Body Weight vs. Actual Weights

Options
2»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you incorporate each. Weights, in general, are your best means of building strength. To Niner's point, you need to overload the muscle. However, doing things like Chin-Ups and Dips are EXCELLENT bodyweight exercises for building strength as well and any decent strength training program should incorporate both. Although some people with shoulder issues may have trouble with Dips. Just to be clear, I'm talking about Dips on a horizontal or "V" bar, not on a bench with your feet in front of you.

I think push-ups, burpees, jump-squats have their place in strength training but I would approach them more from a cardio perspective by combining sets of exercises.

Something like...

A1 - 10 Pushups
    A2 - 5 Chin-ups
    A3 - 10 Burpees
    A4 - 10 Jump Squats
    A5 - 10 Medicine Ball Slams

- Do each exercise consecutively, that's one set
    - Rest 60 seconds and do it again
    - Do as many sets as you can
    - Increase intensity by adding reps, sets, or reducing rest time

I would consider that more of a cardio day than a strength training day.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    Bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    well, since your body weight is limited you wont continue to build muscle or increase strength once your muscles become accustomed to the weight and the motion.

doing body weight only exercises should be enough to maintain muscle, but the only real way to increase and build strength is by adding more weight.

This is only partially correct. There's ten million ways to change leverage...which changes the stress of the exercise, thus increasing and building strength.

Here's a before and after, roughly 3mos of STRICTLY bodyweight training, 3 days a week, roughly 30 minutes a day...utilizing 3-5 exercises in a 5x5 format:

7434194_2240.jpg7434194_1237.jpg

Oh yes...bodyweight can be quite effective for strength training, you just have to be creative and not limit yourself to the typical 'pushup/situp/pullup' routine most people imagine with bodyweight. By the time I was done and finally broke down for a gym membership...I was doing 5x5 handstand pushups, at 180lbs plus clothing lol.

Truth!
    =D

Nice work BTW.

I just installed a pull up bar in my basement.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Truth!
    =D

Nice work BTW.

I just installed a pull up bar in my basement.

Thanks Dan!

And for the rest of you...here's a link to some information on how I eat. Dan, I saw you posted in that thread already...good stuff!

~Edit - Guess you need the link lol:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/551347-has-anyone-tried-intermittent-fasting
  • bk0626
    bk0626 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I've been looking for since I'm without the gym for the summer.

Thank you Cris Anderson for posting this!!!
  • lisa_e2012
    lisa_e2012 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump. Chris Anderson you are my new hero!
  • adamsanders
    adamsanders Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    your body doesnt know the difference from machine to body to cable, as long as the muscles are being challenged at different intensities you can always get results, things like tempo of exercise/rest is what makes the biggest difference,
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Bump. Chris Anderson you are my new hero!

Aww, thanks!
    your body doesnt know the difference from machine to body to cable, as long as the muscles are being challenged at different intensities you can always get results, things like tempo of exercise/rest is what makes the biggest difference,

Actually, it does...but only indirectly. Machines target direct muscle groups...without engaging support muscles. Cables are better obviously, as far as targeting support musculature along with direct musculature. Freeweights are even better than that.

Bodyweight however...due to the often complex exercises/lifts necessary to truly engage in an advanced strength training workout, is far superior to the others...as far as that goes.

So in effect, there are differences your body will react to...but you are 100% correct that muscle stimuli is muscle stimuli, regardless of how it is applied.