SICK of food! It's running my life now more than it was before! Anyone felt this way before? Did you get past it?

Replies

• mogolo
    mogolo Posts: 30
    Options
    "I haven't even lost an ounce in 3 months"

Before you ask people that question maybe you should find answers to why you havent lost any weight in 3 months.

Have you lost inches? if not you should figure out why. 3 months of dieting or eatting healthier and workouts even just walking you will lose weight, you may hit a wall or two in that time but you will lose something.
  • MrsDrake678
    MrsDrake678 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14lbs since the beginning of my journey but have not lost anything in the last 3 months. Guess that sounded like I've only been doing this for 3 months and haven't lost anything. Either way, my frustration isn't with that necessarily it's with the entire process. I haven't given up just looking to see if anyone has felt like I do at the moment or if I'm all by myself on this one.
  • rando348
    rando348 Posts: 22
    Options
    counting calories sucks and you might have to be somewhat conscience of it for the rest of you life but look at the positives of having less weight and just being healthy. Just off the top of my head

1. Being able to walk up a flight of stairs and not huff n puff
    2. Better skin. You'll age better by not eating ****.
    3. Being able to walk on your own in 20 years rather than drive around on a f'in rascal scooter
    4. Better sex life
    5. Looking better for you own damn self and your partner as well
    6. Feeling better in general
    7. Reducing your risk of dying from heart disease, diabetes, and all that other stuff that goes with being overweight
    8. Better sex life yes this is stated twice because yeah you get the idea

If you google this topic of healthy weight vs overweight you'll find alot more. Yeah counting calories sucks. Working out sucks at first but soon it will become second nature like brushing your teeth. You'll feel weird if you didn't do some sort of exercise.

So yeah maybe you thought you were happier chubby. Maybe you were but you just need to keep the big picture in mind. There's more to life than cake and cookies :) Good luck and figure out why you haven't made any progress in 3 months. You are doing something wrong.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a person just needs to vent!! Let it out girl, and everyone has felt this way at some point. You will find your stride again until then go ahead and feel frusterated, you earned that. Its an individual personal journey and when your happy with where you are then go ahead and be happy.. Life is too short to hate on yourself.
  • ccguillory
    ccguillory Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes and no.. I wasn't happier with my physical weight, but I reacted happy because I didn't address my feelings. I stuffed them with food.

Now that I am doing things for me I have to face things that make me angry, sad, frustrated and uncomfortable and that is happening more often even with my family..lol but then I feel guilty.. but I think I am understanding the term "Skinny *****es" because they are facing their problems not stuffing it down.

:) But I am working on me and just keep positive. You are doing great and we will all get to a place of happiness :)
  • pheonixdown
    Options

1. Being able to walk up a flight of stairs and not huff n puff
    2. Better skin. You'll age better by not eating ****.
    3. Being able to walk on your own in 20 years rather than drive around on a f'in rascal scooter
    4. Better sex life
    5. Looking better for you own damn self and your partner as well
    6. Feeling better in general
    7. Reducing your risk of dying from heart disease, diabetes, and all that other stuff that goes with being overweight
    8. Better sex life yes this is stated twice because yeah you get the idea

This. ALL of this, and I think, "Well, while being chubby I'm happy for a while, but only when I'm stuffing my face or doing some other obsessive thing. That's no way to live."

I'm around the same weight as you, too, and I've recently gone through a few bad days and haven't been keeping count, but you just keep going. Not giving up, just because I'm unhappy for a short while, will leave me happier in the long run.

I know this, you know this, and we CAN do this. :happy:
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    For me, what finally stopped all that kind of thinking was taking myself out of the equation. I realized that my thoughts and feelings have no real effect on what happens with my weight. If I eat a bunch of pizza, feeling guilty about it isn't going to make me lose weight. If I spend all day stressing about food, I'm not going to be more successful.

Eating too much isn't bad and eating healthy things isn't good; they simply lead to different effects. If I eat 3000 calories in a day, I haven't done anything wrong, but I know I'm probably not going to lose as much weight that week. If I eat lots of vegetables instead, I'll probably see a drop in the number on the scale. It's just cause and effect. Neither one says anything about me as a person.

This perspective has been indispensable in my success. I've stumbled a few times and quickly regained 10-15 pounds (each time). In the past, that would have been enough for me to say, "I'm a screwup and I'll never be able to do this, so I'm giving up." But now, I turn right back around within a few days and that weight comes back off, all because I don't feel bad about it. I just say, "Okay, now I know the effect this food/behavior has on my weight. So now I'm going to switch to the stuff I know does the opposite."
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    For me, what finally stopped all that kind of thinking was taking myself out of the equation. I realized that my thoughts and feelings have no real effect on what happens with my weight. If I eat a bunch of pizza, feeling guilty about it isn't going to make me lose weight. If I spend all day stressing about food, I'm not going to be more successful.

Eating too much isn't bad and eating healthy things isn't good; they simply lead to different effects. If I eat 3000 calories in a day, I haven't done anything wrong, but I know I'm probably not going to lose as much weight that week. If I eat lots of vegetables instead, I'll probably see a drop in the number on the scale. It's just cause and effect. Neither one says anything about me as a person.

This perspective has been indispensable in my success. I've stumbled a few times and quickly regained 10-15 pounds (each time). In the past, that would have been enough for me to say, "I'm a screwup and I'll never be able to do this, so I'm giving up." But now, I turn right back around within a few days and that weight comes back off, all because I don't feel bad about it. I just say, "Okay, now I know the effect this food/behavior has on my weight. So now I'm going to switch to the stuff I know does the opposite."

