3rd and 4th week not seeing any changes? What gives?

Options
Hey everyone!

Im just curious if anyone can help me out with this.

Ive been seeing a slow down in my weight loss the last two weeks, no idea what is going on. I do 30 Day Shred everyday (Im on level 3 now and finished on the 18th, only 4 more days till done), Im eating between 1200-1400 calories, sometimes 1500, I make sure to fluctuate it, pretty good with all my levels (sodium and sugar I go over SOMETIMES), do an additional cardio kickboxing for 20 minutes (total of 40 minutes of exercise a day).

I have no idea what Im doing wrong. Im thinking its most likely my diet?

Ive had some people tell me to up my calories to 1400 minimum. Any thoughts? I was doing so well the first two weeks and then 3rd and 4th week Im not seeing any differences. Bums me out, I work really hard at this :(

Replies

• SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    It sounds like you're burning A LOT, I agree with the higher intake.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    There are a million different answers you will hear. What I recommend is trying to set your weight loss goal to 1 lb per week and switch up your routine a bit exercise wise. However, what works for me may not work for you. Best you could do is try it for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • sashanicole88
    sashanicole88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you figure out your BMR:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

This is the amount of calories you need to survive on a daily basis. When you eat below this number, your body stores every thing you eat and stores it as fat because you are in starvation mode. I stalled for a month only eating 1300 calories. My BMR is 1600, so I started eating 1600, and in the three weeks I started eating more I have finally lost 5 pounds. Definitely think you should give it a try :) I know it's scary, but it's SO worth it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Ive been seeing a slow down in my weight loss the last two weeks, no idea what is going on. I do 30 Day Shred everyday (Im on level 3 now and finished on the 18th, only 4 more days till done), Im eating between 1200-1400 calories, sometimes 1500, I make sure to fluctuate it, pretty good with all my levels (sodium and sugar I go over SOMETIMES), do an additional cardio kickboxing for 20 minutes (total of 40 minutes of exercise a day).

Ive had some people tell me to up my calories to 1400 minimum. Any thoughts? I was doing so well the first two weeks and then 3rd and 4th week Im not seeing any differences. Bums me out, I work really hard at this :(

I would give it a few more weeks.

You probably could up your intake and I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea given your stats, but my point is that 2 weeks is not a long enough time to warrant concern over stalling.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    You might need to increase your calories.. the rule of thumb many people go by is to net your BMR.

I think that, in general, weight loss "slows down" for everyone at a certain point. When you first start losing weight... at least some of it is just water weight... so you'll be dropping weight faster... once that excess is gone it will appear that you're losing weight slower... but if you account for initial water weight.. you might be losing weight at the same pace.

Slower is better
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

You probably could up your intake and I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea given your stats, but my point is that 2 weeks is not a long enough time to warrant concern over stalling.

^^this

Weight loss, especially for women, should be looked at in at least 4 week increments due to the fluctuations that can be caused by water weight. Also, if you exercise, your muscles will retain water (above the usual water retention) so you just need to give it a little time. However, as suggested, upping your calories would probably be a good idea - you need to fuel those workouts.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options

This is the amount of calories you need to survive on a daily basis. When you eat below this number, your body stores every thing you eat and stores it as fat because you are in starvation mode. I stalled for a month only eating 1300 calories. My BMR is 1600, so I started eating 1600, and in the three weeks I started eating more I have finally lost 5 pounds. Definitely think you should give it a try :) I know it's scary, but it's SO worth it.
    I checked it out and it said 1532 calories. So is that what you suggest I start at?

Yeah this whole BMR thing really confuses me lol. I apologize if I sound like a broken record!
  • cannonsky
    Options

I checked it out and it said 1532 calories. So is that what you suggest I start at?

If the idea of that scares you.. you could slowly work up to that... the thing is... and you have to keep this in mind... when you start to eat more your body will hold some water weight while you adjust to the higher amount of calories.... it's perfectly normal.. it just takes time for your body to adjust. Check out the sticky notes in this group... lots of amazing information in there!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Plateaus happen. The closer you get to a natural, healthy body weight the harder it is to loose weight, so you need some patience. You also need to be willing to change up your routines when things stall, both in diet and exercise. When you do the same thing over and over again, your body figures out how to do it more efficiently and you will burn less energy over time. It also sounds like you're doing a good bit of moderate to high intensity exercise. Have you been tracking anything other than just the scale? Body measurements...progress pictures? You can transform your body, burning off body fat and building muscle, getting thinner and fitter without ever dropping a pound.

I also agree that you might not be eating enough. Netting 1200-1400 calories, depending on your BMR, might be fine as long as you are eating back your exercise calories. Remember the net calorie goal from MFP already includes the deficit when you set your goal to loose weight (1 lb per week = 500 cal per day deficit).
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Ive had some people tell me to up my calories to 1400 minimum. Any thoughts?

