Fitbit

Options

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic.
    I have lost so many pedometers when worn at the waist & really want a fitbit but reluctant to lose something so expensive!! Are they secure??

I cannot imagine it possibly falling off my bra. It is shaped sorta like an old fashioned wooden clothes pin--the kind without a hinge on it. I have run on the treadmill, used the elliptical, done seated crunches, etc with it on, and it is ALWAYS snug on my sports bra.

I haven't experienced it myself, but I have heard MANY stories of fitbits that were washed, and a few of lost/damaged ones, and the company is very happy to replace them. I have also heard stories of people who requested and were sent ( for free) extra charging docks and sleep bands for their fitbit.
  • poundsgalore
    poundsgalore Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Fitbit. I have owned it since Feb. It is awesome for keeping track of steps, calories burned, helps you to set goals for yourself if you find that hard, like I did!!

I don't understand those comparing it to a HRM though because they cannot be compared, they are different types of monitors. There are HRM lovers and Pedometer lovers! A Fitbit is a pedometer on steroids!! And I love it :-) I think if you really want HRM monitor I would not get a Fitbit unless you can afford both.

I have heard you can get them cheaper at Amazon or Best Buy. I got mine from the company. My base stopped syncing with my computer because I was carrying it to work with me I think and the chord was stretched but Fitbit replaced it for free. Great customer service.

I carry mine in it's clip holder or in my pants pocket. I bought a little lanyard off ebay that I use with it that clips to my pants, just in case it comes off. It saved me from loosing it a couple times.

Good luck!!
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just got mine today. So far I'm in love!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic.
    I have lost so many pedometers when worn at the waist & really want a fitbit but reluctant to lose something so expensive!! Are they secure??

I've had mine for 2.5 years so far, but I think 1.5 of those it was in a desk drawer. I haven't lost it but I'm pretty attentive to it and used to making sure it's safe when I disrobe, etc. A LOT of people run them through the wash accidentally, or lose them. You can put it on a pedo leash (or just a rubber band to your belt loop or whatever) easily.

Someone above said her's puts itself into sleep mode? I had one for about a month that did that. They replaced it.

I love mine and lost 35 lbs. with it when it was new. It's calorie estimates for me are pretty right on but I know which activities need logged and which it tracks well.
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    From what I'm reading, I would have to use it on the wrist band. Can you tell me how heavy that would be and if it is large enough to interfere with normal activity? Perhaps I'll just use it when I am actually working out and not worry about how many steps I've taken for the whole day. Do you think it would be worth it for that?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    The fitbit's not heavy at all...I don't even think it weighs a full ounce.

You'd only have to wear it on your wrist if you want to track sleep. I don't but I still wear it to bed in a pocket or clipped to whatever I'm wearing to count those few steps to the bathroom if I wake up in the middle of the night. :smile:

As for using just for your workout, it really depends on what you do for that workout. It's not accurate for strength training (but I'm not sure any weight loss device is) or for the ellptical. Most of my exercise is walking and it's awesome for that. :smile:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is good for tracking your everyday movements while you're at work or home. If you're looking for tracking calories burned and heart rate, FitBit is not the tool you're looking for, you would need a HRM to measure your exercise remotely accurately.
  • noturninback
    noturninback Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimgettinfit
    kimgettinfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think the Polar FT4 was around $100 which is what I paid for my fitbit...I have both and love them.
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    Agree with the others, Fitbit and HRM's can't be compared. I have both, and when I go for a run I wear my Fitbit and my HRM and compare the data from both. I wouldn't be without my Fitbit, I love it!
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Fitbit is good for tracking your everyday movements while you're at work or home. If you're looking for tracking calories burned and heart rate, FitBit is not the tool you're looking for, you would need a HRM to measure your exercise remotely accurately.

For resistance exercises, cycling and swimming, the Fitbit is about useless. But otherwise it does a great job of estimating your TDEE, from my experience. People do great with it and logging there other activities from a database or just to know their baseline burn/activity level across time.

Though a HRM is a great tool, too, especially for interval training and learning about your own HR zones. And if you don't trust the activity databases, it's nice to have your own calorie estimate values to enter.
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have one.For 49 a year it tracks heart rate and all that. I am considering it because it's better than the monthly charges others do.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Is anyone out there using a Fitbit. I'm considering getting one as I'm not all that confident in a normal pedometer. I considered HRM but don't know if that is enough. I just want an accurate way to track heart rate and calorie burn. Any help would be great. Thanks

I use both but the HRM just to keep my heart rate in the zone. I let my fitbit log all exercises that require steps or being on my feet.

I no longer log running or walking, I let my fitbit do it and it seems very accurate and it motivates the heck out of me. When you see the numbers in front of you, it makes a difference. I have been caught doing laps around the house to make a goal before midnight MANY times! You will love it, I promise.
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    I love my fitbit....I wear it 24/7 . I have never lost mine however my husband has lost 2!!! He was using the belt clip and I just clip mine on my waistband. I also have a HRM....which usually sits in a drawer. But when I did compare and wear both....they were very close on calorie burns. I like that it links in with MFP and also gives you a fitbit account to keep up with everything. It is a great little motivator :)
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    How do you wear the Fitbit? I've been holding off buying one depending on how it is attached.

I wear mine on my bra strap and that seems perfect for me as I eve sleep in a bra.
  • skey13
    skey13 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had a Fitbit since they first came out. I have the first edition and had to preorder a few months in advance. I love mine, and have worn it everyday for the last 2 years. I clip it on the top of my bra. I have never lost it or put it through the wash. I have a HRM somewhere, but would have to look for it.

It really makes you move more and the company customer service is great!
  • jatiger83
    jatiger83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do you have to pay a monthly fee with the fitbit?
  • mcarter99
    Options
    No, the Fitbit has no subscription needed though there is an optional 'premium' subscription that adds some things. I didn't see anything in there remotely of interest to me but I only glanced it over when it first came out.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have both a HRM and the Fitbit. My Fitbit I wear everday...I love it! I love how it works together with MFP. I have set my profile to Sedentary on both MFP and Fitbit and just let the Fitbit tell me how many calories I have burned and how much I can eat. The only time I wear my HRM now is if I am going to do some sort of strenuous exercise (the Fitbit can not determine amount of effort) and then I would log the exercise on MFP and it would override what the Fitbit says for that time period.

The motivating factor of the Fitbit is what has won me over. I love knowing how many steps, stairs, calories, etc for the day. I love trying to beat your previous weeks scores. I like how they send you an e-mail once a week with your results for the week...and yes, I even love the little badges they award you for certain things.

I could live without my HRM, but I sure wouldn't want to live without my Fitbit anymore! :laugh:
  • Krissy_b777
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and I love it too!