Has anyone used a nutritionist here?

Options
Sooo...I've been on a strict nutrition plan for 1 month now and I love it! I like the fact that the plan is specifically for your body type based on a detailed personal evaluation. Every body is different so there's no way a certain fad diet can work for everyone. I had a huge chemical imbalance which caused me to crave sweets HORRIBLY before and now they have gone away. I'm not going into detail what my diet consists of because everyone has their own opinions and I don't want this to turn into a debate thread. But I did want to know your experiences with using a nutritionist, positive or negative. Have a great day everyone! :)

Also wanted to add that I can totally eat this way for the rest of my life! :D

Replies

• fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    I am seeing one now, have been for about a month. Her advice was very basic, but it seems to work. She had me increase my protein and total calories. I TRY to get 30g of protein per meal, and at least 10g snacks. I don't worry about "eating back exercise calories". I just eat in the range of 1600-1900 cals, and this is based on how much I work out. So, it's been a positive experience thus far!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I am seeing one now, have been for about a month. Her advice was very basic, but it seems to work. She had me increase my protein and total calories. I TRY to get 30g of protein per meal, and at least 10g snacks. I don't worry about "eating back exercise calories". I just eat in the range of 1600-1900 cals, and this is based on how much I work out. So, it's been a positive experience thus far!
    If your caloric intake is based on how much you work out, you are eating back your exercise calories.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am blessed with a brilliant friend who is a nutritionist! At our last girls night out she spent about 30 minutes answering my questions and giving me advice. I didn't get a specific plan from her, and if I wanted one I would make sure to schedule an appointment so as to not take advantage, but I did get tons of tips that have been very helpful to me.
  • mfpmech
    mfpmech Posts: 10
    Options
    nutritionists: unscientific scam artists/bull****ters that should be scourged
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have because I was stuck at same weight for a month. She made a few minor adjustments to my food intake and it worked magic. I would recommend it!!
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested to see one.. I did but found it hard to keeping track with protein, carbs, dairy, fruits and veggies, etc.........Where I had to watch each one... It was too hard.. MFP is so much easier.. Let me say that I did not lose any weight on the nutritionist's diet plan.....
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    :smile: I used a nutritionist when I started. She tweaked a diet based on my prefernces, lifestyle,nand medical concerns. It has worked for me and I attained my goal wt recently. Unfortunately, since I got healthier (off BP med and not diabetic) my insurance would no longer pay for it. UGH it really burns me that they won't pay for fitness.I still use the basics she gave me. I eat 40% protein, 40%carb and 20% fat. I do a vigorous work out 2 hours a day which is the reason for the high protein. Again it is tailored for me and everyone is different.
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Part of the cardio + strength training program I am doing now included meeting with a nutritionist. That part of it was useless. Not saying there aren't some good ones out there.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I used a nutritionist when I was in college with a gaggle of medical issues. She was a great help. I need structure and rules and simply won't do it alone. I've been w/o a nutritionist for over 6 years now and Just got an appt with a new one for next month. BTWN her and MFP I'm sure i' well on my way to that goal weight of mine. *fingerscrossed*