Backhanded compliment about my fatitude

Options

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My cousin told me I needed uglier bridesmaids. I'm going to assume that's because of my back fat, not my busted face. Could be wrong ...
  • leezanicole
    Options
    Oh.. I have gotten the pregnant comment too. And its like :angry::brokenheart:
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I had a woman say to me, while I was standing on the curb waiting for my husband to pick me up with our brand new baby, "you just had a baby? Are you sure there aren't two more in there?"

And just a month ago, my father, who I haven't seen in a couple of years, says "are you still running?" (me: "yes but I've been injured so I've been struggling") my dad: "then it must be the thyroid because your sister has that and she's chubby too!" (and yes, I do happen to have a thyroid problem)

Edit: Come to think of it, that baby comment was 23 years ago. To this day I am still stung by that. Some people are truly rude.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I used to (and still do) get the "pretty face" comment. It has never offended me. I knew I was fat. I took the compliment for what it was and moved on because it was coming from someone who didn't really matter in my life - not worth the energy.

Anyone that matters to me in my life knows better than to even attempt to blow smoke up my *kitten* because I'd call bullsh!t on it in a second.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I wasn't upset by my coworker's comment. At least he had noticed that I was and am a healthy eater.

Unilke my evil boss M (same job) who once said to my request to work at home one day a week (something that she let all the guys who worked for do)

"Wouldn't you be afraid that your refridgerator would distract you from work?"

I think that comment said more about her eating habits than mine. The problem with my fridge, as my kids will tell you, is that is doesn't have any "cool" snack food unless you Chobani yogurt or baby carrots as cool snack food. The fridge is full of whole foods that have be sliced and diced and then cooked.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Despite my profile picture I actually rarely wear anything that shows any skin and I hate if I wear something fitted (like a pencil skirt or skinny jeans) and my mom will say "good for you"

like..."good for you not letting your fatness limit your clothing choices"

thanks mom
  • Jladd42
    Jladd42 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My son's care provider said to me once "I've noticed you've lost weight. That's good because when I first met you, you were big." She's asian as well...

A long time ago, (~6 yrs) I worked at this mom and pop grocery store and was having a bad day, and a huge line of customers. The customer i was currently ringing up said, "cheer up honey, put on a smile!" to which the customer in line behind him said "It's ok, she must be uncomfortable because it's so hot out and that baby in there must be so heavy!" I was not pregnant by any means...

people are ignorant. Surprisingly i was not offended by my son's care provider, but I've gotten used to the way the asian culture is, they are very direct. My mother in law is 100% filipino so I think I conditioned myself to shrug things off.

However, I will never forget the "pregnant" comment while certainly not pregnant. Those definitely hurt....
  • marissa4354
    marissa4354 Posts: 140
    Options
    I've gotten "you carry your weight well." So, my fat is shaped nicer than other people's? Yeah, okay.
    Actually that's not even close to what it means, and it is a compliment, but good job on being over-sensitive.

Wow, I've seen you on multiple posts, and all you are is negative. Show some support. That's what we're here for.
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    When my friends see how I exercise and what I usually eat they are surprised how I look - I should look 'normal' I've been told :(
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    yea I always get: you weigh (insert number here)?! you don't look it!

or my old throwing coach: "how much do you weigh 180?"
    Me: " 220"
    stunned coach: "well you're solid"
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    my favorite one when I was thirteen was when I was on a bike ride with my father. He was behind me, and said I quote "you know, you're only kind of like icing, like the fat is like icing on your body...me, i'm like a big cake all by myself."

No wonder I ended up with an eating disorder. I mean, wtf? What a weird analogy, and he thought that it would feel better if he commented on his fatness.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I don't know if I'd call it backhanded but when I was in junior high my two best friends said they liked me being as big as I was (I was between 230-250lbs and 5'2", so..) because it made me a comfortable pillow. And kid you not the fools used me as one.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My favorite back-handed compliment was when my nephew looked at me and said, "I liked you so much more when you were fat!"

Obviously he said it jokingly. We had just been trying to figure out where to eat and everywhere he recommended, I shot down. I guess I was more laid back about going to nasty *kitten* chinese buffets back then?
  • AbzRocks
    AbzRocks Posts: 45
    Options
    My neighbour said "you're a bit overweight but your husband still loves you doesn't he?" I put it down to dumb syndrome, unfortunately there are really dumb people in the world and my neighbour is one of them!
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've gotten "you carry your weight well." So, my fat is shaped nicer than other people's? Yeah, okay.
    Actually that's not even close to what it means, and it is a compliment, but good job on being over-sensitive.

Wow, I've seen you on multiple posts, and all you are is negative. Show some support. That's what we're here for.

I've noticed the same thing about the same person... just wanted to add that in :)
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I was asked yesterday if I had stopped eating.

I stuff my face constantly.
  • AbzRocks
    AbzRocks Posts: 45
    Options
    Well then someone mistaking you for being pregnant should be a compliment too cause they arn't saying you're fat right? People should not comment on others weight there is no positive way to take it.
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My MIL loves to tell me that she doesn't know why I have a weight problem, since I "barely eat anything".
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    My MIL loves to tell me that she doesn't know why I have a weight problem, since I "barely eat anything".

This for me as well...I ate very little and was very active and people wondered how I gained so much weight...Even I wondered for a long time too....lol
    My boyfriend and friends tells me this all the time, I don't think it is back handed either. Fat people are portrayed as stuffing their faces constantly with fast food, when we don't do that people are confused.

And this!!