Bad breathe since diet?

Options
So i have been dieting since1st January this year and ever since then I have noticed that my breathe hasnt smelt the most pleasant.

Ive never suffered with bad breathe until now. I brush my teeth twice a day and floss once a day so I know its not my poor mouth hygiene (although I admit i should do more lol). People around me havent noticed it only I have, also I feel like I can taste a bad taste in my mouth alot too. ughh its horrible! Anyone else had this problem since your diet?!?!?

Replies

• mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i know what u mean i always chew gum since i changed my lifestyle of healthy living
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    ooo so its not just me then :o!!! Yes maybe ill get some gum that sounds like a good idea lol tyvm for your comment, thought i was the only one :o
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Some meds give a dry mouth. Yuky taste, less saliva, and Not good on teeth.You need to hydrate more, and gum.
    Also, a metal taste could possible be a certain vitamin deficiency. So, you may want to pay attention to that. Good Luck.
  • angelraguel
    Options
    yes I think that could be another problem. I find it very hard to drink water or any other drink for that matter, my mum always used to moan that I dont drink enough and will have problems later on in life etc I am trying really hard to drink more. Its not a metal taste in mouth (I take a vitamin tablet evreyday but am trying to increase my fruit and veg intake too) it feels more like when you have a cold and have crap at the back of your throat and i just dont know how to explain it lol, it just tastes horrible.

Ty for your comment

Ok so I need gum and more water :D!
  • HappilyCyn
    HappilyCyn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have you increased your consumption of animal based protein? This includes meat, eggs, dairy, etc?
  • AngieWpg
    AngieWpg Posts: 27
    Options
    If you're eating very little carbs it could be that you're in ketosis. It's a good/bad thing right because it means you are losing more fat but it gives bad breath.
  • angelraguel
    Options
    I have increased my meat a little bit but not by much. I dont eat eggs and i still have milk everyday.

ketosis? I am trying to eat fewer carbs to reduce my sugars as I have PCOS but havent really had the time to put this into practice yet as been to busy with exams. I am still eating bread and pasta but next week am hoping to cut down a bit. Low carbs gives bad breathe =s???
  • AngieWpg
    AngieWpg Posts: 27
    Options
    Low carb diets such as Atkins puts your body into a state of ketosis. Basically with very little carbs in your body your brain/liver go into Ketosis and use fatty acids instead of glucose, thereby burning fat.

I know someone who did atkins very well and lost a lot but as soon as she ate any carbs her body came out of ketosis and she gained it all back so you don't want to be in it by living a lifestyle you can't sustain.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My brother was always fit, but he had bad breath. He went to some Korean herbalist who brewed him several bags of really nasty tasting bitter dark liquid which he consumed every day. His bad breath went away, as well as his acne.
  • AuntieG50
    AuntieG50 Posts: 1
    Options
    My vote is for ketosis which causes a distinct breath odor from acetone.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Bad breath can be a symptom of many health problems. Check with a doctor. It could also just be something else in your changed diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Bad breath can be a symptom of many health problems. Check with a doctor. It could also just be something else in your changed diet.

Agreed.

Also, you will not be 'in ketosis' unless you are on very low carbs.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Check out "Hunger Odor" and see if you fit these signs and symptoms. I could not see your diary but you know yourself better than anyone else :smile: