30 Day Shred combined with what???

Options
Hello, I'm on day 14 of the 30 day shred and I'm trying not to do any measurements untill the end, but the scale is not moving! I did take a sneak peak and measured my arms and waist and I have lost a half inch from both locations (measured 3 days ago). My question is what is everyone's calorie amounts and are you doing extra cardio? I haven't done the best at counting my calories the last few weeks but I'm eating 1400-1600 and along with the shred I'm trying to do cardio (brisk walking or elliptical) at least 3 times a week. I'm excited that I have lost the inch but I really want the number on the scale to drop. Oh, and I'm 5'7 SW-201 CW 168.4 GW-150. I began dieting in Jan and I haven't really lost much at all the last few months. Any suggestions?? Oh I also took 2 cheat days over the weekend to see if going up to 1600-1800 calories would help, I gained 4 ounces.

Replies

• Abrandnewme36
    Abrandnewme36 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hello????? Anybody out there with some feedback?? Please......:huh:
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scales dont move just because they are evil devices created only for torture.

My scale hasnt moved since April. However, since April, I have dropped from a size 10 in jeans to a size 6. (Im 5'6 137lbs). I can wear clothes that I was squeezing into before. I can lift a lot more than I used to. I went from barely being able to run 1 mile to running 5 miles and not only surviving it, but feeling great at the end (slight exaggeration I think). I can see muscles in my legs that I havent seen in years, and I have had to punch 3 new holes in my belt. But I havent lost a single pound. Not even half a pound! But Im so much "tighter" or "more compact" than I was...its frustrating not to see the scale move, but remember all the other stuff counts too.

I do a variety of workouts. I run about 15 to 20 miles a week, do 30DS twice a week, lift weights 2ce a week, and play the biggest loser kinect game at least once a week. I take one day of complete rest where I usually just stretch and walk the dogs. But still the scale doesnt move. I guess my advice would be not to weigh in for a week. Put the scale in a closet or under the bathroom sink so it isnt visible for a week or so. Stop stressing about it and just focus on how you feel and how your body is changing (getting stronger, more endurance, more muscle, toned)...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Most people, myself included, lose more inches than pounds while doing the 30DS. In my opinion, inches are 100x better than pounds. Have some patience. Also, when I was doing the 30DS faithfully, I also did cardio.
  • jamiefitandhealthy
    Options
    what is the 30 Day Shred??
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    log log log.. I cannot stress enough how important it is to log everything. and watch the salt intake and water water water. Trust me. I am that person who was lax until now.
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    what is the 30 Day Shred??

Jillian Michaels dvd
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30DS but I also do 30-60 minutes of other cardio - running, cycling etc. And I plan on starting Chalean Extreme on Saturday.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I gained weight doing the shred. Got to d1w3 and quit out of frustration.
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    In April I did the 30 DS on its own, no other exercise at all. I lost 3 lbs but 6.5 inches in total. I measured at the end of every level. It was very motivating.
  • lilybear84
    lilybear84 Posts: 57
    Options
    Im doing 30ds and also ripped in 30 right after. I figure 40 minutes workout is better than a 20 minute workout. I love it, im on level 2 of each video and its KILLER!! add me if you would like
  • JourneyOfaVirgo
    JourneyOfaVirgo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i do 30 day shred, with zumba, walking, and just added the biggest loser cardio. gotta mix it up!
  • jbrow2487
    jbrow2487 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Heeeeyo! I'm doing the 30 DS as well. What I do after doing the work out is I put 30-45 mins on my oven timer and do some extra stretching, abs and arm exercises. I also do a lot of walking in during the day, but I don't log this. With doing the 30DS each day and doing an extra half hour-ish of strength and stretching I'm burning about 500 + calories, but that is just what I like to do, everybody is different :)
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I do that along with Supreme 90 Day, Dancing, Walking, Jogging, Trying a little Running, Killer Buns and Thighs, Butt Bible and sometimes I try to incorporate Weight Lifting, which I am not crazy about. I am all over the place. I can not stick to one thing too long. I do what ever motivates me, day by day, as long as I am doing something.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    Id say 99% of the results ive seen ppl give from the shred have been the same- not alot of weight loss but a huge inch difference which id rather have lol I just started on Wed. I am going to be doing day 2 today (skipped a day to soreness) and I also walk 2-3 miles 5/6 days a week. I dont really plan on doing anything else except maybe swimming/hiking whatever exercise my family wants to do on Sundays and I will also throw in Jillians Yoga Meltdown DVD (which I love and hgihly reccommend!!) every now and than.

Hang in there i think you will see results soon, everytime i do this I feel my body start to tighten up almost instantly and the cellulite on my legs always seem to disappear around the first week :-) Make sure your eating good also and lots of protein!!
  • ruthvbailey
    ruthvbailey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know exactly how you feel because that is what I have been going through. I have lost 3 pounds in the last 2 months.. I have done the 30 day shred and did not loose anything. I also combined zumba, aerobics high low, weights, scupt and tone 5 days a week just having the weekend off. I was told by my doctor to keep going that it will eventually come off. I can see my body has changed as there is more definition in my abs and my clothes are certainly showing that they are loose now. Muscle does weight much heavier than fat. I would suggest changing your exercise pattern and make sure your drinking sufficient water. Also we are creatures of habit so change the food you eat instead of eating the same thing.

Hope this is of some help. Dont loose heart it will happen.
  • jamiefitandhealthy
    Options
    oh thank you!! is it available online? For free? Right now, im not in a position to buy...
  • journeyjessi
    Options
    I'm not sure how many inches I've lost (I'm on day 14 as well) but I've lost about 3 lbs so far, but I think that's because of my calorie cut (eating between 1200-1400 a day) and doing a ton of cardio. I can definitely see a difference in my arms though. I just want my hips to narrow out!
  • MrsMangler
    MrsMangler Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 DS now. I've been tracking calories and just try to move as much as possible. I don't "bank" the calories I get from exercise to eat more. I've set a calorie goal and I stick to it. My only thing with the video is you're doing the same muscle movement for several days in a row. I'm not questioning the results, it's just different for me. I'm used to working alternating muscle groups. I throw in some walking and swimming, any extra cardio I can.

I am also very goal oriented, and weight can be a hard thing to control. So instead of focusing on every pound, I focus on my food and exercise habits. I use weight loss more as a guide to see how well I am fueling and working my body. Weight loss is the desired effect, but to get there in the healthiest way possible, I focus on my food and exercise.
  • Abrandnewme36
    Abrandnewme36 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, I really needed to read all of them because I'm feeling extremly frustrated this morning. I think I'm gonna go buy a food scale and drop my calories down to 1200-1400 and see if I start seeing some differences. It's nice to see that I'm not alone in this battle......Thanks :)
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    oh thank you!! is it available online? For free? Right now, im not in a position to buy...

Day one week one of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is on youtube. It's about a half hour long. You can see if you like her attitude or not. I think she needs some editing, personally. Best to warm up before ( 10 minutes elliptical or somesuch) more than she offers and to stretch out afterward more than she offers. If you don't want to be too sore make sure to add some easy cardio movement at the end, like treadmill walking or easy rowing for 15 minutes or so. It helps the body recover. Jillian tries to fit it all into the 1/2 hour package but, best to resprect ones body and use Jillian for her ideas. Be careful and enjoy. It's free and effective. : )