You've gone over on calories 5 days this month. Do you honestly think that adding more calories will help you lose faster? To each his own but I entirely disagree with anyone who tells you to up your calories. It's calories in - calories burned = your weight. Just as a test, short yourself a bit on calories for a couple days and see if that un-sticks your progress. There have been a few days I fasted breakfast and lunch (for religious reasons) and I always move the scale on those days with no exception.
    Have you been tracking anything other than just the scale? Body measurements...progress pictures? You can transform your body, burning off body fat and building muscle, getting thinner and fitter without ever dropping a pound.
    This too. I've had weeks when I didn't lose a pound but dropped an inch on my waist line. Keep track of that too.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

^^this

Weight loss, especially for women, should be looked at in at least 4 week increments due to the fluctuations that can be caused by water weight. Also, if you exercise, your muscles will retain water (above the usual water retention) so you just need to give it a little time. However, as suggested, upping your calories would probably be a good idea - you need to fuel those workouts.
    ^This

Also about the post you made:
    BMR is essentially what you need if you got ran over by a bus and were onconcious. Most people that talk about BMR eating AT LEAST this...Where AT LEAST this is somewhere between your TDEE and BMR (most people here recommend between 15-20 cut, I took a zero cut and still lost, so that part is up to you.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am using The New Rules of Lifting for Women Diet Plan Calculator to figure out my intake. I got the download from a post here on the forum.
  • sashanicole88
    Options

Yeah this whole BMR thing really confuses me lol. I apologize if I sound like a broken record!

I think that is a great place to start!

Here are some great resources:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/501511-great-read-on-plateau-ing

It made a difference for me :bigsmile:
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Do you eat vegetables? because I don't see any in your diary. Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value.
    One night of Dominos can equal no weight loss for the week.
    You should start tracking your sugar as well, see how that adds up.
    I see very little variety in what you eat from day to day, time to mix things up.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Eat no less than your BMR as a baseline, AND eat your exercise calories on top of that. Give it one month. You will be losing again.

Check out the group, EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS, and read all the stickies.

blessings.
  • wolveslovemee
    wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
    Options

You've gone over on calories 5 days this month. Do you honestly think that adding more calories will help you lose faster? To each his own but I entirely disagree with anyone who tells you to up your calories. It's calories in - calories burned = your weight. Just as a test, short yourself a bit on calories for a couple days and see if that un-sticks your progress. There have been a few days I fasted breakfast and lunch (for religious reasons) and I always move the scale on those days with no exception.
    Have you been tracking anything other than just the scale? Body measurements...progress pictures? You can transform your body, burning off body fat and building muscle, getting thinner and fitter without ever dropping a pound.
    This too. I've had weeks when I didn't lose a pound but dropped an inch on my waist line. Keep track of that too.

Yeah see this is exactly what Im thinking haha. I keep thinking I need to go less than 1300? But the majority of people on here keep telling me thats a no no, so its very conflicting. But your advice is what I would have assumed.

Also I have not read the scale at ALL since day 1, I only know that I started at 164 or 163 and am approx. 160 (maybe less now). So i do not read the scale, ...also I dont even have one! harhar

I have been taking pictures though. There is a difference from Day 1 to day 22. I think I posted them in the 30 DS group.

Anywho- my logic was the same as yours, and I went up the calories this week to see if it worked or not because others have told me to go higher.
  • sashanicole88
    Options

I agree with measuring besides just weight on the scale - however I wouldn't advise you eat less than 1200 a day or cut out any more calories....you'll just make yourself sick and want to binge. For me, at least, that is not the safest or healthiest route to take. Increasing calories helps support her metabolism. Cutting calories continues to slow down the metabolism, therefore a continued stall in weight loss.
  • cannonsky
    Options

Yeah see this is exactly what Im thinking haha. I keep thinking I need to go less than 1300? But the majority of people on here keep telling me thats a no no, so its very conflicting. But your advice is what I would have assumed.

Also I have not read the scale at ALL since day 1, I only know that I started at 164 or 163 and am approx. 160 (maybe less now). So i do not read the scale, ...also I dont even have one! harhar

I have been taking pictures though. There is a difference from Day 1 to day 22. I think I posted them in the 30 DS group.

Anywho- my logic was the same as yours, and I went up the calories this week to see if it worked or not because others have told me to go higher.

that's the thing though.. calorie increase in a not a quick fix.. it takes time. The reason so many people advocate for it is because it allows you to lose weight while maintaining a healthy metabolism.. which means you are less likely to gain the weight back
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

exactly. Its not going to happen overnight. Be patient it will happen dear :flowerforyou:
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    You have to see what works for you. I upped my calories by 130 and let it go for a 4 weeks and didn't see any change, I just stayed where I was. So for some people they up their calories and see changes, I wasn't one of them. I changed my exercise from running to workout DVD's and that's what jump started me again. You may just have to play around and see what works for you but make sure you're giving it at least 2 weeks for your body to adjust to see changes.

Maybe change what you're eating? If you don't have much variety, maybe change it up a bit...or even change the times you're eating? I know I seem to loose more consistantly if I eat dinner around 6...if I eat before that, I'm hungry again around 8-9 and snack...if I eat later, I feel bloated.

I've also broke plateaus by not changing anything just letting it ride out for a bit...Usually when I hit a plateau is 4-6 weeks long...frustrating but as long as it's not going up, that's okay with me.

Biggest advice I can give is just see what people say and play around with it to find what works best for you