C25K Challenge

Options

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    To all of you guys out there on the c25k journey...I was that fat guy on the couch that was a smoker and who never ever in a zillion years would even dare to dream of running, and QUIT c25k 3 times last year after week 1. I finished the program about a month ago and run a 10k at least twice a week now. My tips are simple...

1. DO warm up...and COOL down effectively. I tend to stretch AFTER the exercise is over. A good warm up to get your heartr ate moving..jump rope or walk at a brisk pace :-)

2. DO run outdoors, as most 5k races are NOT on treadmills. Also, the outdoors will offer you with different challenges like terrain, weather,stray dogs etc!!!

3. Hydrate properly..c25k is a short workout, you wont die from thirst in 30 minutes, so unless you REALLY need to carry a bulky water bottle with you, drink gatorade or water as soon as you are done. also, a Protein shake to help repair your muscles..try and drink the shake within 20 minutes of finishing the workout.

4.DO wear proper running shoes...crocs etc simply will NOT DO. you can get bewildered by the choices on offer, and most shops will analyse your running style on a treadmill and make suggestions. sounds great, but a lot of the time, the sales people are incentivised to sell certain brands and makes.

5.DO repeat any day or even a week that you find difficult or struggled with as often as you like. There is absolutely NO SHAME in doing this at all!!! In the same breath, if you get deep into the program and feel you have a little 'extra' left in the tank, you can also add a day from one of the earlier weeks as a little extra workout.

6.DO wear glasses/sunglasses especially if you are running in a park etc..you REALLY don't want those little insects getting stuck in your eye.

7.DO use a c25k app on your smart phone. the 'bluefin' c25k app is superb..it gives voice prompts over your music play list so you know exactly when to walk and when to run.

8.DO Listen to your body. If you feel you are hurting more than is usual or more than you can take, then stop and rest. Rest days are AS Important as the days you exercise.

9.DO Enjoy the exercises..yes, there are times when it is SO hard, but don't clock-watch if you can help it and run at a comfortable pace..here is no stipulated running 'speed' in c25k so please don't think you need to go hell for leather!

10. Check your heels. after 2 or 3 weeks into this program, you might notice little wings growing on your heels. you are becoming a RUNNER!!!!

Good luck to all of you and sincerely , I truly hope you get as much satisfaction and amazing sense of achievement from c25k as I did.

Oh...'Park runs' are a great first race..google them :-)

This is so helpful - thank you!
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 6 Day 3 so I'd love to have you add me for support!
  • Marglyne12
    Marglyne12 Posts: 26
    Options
    I completed C25K week 4 and can barley walk. I am determined to Run, but looks like I need a rest. :ohwell:
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I completed Week1 Day2 last night but struggled with terrible pains in my shins. Got loads of great advice and it looks like I need to learn how to run hee-hee

So, back to the drawing board I go because there's no way I'm giving up!
  • Smccau3
    Smccau3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Where did you find the playlists that give you cues for c25k? I dont have an iphone but I have an ipod. Thanx.

My favorite playlists are on this site: http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html

You just download them and add them to your ipod. Depending on your music preferences, there are a ton out there!
  • Smccau3
    Options
    <---- c25k success story right here! I just graduated last week. :drinker:

Congrats on finishing! Feel free to give us any tips that helped you through your journey.
  • Smccau3
    Options
    I completed Week1 Day2 last night but struggled with terrible pains in my shins. Got loads of great advice and it looks like I need to learn how to run hee-hee

So, back to the drawing board I go because there's no way I'm giving up!

The same thing happened to me. I think it's time to invest in a good pair of running shoes.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Another C25K graduate here!! :drinker: :drinker:

I finished this programme last year and since then have run various races and a half marathon. I have also joined a local running club and I go out with them 3 times a week where the runs (well the ones I do anyway) range from 5 up to 12 miles. We also did a 16 mile Jubilee Celebration run 10 days or so ago.

The C25K programme is amazing. I never ever in a million years thought that I would run anything, I always said I hated running and could never do it, but this programme is brilliant and makes a real difference. I used the NHS Podcasts when I did it and I never knew a minute could be so long on that first day of week one!!! :laugh:

If you can run outside rather than on a treadmill, try and do it - not only will you be out in the fresh air, but you'll find running much more interesting if there are things to look at as you trot round rather than just having a wall in front of you. Takes your mind off your legs/breathing/heart beat (delete as appropriate).

Make a commitment to yourself to see it through, but as others have said, remember there is absolutely nothing wrong with repeating any of the weeks to make sure you're happy with your progress. And for those worried about the 20 min run in Week 5 (or 6, can't remember) you'll be amazed at how it's easier than you think. Running is 80% mental and 20% physical - be positive and believe in yourself and you can do it!
  • MsBrdlv
    MsBrdlv Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I completed W1D2 yesterday. It went so much smoother than day 1! I could definitely tell that my endurance increased between the two. I also plan to run on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, as well as go on a short bike ride on off days. Looking forward to W1D3 tomorrow! (Wait, did I just say I was looking forward to exercise?!?! O.o )
  • Alexface21
    Alexface21 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm about to start Week 5 today for the second time (I started C25k last year and when Winter rolled by, I lost motivation).

I've been doing really well this year; I started five or six weeks ago, but instead of three days a week, I've been doing five. It sounds quite intensive, but I've been feeling a lot better than I did when I was doing it last year, and strangely I've got to a point where it takes more willpower to give myself a break than to go out running!

The good thing is that I've noticed it working. I lost half a stone since I started over a month ago (with the help of better eating), I've noticed my muscles improving, my stamina improving, and feeling healthier in general.

A key part of it though, I feel, was that I took a week long break in the form of a holiday. I did no running in it, but did go on some relaxed walks, as well as not snacking as much as usual. When I got back home and did my first run since the holiday, it felt brilliant, and seemed to do me even more good than usual. So I would recommend taking a few days off (and maybe just doing light walks), especially if anyone is finding it a bit tough, or has any aches/pains.

I'll post later when I've done my W5D1. :D
  • darkknightfan
    darkknightfan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Moving into Week5 starting today .. I have a feeling this one is going to kick my butt...LOL
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good luck with week 5! I'm still nervous about starting it on Monday or Tuesday. I have 1 more day in week 4 tomorrow. I'm going to be doing week 5 while I'm at a campground...so that ought to be interesting. Currently I run out in the middle of nowhere on very flat land and I'm surrounded by corn! Almost no houses and very little traffic so basically no one is around to watch me struggle. I am going to be running early before it gets hot, so hopefully most campers are still in bed or else I'll feel like I have an audience :embarassed: . I am looking forward to the scenery, but not the people! UGH!
  • Alexface21
    Options
    W5D1 done, and I must say I found it quite easy. I may repeat it tomorrow and maybe make it a bit more intense, but I'm generally happy with the timings.

What probably helped was following the advice of a youtuber who's been documenting her C25k progress. She suggested doing the first five-minute segment at a slow pace, to get accustomed to it, and then in the second and third five-minute segments, alternating 10 seconds of moderate/fast running with 20 seconds of slower jogging. It really makes the time fly by, and five minutes suddenly doesn't seem like that much anymore!
  • SRH7
    Options
    (Wait, did I just say I was looking forward to exercise?!?! O.o )

:smile: Freaky, isn't it?!! I'm feeling tetchy that I'm at work tomorrow morning... when all I want to do is run!!!
  • Smccau3
    Options
    Ready for W1D2 tomorrow morning (though I am definitely not looking forward to it!).

Will let you all know how it goes.
  • Alexface21
    Options
    Ready for W1D2 tomorrow morning (though I am definitely not looking forward to it!).

Good luck! And hey, keep sticking at it and you'll probably find yourself looking forward to your next run. :) That's when you know you're motivated, and it's a great feeling. :)

-

I'm thinking of doing W5D3 today and repeating for a few days; any thoughts? I think some straight 20 min runs will do me a lot of good.
  • SRH7
    Options

Day 2 will feel so much easier - I promise you! Just focus on the buzz you will get when you finish.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4 and feeling pretty good! I have to admit that week 5 scares me (A LOT!) Not sure how I'm gonna do it. And add to the fact that I'll be running it at a campground instead of my usual country road. Wish me luck next week!
  • Smccau3
    Options
    I ended up not doing my run this morning. I would give you the excuse I made for myself, but they are just excuses.

I'll be out tonight, but if I get home, and can still see in front of me, I'll go for my run tonight. Otherwise, it will have to be tomorrow morning.
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you all want to join me on this challenge!

My plan is to do Monday, Wednesday, Friday runs. If you're a first timer, we can start together Monday!

For those of you who have already started, any advice to us beginners? I know I struggled with my test run yesterday.

Just don't give up! If you have to jog slower, then jog slower. Same with the walking portions. Day one of last week and this week, I walked at a 3.8 but did a 4.0 on the other days. I also did a warm up jog today at a 4.8, but when I do the program, I try to do a 5.5. It is hard, but just breathe and don't give up!

The hardest part of me is learning which aches are normal body aches and which I should pay attention to. Also, if you can run another day a week, repeat the third day before moving on to the next day. I've heard others do it. I didn't have to this past week, but I might for week 2. I also try to push myself to go a little fast/longer on day 3 so the next week won't seem so bad.

I just finished week 3 and starting week 4 on monday and your plan is endtical to mine... i just got up to running at 4.5 coming from 3.5.... so hopefully I can continue and get thru the next 5 weeks !