I'm getting worried O.O

Options
I have been going 5 weeks. I do notice changes..my leg and ab muscles are a lot stronger... I can FIND them now =p and my boyfriend said my butt looks different..and he told me today that I had a roll under my arms on my back this has gotten a lot less noticeable.. I don't know why but I still feel like I'm never gonna see results in the belly and thigh area =| I started at 214 and I'm almost down to 190..tomorrow is weigh in day and I think I'll be at 189-190 =) I feel like I should be seeing a bigger difference.. so any one with similar stats (I'm 5' 4") 20 yrs old.. tell me your experience? I know by the time I've lost 74 lbs I'll look a lot different.. (I tend to panic and think it is never gonna work) Hearing other peoples stories might help...
Thanks =)

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    gut & thighs are usually the last to go. Gut especially since all that fat is protecting precious, vital organs, and one's body doesn't want to give up that kind of free padding.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm 137 and I still need work on belly/thighs definition. If you have a body like mine where you lose fat in your upper body and retain it in your lower belly/thigh area, it's probably going to take another 30lbs or so before you see a serious difference. BUT YOU WILL GET THERE! You are doing a great job, and if this wasn't working, then you wouldn't have lost 25lbs.

Keep doing what you're doing. It is working. Remember that change isn't noticeable from one day to the next, that's why patience (as much as it sucks) is one of the most important parts of this process.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    5 weeks and 24 pounds down?? and that's not good enough??

impatient much?

I'm sure you didn't get to 214 overnight - so take a chill pill and stick with it. lasting results don't happen overnight.
    (probably not what anyone wants to hear but gotta keep it real)
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've got quite a bit more to lose than you so I feel your pain. I've been at this 8 weeks and every week I respond, "WTF!". Then I stop, look at the bigger picture (Oh, I've lost that much total... oh my BF% has decreased that much, etc) and I calm down. It is ABSOLUTELY easier said than done. Hang in there! :-)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    gut & thighs are usually the last to go. Gut especially since all that fat is protecting precious, vital organs, and one's body doesn't want to give up that kind of free padding.

This :) As long as you're noticing some change, keep doing what you're doing :) it'll go eventually, but as said, it will probably be the last :(
  • Tiffaney82690
    Options
    I started at 256 and now am 225 honestly I still don't see anything I'm not saying give up hope the best part of becoming healthier is feeling healthy and feeling the difference in strength and endurance! for use short people Im 5'3 its not noticable as fast because you've got a little less area to spread the weight gain but you will see it soon enough im sure!
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    yup.. im down 40 pounds to 150 (5'5") and its belly and thighs for me.. still fat. :(

im hoping if i can get down that last 10 pounds.. it will make the difference.
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For a female those are areas that are really hard to lose weight in. BUT, this is a good reason to take progress pictures and to actually measure. So that you can see the results. When you lose a lot of weight the mind can take a long time to catch up to you. Others can see what you might take a year to actually see. The mind is a weird thing.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options

impatient much?

I'm sure you didn't get to 214 overnight - so take a chill pill and stick with it. lasting results don't happen overnight.

its the way it was said. it could have been said nicer...or just nicely in general.
  • AmyParker979
    Options

I didn't catch that... Yeah, you're killin' it! I'd love to be down 24 lbs and I've been at it a bit longer than you. Patience is a virtue. (I really hate that phrase - lol).
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is sticking with it. If you can dedicate yourself, you've got it made. If you work hard for six months, eat right, and take care of yourself, imagine where you'll be. Or, in six months, you'll look back and regret that you wasted the time...

You've done great so far. Don't let the steam out of the engine.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

^^^^ Ditto.

My biggest downfall with my numerous (and failed) attempts at losing weight came solely from growing impatient with my progress. It's really hard to see progress from day to day in the mirror, so I keep telling myself as long as I'm sticking to my diet and exercise plan, I'm losing weight, and I feel healthy, then I'm doing it right. If you weren't losing, then I'd be concerned, but you said you feel STRONGER and that is excellent!!! A sure sign that you're on the right track. Just keep going, monitor your progress, be faithful with your logging, and if adjustments need to be made so you can keep losing the weight, then do so. Congratulations on your progress so far!!! I can't wait until I can post the same thing about MY progress :drinker: :drinker:
  • AmyParker979
    Options

impatient much?

its the way it was said. it could have been said nicer...or just nicely in general.

Bah... nice... we are on the discussion boards. o.O
  • krleeqmayna
    Options
    I have been exercising for over two weeks now and am noticing similar things. Feel tighter on my stomache and other areas, but just not shedding the pounds like I had hoped. I have only lost 5 pounds so far, which I am assuming is water weight. I do notice a difference when I drink the 8 glasses of water a day that I should. I am 5'7 and 207...started at 213 on the digital scale and the spring scale I first weighed in on said 205 now 200. I like the spring scale better!! My goal is to be 150 by next June. I understand and share your frustration. I am walking, dancing, learning Zumba and eating so much better than I was before. You are not alone!!! :) I guess we just have to hang in there. Add me as a friend if you like and maybe we can keep each other going!!
  • sunsportsmom
    sunsportsmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Slow & steady wins the race. The longer it takes you the better ingrained your behavior becomes. You don't want this to be a flash in the pan, this is a lifetime achievement. Look at what you've accomplished, and celebrate the success!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,034 Member
    Options
    It will happen, but you will be the last ot see it. I would say the next 20 pounds will make a huge difference. At 152, I'm feeling downright skinny! I am 5'5", but I'm in my fifties. If I can start looking good, you are going to look AMAZING!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    The slower you lose the weight the slower it can come back.
    Ever hear about those people that lose a lot of weight really quick and then gain it back the next month?
    Anyways what I'm getting at is you are doing great, just keep it up.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Five weeks is not a long time, even though I know it feels like it! Just keep at it and you will slowly see your body changing. It takes time to put it on, and take it off. Stay the course :)
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Slow & steady wins the race. The longer it takes you the better ingrained your behavior becomes. You don't want this to be a flash in the pan, this is a lifetime achievement. Look at what you've accomplished, and celebrate the success!

^^^^^ :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options

impatient much?

I am VERY impatient honestly. Not just with this weight loss but everything. I know I am being dramatic in my post.. but what I really want to know is how long it has taken other people to lose in those areas. 24 lbs and barely 1/4" of my belly.. Want to know if this is really normal or not.