After All These Years of "No I Can't!"...I Can Actually Run?

Options
I'm proud of myself today. I ran 5 straight minutes during my workout. Granted, the first two minutes I spent fighting myself, knowing I had three more minutes to go, but I did it! I know it's a little lame, but I cried when I got in my car afterwards because I've spent the past five years of my life doubting my ability to do anything fitness wise. My goal is now to make it to 45 straight minutes of running, but I know I have a long road to go before I reach that. It's just crazy how telling yourself that you can't do something, so many times over so many years, really gets you to believe your own lies. Hope everyone enjoys their Flag Day!

Replies

• octoberk
    octoberk Posts: 4
    Options
    Congratulations! :)
    Most of the battle is getting over the mental cloud that inhibits you from meeting your goals
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Congrats soon you will be running for 10 mins...then eventually to 30 mins.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I've never been a runner, didn't want to be one, never tried to be one. Until January of this year. I wanted an exercise I could do almost anywhere, and I wanted a challenge. So I started the c25k program. Worked like a charm. :smile: I was amazed at how quickly I progressed, and around Week 6, when the program looked like a huge jump in running time & I thought I could never do it - I went for it, and I DID IT!

Ran my first 5k race Memorial Day Weekend and loved it - also got my personal best 5k time and fastest mile to date. Now I've started a 10k trainer program that picked up where c25k left off.

A favorite quote: "There are things you think you cannot do - you have no idea how strong you are until you try!" ~Jillian Michaels
  • cwatson1214
    cwatson1214 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I am actually feeling the same way today. I just started to C25k plan, i did it one day last week and said there is no way I can do this. I spent the last three days not exercising and really beating myself up about it. Today I got on that treadmill and I did it. I had to take a break in between, but I did it. It feels good to be rpoud of yourself doesnt it?
  • inraptorswetrust
    inraptorswetrust Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first consecutive mile (with no walking interval breaks) last week (I had never run before May!) and I felt like a champ (even though I still have a long way to go). Enjoy your victory and keep running :)
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, way to stick through those first few tough minutes. Keep slowing increasing your time and you will be amazed at what you can do. I started running in the fall, did my first 5K without walking on Thanksgiving and last weekend ran over 8 miles in 1 1/2 hours. I get choked up everytime I start and finish a race because I still can't believe what I have been able to do.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!! I completely understand what a big victory this is. I can now run 3.1 miles. I had never run more than 1/2 a mile before and that was as a kid!
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! Those wonderful milestones just keep happening. First 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then one mile non-stop, then 30 minutes non-stop, then a 5K, then a 10K. Relish each and every one!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You'll be increasing toward your goal in no time, and then setting new ones.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I started the Couch to 5K program in March. I just completed my 1st 5K (45 minute) run on Monday night.

It does get easier and you will start to enjoy running. (I used to think people should only run when someone with an axe was chasing them ~ now I look forward to my runs)

Step by step, every day gets easier. (and yes, most of it is mental training...I almost always have 4-5 moments where I think I can't do it but then I look at my time and say...I ain't stopping now!)

Head down, one foot in front of the other and keep us posted on your progress!

You've got this....
  • annkath40
    annkath40 Posts: 8
    Options
    Agree with so many of the posters regarding the couch to 5k program. I started 6 weeks ago and I was that person that could not run 1 minute without feeling like my lungs were coming up through my nose. My last 'run' had two segments of 8 minutes running and I couldn't believe that I was able to complete it. Congrats on the 5 minutes!!
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    YAY! Every journey begins with but one step! CONGRATULATIONS!
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! And I cried after I ran my first 5K. The fact that I accomplished it and my hubby and daughter were cheering me at the finish line...that's all I needed!

Don't stop, you will be surprised after time how much your body will adapt to running and how long you will be able to go without stopping. It is a great feeling :)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    That's great! When I first started running, my goal was to run for 1 minute straight, and that was tough for me. 6 months later, I ran my first marathon. Just increase your goals a little at a time, and you'll be where you want to be before you know it. Good for you!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I had the very same (and emotional!) "ah-HA!" moment when I started running!! You'll get to 45 minutes in no time, just keep telling yourself not only that you CAN do it, but you WILL do it. I have recently started using mental rehearsal to get myself in the zone to really give it my all every workout and it's paying off. Visualize every step of your workout, every lap of your run, how fast you're going to move your legs, how you're going to breathe, and execute :) It's never been a question of your ability, darling!!! Congratulations and keep on running!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    that is pretty awesome!!!!
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to that same accomplishment. Congrats!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The first step is the hardest.......

Be patient, don't try to progress too quickly. Listen to your body, a little soreness is normal pain is not. Be consistent, consistency is one of the biggest "secrets" that any successful person practices whether it's running or playing a musical instrument practice consistently.

Most importantly......have fun!
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm still working on the mind over body thing myself. I'm "training" for my first 5K in July. I can only get up to 2.5 miles, but when I get tired I tell myself, "one more song, you can stop after one more song". Also, the Rent soundtrack really helps me too. The music and the story get me though at least 25 minutes. I may not be able to run the whole 5K, but I'll definitely be able to finish!

Good luck with the next 5!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    you jusst inspired me to get my running shoes of after 8 months of excuse asn not running first run today even if it is only 5 mins