What's best program which helped you to tone up?

Options

Replies

• julie_75
    julie_75 Posts: 11
    Options
    Chalean Extreme is awesome! She really explains proper form on all the exercises and works your whole body. I lost 3 inches in my hips in just a couple of months and my legs were getting really strong. (threw that in there since you were specifically talking about lower body) :happy:
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Heavy strenght training. You should read the book "new rules of lifting for women"

^THIS! And I also like StrongLifts 5x5!!!
  • julie_75
    julie_75 Posts: 11
    Options
    Forgot to mention the killer Bowler's Lunges! You make all of the exercises as hard as you want. Go heavy or go home!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I did NROL4W and now I'm doing some glute-centric workouts from Bret Contreas' blog (The Glute Guy). Lots of variations of squats, lunges and glute bridges. It's seems to be working for me, thus far.
  • britcurl
    britcurl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm curious. I often hear people talking on here about women 'lifting heavy'. For an average sized woman, what is 'heavy'? I mean in lbs or kilos, for free weights one in each hand say?

So many people swear by this, but I am totally clueless about what this would involve. My gym has some free weights in a corner, but the room with all the serious weights is just full of men who are serious about lifting. I would feel quite intimidated going in there.

Is it possible to still build muscle lifting the hand weights and doing things like bicep and tricep curls, and so on, or do you think that's a waste of time?

I say, push the men outta the way. Hand weights will get you no where. Do some squats and dead lifts and bench presses right along with the guys (If they are even doing them..silly boys). I LOVE heavy lifting!!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've donloaded brazilian butt workout and it seemed too easy and a bit boring...any other programs which helped you tone up (especially legs)

I had great success with P90X. But have just switched to mostly using BBL and P90X2 for the purpose of lean muscle development as opposed to lifting heavier weight. I've done research and as a runner, I need Brazillian Butt Lift to keep my hips strong and my arms and abs pushed to that exhaustion limits. BBL isn't an easy program, it's not the intensity of Insanity or P90X, but I'm still sore after most work outs from it.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    One where you have to lift some weights. While body weight exercises are good, as weight gets lost, the resistance lessens meaning that you're not increasing strength. It's like when people who were heavy try to do a pull up, couldn't, then lose 50lbs and now can. They didn't get stronger per se, they're just pulling up less weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

What?

Resistance is resistance. Work such that you reach failure in 5 reps or less or 15 seconds or less and you will get stronger, regardless of where the resistance comes from.

The fact that you are saying that pullups don't make you stronger, yet you post your credentials on every post, is one of the most laughable things I've ever seen.

Progressive calisthenics works. Do you think that gymnasts are a bunch of wimps?

Fact is progressive bodyweight work will have you working in the ultralow rep range; heavy singles, doubles, and triples, far more than most weight schemes (things like 531 excluded), weight people seem to be afraid of working really heavy, and that is where the strength gains are massive.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    One where you have to lift some weights. While body weight exercises are good, as weight gets lost, the resistance lessens meaning that you're not increasing strength. It's like when people who were heavy try to do a pull up, couldn't, then lose 50lbs and now can. They didn't get stronger per se, they're just pulling up less weight.

IDEA Fitness member

What?

Resistance is resistance. Work such that you reach failure in 5 reps or less or 15 seconds or less and you will get stronger, regardless of where the resistance comes from.

The fact that you are saying that pullups don't make you stronger, yet you post your credentials on every post, is one of the most laughable things I've ever seen.

Progressive calisthenics works. Do you think that gymnasts are a bunch of wimps?

Fact is progressive bodyweight work will have you working in the ultralow rep range; heavy singles, doubles, and triples, far more than most weight schemes (things like 531 excluded), weight people seem to be afraid of working really heavy, and that is where the strength gains are massive.

Wow, you really missed the point of what Niner was trying to say, didn't you?
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For me Butt bible. Especially level 3 when I'm using heavier dumbells and sometimes my kettlebell. You can find it even on youtube.
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    Chalene Extreme is awesome and is a full workout you can do longterm as she gives you several different phases that once you get through the first program you can mix up to keep your muscles guessing. You lift heavy with good form to see nice lean muscles quickly :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    by Stew Smith

Lose Fat, Build Muscles With Circuit Training

When the weather turns cold, I receive many emails discussing running in the cold weather, or alternative exercises you can do in the weight room that will also have a cardiovascular effect. Circuit training is one of the best ways to make a resistance and strength training workout that is also challenging for your heart and lungs.

This workout is a 20-minute workout that will take you to your maximum physical effort as well as your maximum heart rate. The object of this workout is not to rest in between exercises. You will see that one minute of a particular exercise will burn out the targeted muscle group as well as increase your heart rate to a fat and sugar burning zone. Try the 20 minute workout below - if it is not challenging enough for you try it again, totaling only 40 minutes of your time in the weight room.

20 Minutes Circuit Workout

(*choose light weights for max reps)

1) Bench press* or pushups - max in 1:00
    2) Squats - max in 1:00
    3) Pullups or pulldowns - 1:00
    4) Bike or jog - 3:00
    5) Military press* - 1:00
    6) Lunges - 1:00 each leg
    7) Bicep curls - 1:00
    8) Bike or jog - 3:00
    9) Tricep extensions.- 1:00
    10) Leg ext - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat squats with weights)
    11) Leg curls - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat lunges with weights)
    12) Situps - 2:00
    13) Crunches - 2:00
    14) Stretch

There is an unlimited number of ways to organize a circuit workout. The above workout is organized with upper body, lower body and cardiovascular exercises. By simply doing the above upper body and lower body exercises in such a way, you will be able to rest your upper body muscles while you workout your lower body muscles, but you will never rest your heart. This is how you make the circuit workout challenging to your cardiovascular system as well as your major muscle groups. Studies have shown that mixing a resistance training regimen with a cardiovascular element will increase your metabolism, therefore burning fat and building muscle. The result is a decrease in body fat percentage.

So, if you are looking to lose inches and body fat, workouts like this coupled with 4-5 smaller meals and 3-4 quarts of water everyday will help you achieve your goal. The best thing about this diet program is that you do not need a single dietary supplement - just good old fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish and other lean meats. The key is to burn more calories than you take in and this workout will help you with that - promise.
    Oxymoron since lifting light weights for high reps builds muscle endurance. To build muscle you need to overload it with high resistance for about 8-12 reps and multiple sets.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

How do you progressively increase strength doing pullups if your body weight goes down? The resistance is going down, so you're not getting stronger. How is that laughable?
    You'll build "muscle endurance" once someone has mastered doing 50 pushups with bodyweight, but unless you add weight to that body (via a weighted vest or a weight on the back) strength ISN'T increased.
    Also how do you "progressively" do ultra low reps with bodyweight? Unless you're speaking of going from a two hand push up to one hand push up, you can't do 1 or 2 pushups after being able to do 50 and "progressively" get stronger unless the bodyweight is increased.

IDEA Fitness member
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Taking notes and bumping for updates.
  • brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    Options
    P90x, P90x2, and Insanity!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Definitely P90X. I've done several of Jillians's workouts, and while they are effective, she merely copied a few moves from Tony and they're not nearly as good as the original if you ask me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Definitely P90X. I've done several of Jillians's workouts, and while they are effective, she merely copied a few moves from Tony and they're not nearly as good as the original if you ask me.
    Hate to tell you that many of those "moves" have been around for decades. It's how it's packaged and advertised that made it popular.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you that many of those "moves" have been around for decades. It's how it's packaged and advertised that made it popular.

The select few "moves" I'm referring to I've only seen from those two. His came out years before hers, hence my assumption. And I did state it was just my opinion.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options

How do you progressively increase strength doing pullups if your body weight goes down? The resistance is going down, so you're not getting stronger. How is that laughable?
    You'll build "muscle endurance" once someone has mastered doing 50 pushups with bodyweight, but unless you add weight to that body (via a weighted vest or a weight on the back) strength ISN'T increased.
    Also how do you "progressively" do ultra low reps with bodyweight? Unless you're speaking of going from a two hand push up to one hand push up, you can't do 1 or 2 pushups after being able to do 50 and "progressively" get stronger unless the bodyweight is increased.

IDEA Fitness member

Actually as a certified personal trainer you should know there are tons of possibilities to progress with bodyweight only. Classic pull up getting to easy? Do it with one arm or move onto salmon ladder where you move the bar up! It doesn't end with a classic pull up.
    Did you ever watch Ninja Warrior? They don't look like they have difficulties to build obstacle courses and make them tougher and tougher. Contestants only move their body through them. And believe me they are not beginners.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Actually as a certified personal trainer you should know there are tons of possibilities to progress with bodyweight only. Classic pull up getting to easy? Do it with one arm or move onto salmon ladder where you move the bar up! It doesn't end with a classic pull up.
    Did you ever watch Ninja Warrior? They don't look like they have difficulties to build obstacle courses and make them tougher and tougher. Contestants only move their body through them. And believe me they are not beginners.
    I wasn't questioning on "how" to progress with bodyweight, I was questioning waldo on how strength is progressed when resistance is decreased.
    Leverage and single arm/leg movements will definitely make a pullup/pushup harder, but strength progression will eventually halt if resistance isn't added.
    The people that compete on Ninja Warrior not only train on bodyweight, but many do extensive training in gyms or other weight resistant exercises. They use other techniques to strengthen their forearms (wrist curls, grip squeezers, finger rolls) with weight resistance.
    I've NEVER said you can't be progressive with one's bodyweight, I've stated that INCREASING strength without INCREASING resistance doesn't happen. People can condition their muscles better with bodyweight, but as bodyweight lessens going from 10 to 20 pushups isn't an indication of strength.
    Great example is a person that can do 10 pullups with bodyweight. Add 10lbs to them and now they can only do eight. They lose weight and now can do 20 pullups. Put the weight back on them and 20 pullups drops back to 10. That's not strength progression.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Dear friends I am very thankful to all your recommendations of programs But I am in strength training-lifting for 2 months already. I lift 3 times a week. One day it's very heavy I did squats with 80 kg on my shoulders on Sunday and pushed platform with 130 kg I lift from the floor 60kg usually I don't know how much in lbls it is but 61 kg is my body weight, so I train with weight equal to my body weight and even much more, two other times I do resistance/balance exercises with 14 kg weight, all the rest days pilates+ I walk a lot and don't miss any stairs. I was in fitness (including lifting actually) before I got sick for a year and before that it was dancing and yoga. Of course I am not even close to saying that I understand much in fitness, if I would I'd not be here asking for peoples advices. As for toning.... English is not my native language, I am Russian and I speak english, chinese and italian. Toningment for me building more muscles I don't understand why some men posted so negative comments...why do you think that I am one of those chicks with little pink stuff doing little exercises...I simply want to increase my exercise amount (between I eat also a lot and that's mostly good food so I have forces to exercise) I believe such men are just women haters, or maybe they just disliked me so much for some reason....whatever Thanks again for those who are supportive, feel free to add me to your friend list and please fly the kight t those who post negative comments here