^^^This is excellent advice! :)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should skip the scale...and use a measuring tape!! Don't count calories just eat healthy! Nothing processed, pre-made, or fast food, no junk food, soda. Drink lots of water ...the weight would come off!
  • MSmooth747
    MSmooth747 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was happier when i didnt know anything. I just try to find other things that make me happy and do that. Like instead of going out to eat with friends, i'll go bowling instead. doing other things that made happy helped with those feelings and made it easier to get on to the next day. Aslo sometimes you just got to put your head down and just keep doing it.
  • heatherc5
    heatherc5 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know what you mean. It is hard to measure every single thing you eat through out the day. It is so time consuming and at times frustrating. I watch people that are thin order giant carmel frappacinos and I wonder how are they doing this? On the other hand I think I like the control, I know that I am unhappy with my weight and I am proud of myself for finally doing something about it. Even if I go over my calories I feel like I am still learning to eat healthier. I also enjoy the flexibility of counting calories instead of doing something like slim fast which isnt filling, I like the taste of actual food. Don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck on your journey.
  • adimeadance
    adimeadance Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A quote that keeps me going: Don't let what you want right now affect what you could have in the future.

Was I happier when I wasn't counting calories and when I ate whatever I wanted without worrying about the consequences? Maybe... I certainly enjoyed my social life more. But do I believe that when I finally get to my target weight I'll be happier than when I felt like a whale because I CHOSE to be oblivious about my food and exercise choices? Heck yes. Parts of this journey are going to be frustrating, but the end result will be well worth it. I think most people trying to live a healthier life/ lose weight have experienced what you're describing. I know I have. I'm convinced the difference between people who have been successful with this goal and those that have not is the ability to push through tough moments and keep an eye on the prize. 3 months is a long plateau (although I've heard of longer). Maybe re-evaluate your methods and try something new. Mixing it up could give you the results you're looking for. And if all else fails, set your calories to maintainence and take a mental break. It sounds like it would be well deserved.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying. But I have noticed as least with me, I still go out, I still eat at restaurants, and I just make better choices. I do go over my cals, especially lately with the onslaught of pool parties, but instead of saying yes to a piece of chicken and a hamburger, I'll eat only the chicken. Instead of turning to a bag of chips, I'll get a glass of water. Those simple choices allow me to go out and have a good time without having to stress about my eating.

how does the saying go? "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels"
  • sheppuh
    sheppuh Posts: 39
    Options
    Counting calories isn't fun. It's a pain in the butt and it's awkward being the person who won't eat what everyone else is eating or won't drink that much. But for me the instant gratification behaviors of stuffing myself (when I was a big fatty) only resulted in shame and guilt for much longer than the great taste lasted. For me, ultimately, my desire to change is greater than the awkwardness, the annoyance, and the frustration I experience. A quotation that I repeat to myself a lot when I'm out with friends and they're drinking and eating delicious tasty tasty greasy foods (sweet jesus I miss them) is "Suffer the pain of discipline so you don't have to endure the agony of regret." I have no idea who it's by, but it reminds me that what I'm doing is for the big picture and that I'm not a child anymore - sometimes happiness means a little bit of deprivation.

As for working out, it's been said by other people already. I hated it at first too but now I just don't feel right without a good long sweat!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Please note: I'm starting out lighter than you, but realize that I also had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and was diabetic at that higher weight. Was I OK with my body image? Actually I was. I'm 42 yo and I carry weight well. I was not OK with how I felt though so I had to lose the weight again.

Pounds do not fly off me (though last few weeks they have been, go figure). I have been doing this since Mid-Feb (22 lbs in 18 1/2 weeks). Do I get sick of watching what I eat? Sometimes. But most of the time, not so much because I'm not obsessing. I watch what I eat and I meet my cal count every day but I'm not freaking over every little thing I put in my mouth.

**I try to concentrate more on enjoying what I am eating and less on regretting what I can't have.**

That being said, I also indulge. What do I indulge in?

Cocktails
    I drink 100 proof rum or vodka with crystal light or diet coke - and yes, I will bring my own when going to a friends house. No beer or wine. When out I order the same or skinny cocktails. And BTW, sugar free jello shooters are awesome, especially with apple vodka. Just thought I'd mention =)

Pizza
    Pizza Hut Chicken Supreme Thin and Crispy (232 cals a slice)

Eating out
    When I'm eating out I'll automatically accept the chicken or fish entree (not breaded) with veggies. Sometimes it's pretty high but usually it fits into my cals, especially on reward day (1000 cals a day per doc recommend)

Substitution
    I eat Special K chips instead of potato chips, lo cal dip instead of regular dip, sugar free pudding, frozen yogurt, tons of Redi-whip (I friggin' love this stuff). All of this makes me feel as though I'm not depriving myself. It's cool when the kids eat a candy bar. I just bring out my 90 cal chocolate peanut butter granola bar and munch away.

And I reward myself
    I have a reward day on Saturday or Sunday where I get 600 extra cals if I do everything right all week.

Stagnation
    Been there, it sucks. Don't have much advise there except what I did. I added a workout in the morning and that seems to have boosted everything in high drive. Not a big workout, just abs (180 crunches and 3 sets of 6" killers) and walking the dog but it seems to have really helped even though it only takes 20 minutes. I also boost my metabolism through the day with flex and releasing my muscles now and again, getting up from my chair and walking for a couple of minutes (also refreshes the mind), or walking down the stairs and then back up (also refreshes my mind).

I was losing .5 - 1 pound a week but recently pounds have been flying off. I think it's because I'm running now instead of walking and running gives more of a Net calorie burn (and makes my *kitten* and my calves hurt which means my muscles are still working after I'm done so I'm probably getting some afterburn).

Do not give up. You can do this.
  • MrsDrake678
    MrsDrake678 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I didn't really mean I was happier necessarily when I was chubby, I always wanted to lose the weight but I guess less stressed out would be a better way to put it. I'm back on the wagon!!