casein

Options
Jersey_Devil
Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
what is your favorite brand of casein to drink before bedtime? Right now I am using GNC brand and don't like it.

Replies

• Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I take ON Chocolate Peanut Butter and love it.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    After trying different GNC products and not being happy with their taste, plus dealing with their high prices, I decided to not go to them anymore. I go to Vitamin Shoppe. Now about the favorite brand of casein protein, I haven't bought any yet, which hopefully that will change soon.
  • ldytaz
    ldytaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try Optimum Nutrition Peanut Butter and Chocolate, it's the best so far that I have tried and actually liked
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it's necessary to drink casein before bedtime?
  • YassSpartan
    Options

Casein protein takes longer to digest, which helps to absorb the most while you sleep since is the time where you body recovers from all the beating it gets during the day and repairs/builds muscle fibers.

Whey protein takes less time, so your body will absorb some of it but it probably won't take advantage of all the protein as it should.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Casein protein takes longer to digest, which helps to absorb the most while you sleep since is the time where you body recovers from all the beating it gets during the day and repairs/builds muscle fibers.

Whey protein takes less time, so your body will absorb some of it but it probably won't take advantage of all the protein as it should.

Here bro, invest in one of these

129126342324388080.jpg
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I love optimum nutrition's chocolate cake batter and peanut butter chocolate flavors. :)
  • YassSpartan
    Options

As always, My post wouldn't be anything without your support Acg67
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

As always, My post wouldn't be anything without your support Acg67

Latest studies showed casein digestion wasn't longer than other proteins actually (around 6 gr per hour) - as for the catabolic state, the friend acg67 replied ^^
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    PercivalH, could totally be the case, just as I had read what I wrote after Men's Health published an article about a study some university had done. At the end of the day, who really knows who's right or wrong. Now a days the amount of studies and researches done from different sources agree and disagree all the time.

I think the smartest thing would have been to educate with information instead of doing what everyone in this forum always do :drinker:
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    PercivalH, could totally be the case, just as I had read what I wrote after Men's Health published an article about a study some university had done. At the end of the day, who really knows who's right or wrong. Now a days the amount of studies and researches done from different sources agree and disagree all the time.

I think the smartest thing would have been to educate with information instead of doing what everyone in this forum always do :drinker:

Hi Yass :-)
    I think you are right, I keep reading one informations, a couple of months later, that last is totally outdated.
    when I discuss about casein now, I simply explain that fact, and the fact casein has an anti-catabolic effect, while whey has an anabolic one. But even that info could be totally false in a couple of time :laugh:
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Roughly how long does it take to enter a catabolic state?
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    It is only after a long maintained fast that protein breakdown occurs. It happens when the stored glycogen stored into the liver lacks. Conversion from amino-acids to glucose (neoglucogenesis) starts then to happen. If those amino-acids are not available within the plasma, this is when the body proteins which are used.
    Cahill studied the amino-acids contribution to the neoglucogensis after a 100g of glucose injection. He found amino-acids from the muscle contributed up to 50% for the glucose levels maintenance after 16 hours, and up to 100% after 28 hours - when the liver was depleted.
    http://www.jci.org/articles/view/106017
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Like 10 minutes, bro. (notsrs)
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options

Like 10 minutes, bro. (notsrs)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: