How do you fill up?

Options
Hello All...

I eat 3 main meals a day, but snack all day on fruits and veggies. I also drink a ton of water and very little pop or anything of that sort.
But I was wondering how yall stop that "I need to eat" feeling when you know you just put something into your body. I try to drink and drink the craving away... but It's still not stopping it completely.

Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've found that I stay full longer if my mid-day snacks include lots of protein. Greek yogurt, string cheese, almonds, and eggs seem to help keep me full.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try larger meals and no snacks.
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    More protein. Make sure every single snack has at least a little protein in it. Try a couple tablespoons of hummus with your fresh veggies and some greek yogurt with your fruits.
  • LivetoRun07
    LivetoRun07 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I feel like the hunger is all in my head (due to eating enough calories, or knowing I had a meal an hour ago, etc.) I will drink water or eat some low calorie fruits/vegetables. But like you said, that doesn't always stop it completely. When it doesn't and I have the opportunity to go work out or go for a walk/run, etc., I take the opportunity and usually afterwards I'm not hungry and just realized I was bored. If I am unable to go work out or go out for a walk I try to focus my attention on something else by reading or cleaning or anything to keep my mind off it!! Hope that helped a little.
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    for me if i have eaten and i still feel hungry i chew gum. i know im getting enough calories so i dont want to go over. Its getting better. when i first started trying to eat healthier and not whatever i saw it was hard. i felt hungry all the time.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I am eating the right amount of calories (many people eat too few). If I am really hungry then I will eat food.
  • ef21178
    ef21178 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of protein shakes. I eat one of those with my meal or just make sure my meal has a lot of protein and I'm usually good to go for quite a few hours.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    ooooh. I like the hummus idea for you! I live by string cheese as a snack around 3:30-4 pm. It stops me from eating a whole bag of chips when I get home before dinner.

After I eat, I chew mint flavored gum. I try to use it as the "sensory cut off" for eating or wanting more food.

Make sure to have a protein at lunch. Since there is only 2 of us at home, I make the previous night's dinner enough for 3. Then I can take the meat from the night before, and put it on a salad. Or I will bring tuna and put it on a salad, that works well too.

Gotta be honest, the morning protein shakes have been awesome. This morning I did 2 TBS of Chunky Peanut Butter, 1/2 cup frozen banana, milk, and yogurt, and 3 ice cubes. Ate that at 7 am. At 11:45, I wasn't even hungry, but I had to eat lunch anyways.

Hope this helps!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I wait until I get fuel perks then I fill up to save per gallon on gas.....oh wait sorry wrong type I feel up on healthy just portions of food, I don't over eat and I do not under eat.
  • mmottola12
    Options
    I find protein to be a huge help. My husband lost a ton of weight using a protein shake (Shaklee) and since I am not a breakfast eater but then would be so hungry mid morning I would over indulge on snacks that I now use these shakes and they fill me up until lunch and I am not starving!!! Because we had so much success, we had alot of friends and family ask what we were doing and have turned it into a home based business for this stay at home mom of 3. Here's my website: www.jmhealth.myshaklee.com. Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions.
  • LivetoRun07
    LivetoRun07 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I wait until I get fuel perks then I fill up to save per gallon on gas.....oh wait sorry wrong type I feel up on healthy just portions of food, I don't over eat and I do not under eat.

LOL! Me too!!!! And when that doesn't happen I just fork out the insane amount of money to fill up my car and grab a few tissues to wipe away my tears. Getting gas ruins my day.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Getting gas ruins my day.
    I know what you mean. I usually get it at night after a big dinner though!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options

LOL! Me too!!!! And when that doesn't happen I just fork out the insane amount of money to fill up my car and grab a few tissues to wipe away my tears. Getting gas ruins my day.

It doesn't really ruin my day it just makes me cringe unless I spot a hot girl at the pump and I forget about my gas worries...:blushing:
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and snacks in between meals and as soon as I get off work, I workout so I am not tempted to eat! lol
  • monadonalson
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing all the normal things I would have suggested (water, snacks...) So I have another idea.

OK, so this may sound crazy but I've noticed a huge difference in my "I need to eat something" cravings a couple of months or so ago when I began taking probiotic supplements. You can get them through your food (yogurt,etc) but I found that I needed an extra boost. I used to have those cravings before I began watching my food intake, and I was eating way more calories and volume than I do now. Now, when I'm eating less than before, I've only had that craving feeling once or twice. (it used to be a daily occurrence.)

It may sound strange for probiotics to have helped with that, but after some research I found that it makes sense. Those healthy bacteria help your body absorb the nutrients you're putting into your body. So, if they're aren't there, it sounds like our bodies may not be absorbing a good portion of what we put into it.

At first, I wasn't sure probiotics would make a difference, so I just bought the cheap ones at CostCo for $18 per box. Even though it was an inexpensive brand, they claim to contain millions of good bacteria, and seem to have made a big difference in my life.

I don't know if this helps, but if you aren't taking them, it might be worth a shot.

Hope this helps in some way. :smile:
    Mona
  • Person192
    Person192 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink tea and that helps.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try some of these things and see if it changes! :)
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    Definitely lots of water, or flavored water, especially if I'm craving soda. Also, like others have said, protein based foods help keep me full longer. Whether it be a protein shake or a protein bar, and I also like to snack on string cheese. :)
  • latinlady435
    latinlady435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas :)
  • sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I drink so much water, protein smoothie, and have several small meals/snacks a day. Most aren't bigger than the smallest plate. I make sure to get protein and 50-400 calories each. I love string cheese, Greek yogurt, a few nuts with fruit, and hummus.
    If I am still hungry and I chew gum or go for a jog. I also read or clean when this feeling won't go away.